News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Finnigan

How is this "cutting corners"? Yes, this is less expensive them a monorail expansion, but it still provides an efficient way to move people around the property. If they wanted to be cheap they could have done nothing and let people to continue to suffer with busses.

They have the opportunity to expand the monorail system, a staple to the Disney brand, yet they won't do it due to financial concerns. To be honest, I would much rather ride a bus than a gondala. That's gonna be so awkward sitting in a confined space with another family besides your own.

Rteetz

They have the opportunity to expand the monorail system, a staple to the Disney brand, yet they won't do it due to financial concerns. To be honest, I would much rather ride a bus than a gondala. That's gonna be so awkward sitting in a confined space with another family besides your own.
Not any different than sitting in a confined space of a monorail with people you don't know.

Kamikaze

So, random question... have they thought of using a Peoplemover-like system, instead of the gondolas? (Sorry if this has been asked before)

Peoplemover style would have a lot of the same costs as the monorail. It's only advantage would be many more trains. But you'd still need to heavily plan around roads, water, large forested areas, etc or risk having to recreate the forest and water elsewhere.

Kamikaze

You mean a confined space like a bus? Or a ride vehicle?

It's really fun to see the people that have no frame of reference other than the old Skyway. This is nothing like that.

People enough about pricing now. Imagine if they dumped a few hundred million into a monorail system. At a conservative estimate, a monorail costs $20 million a mile. If this system costs more than $50m total, it better be gold plated.

rushtest4echo

It goes way beyond finances, but that's been covered at least 20 times in the thread and probably 10,000 times in the decade plus worth of monorail fantasy threads...

Kamikaze

Tram loading to serve EPCOT area resorts. I don't remember seeing the trams since my "obsession" started in 2004.

2004 is way too late. I believe it closed when Y&B opened, but I'm not 100% which is why I asked. As far as I know they only ever served Swan and Dolphin.

Lots of inspiration may have come from the Zootopia Skyway:

View attachment 190289

There's no way that this has only been planned since work on Zootopia started. The plans must have been created long before that.

Although the project is named for a movie...

Gotta be Peter Pan, right?

raymusiccity

It goes way beyond finances, but that's been covered at least 20 times in the thread and probably 10,000 times in the decade plus worth of monorail fantasy threads...

Maybe they can incorporate some of the footings from the original monorail expansion? :)

Seriously, though, I'm sure the bidding wars will commence sooner than later for 'sponsoring' the system. Disney will probably sell individual naming rights for each, individual gondola!
IMG_1469.JPG

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Huh? That makes no sense. I could see if you prefer to just drive your own car to be "alone" without strangers but how is the monorail or a bus any different? If anything with gondolas you are more likely to have some privacy since people won't need to wait 10 - 15 minutes for the next one to come. Aside from the rush at park closing it will probably be possible to just wait for the next gondola to avoid sitting with others.

Disney-Trains

I don't think it goes beyond finances... If they both cost anywhere close to the same... Disney would choose monorails I think. based on other projects, an aerial tram is wayyyyy cheaper than monorail or even light rail.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since 1851 when they started keeping track the Orlando area has been struck by 12 actual hurricanes. On average about 1 every 14 years. They do tend to come in bunches and for some reason on even years. It doesn't seem to be an obvious concern to me given it's a pretty infrequent event.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
most other mass transit systems aren't easily and completely destroyed by hurricanes though, so building something that could easily be knocked out by a hurricane, in an area know for hurricanes... is like, not such a good idea. It's like building a house of cards in a wind tunnel
I don't see why it would be easily or completely destroyed in a hurricane. The Roosevelt Island Tram in NYC was the first form of mass transit up and running after hurricane Sandy hit the area. It re-opened several days earlier than the subways or regional rails.

Kamikaze

I don't see why it would be easily or completely destroyed in a hurricane. The Roosevelt Island Tram in NYC was the first form of mass transit up and running after hurricane Sandy hit the area. It re-opened several days earlier than the subways or regional rails.

Roosevelt Island Tramway is amazing engineering considering the size of the vehicles and it has been running since the 70s with only two issues in that time. It doesn't run constantly all day but it does during rush hour.

Creathir

So here is a thought:

There have been discussions of an attraction in the space in France.

What if that is actually the WDWG station for EPCOT?

Inside the security permitter, and it lines up perfectly with the BW parking lot turning point...

The theming could even be "French Alps"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom