News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

I experienced an interesting procedure today.

I was traveling from CBR to Epcot around noon with a mobility scooter. There was about a 15 minute wait, down and up the unused south ramp followed by a couple of switchbacks. Wheelchairs were being directed to the end of the queue, and diverted to a separate waiting area when they reached where the queue passed the wheelchair boarding area.

Eventually, they worked the main queue down to empty, but there were still 8 or so wheelchairs waiting. At that point, they sent all the waiting chairs to the main boarding area, slowed the rope down to creep speed, and loaded us one by one into able-bodied cabins. They slowed and sped up the rope several times, even bringing it to a full stop once, until all the wheelchairs were loaded.

The operation was being supervised by a manager in the boarding area. I was impressed that they addressed the issue rather than just letting the wheelchairs wait until they could all get thru the wheelchair boarding area.

trainplane3

I experienced an interesting procedure today.

I was traveling from CBR to Epcot around noon with a mobility scooter. There was about a 15 minute wait, down and up the unused south ramp followed by a couple of switchbacks. Wheelchairs were being directed to the end of the queue, and diverted to a separate waiting area when they reached where the queue passed the wheelchair boarding area.

Eventually, they worked the main queue down to empty, but there were still 8 or so wheelchairs waiting. At that point, they sent all the waiting chairs to the main boarding area, slowed the rope down to creep speed, and loaded us one by one into able-bodied cabins. They slowed and sped up the rope several times, even bringing it to a full stop once, until all the wheelchairs were loaded.

The operation was being supervised by a manager in the boarding area. I was impressed that they addressed the issue rather than just letting the wheelchairs wait until they could all get thru the wheelchair boarding area.
When I was there last week I noticed that too. They were really using the "creep" function of it regularly. It always seemed like it was constant stops on the Epcot line but now it actually slows and speeds up nicely. Just like what @Lift Blog says:

Been like that since day one.

I rode the Skyliner a bunch this weekend and there seems to have been a deliberate shift away from stops in favor of very slow slows. I did not experience a single stop on any of the lines. Good strategy to keep things moving.
Even though it's nothing special, I caught a speed change right at launch the other day. Slowed down a bit and sped right back up. Not the full creep speed but noticeably dropped speed. If this was right around opening, I have a feeling this would've been a stop. It really is a great move to shift to this kind of operation finally.

Crazydisneyfanluke

When I was there last week I noticed that too. They were really using the "creep" function of it regularly. It always seemed like it was constant stops on the Epcot line but now it actually slows and speeds up nicely. Just like what @Lift Blog says:

Even though it's nothing special, I caught a speed change right at launch the other day. Slowed down a bit and sped right back up. Not the full creep speed but noticeably dropped speed. If this was right around opening, I have a feeling this would've been a stop. It really is a great move to shift to this kind of operation finally.

I wonder if the gondolas entering the main line from the Wheelchair loading area are causing issues.

Are they still using the wheelchair loading area?

trainplane3

I wonder if the gondolas entering the main line from the Wheelchair loading area are causing issues.

It'd be wheelchair/ECV loading/unloading happening at Riviera 99% of the time. At IG and CBR, they're able to use the handicap loading area. There's no reason not to use it (aside from staffing it). But as the user above me posted, during a high amount of handicap loading they'll push them to the regular load area and creep the line as needed.

joelkfla

Yes. The loading thru the main boarding area was only because the designated wheelchair cabins that are automatically routed to the wheelchair boarding area could not keep up with the number of wheelchair parties waiting to board, and there was surplus capacity of able-bodied cabins.

Cabins are still being boarded at the wheelchair loading area at the same rate as always. The countdown timer starts at 90 seconds, and there are maybe 10 seconds or so more before the cabin starts moving. So it's about one every 1:40 minutes (if there are no rope slowdowns or pauses.)

Crazydisneyfanluke

It'd be wheelchair/ECV loading/unloading happening at Riviera 99% of the time. At IG and CBR, they're able to use the handicap loading area. There's no reason not to use it (aside from staffing it). But as the user above me posted, during a high amount of handicap loading they'll push them to the regular load area and creep the line as needed.
Yes. The loading thru the main boarding area was only because the designated wheelchair cabins that are automatically routed to the wheelchair boarding area could not keep up with the number of wheelchair parties waiting to board, and there was surplus capacity of able-bodied cabins.

Cabins are still being boarded at the wheelchair loading area at the same rate as always. The countdown timer starts at 90 seconds, and there are maybe 10 seconds or so more before the cabin starts moving. So it's about one every 1:40 minutes (if there are no rope slowdowns or pauses.)

Thank guys, I haven't seen the gondola operations in person yet, even though i've been back a few times after they opened. Just not a fan of being suspended in a box on a rope. lol

RSoxNo1

What is done for strollers? Same operations?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
What is done for strollers? Same operations?
Strollers go through the normal line. Yes, you can bring a stroller on the Skyliner. ... Maximum stroller sizes for the Skyliner are 30×48 inches. Note: Disney's max stroller sizes for the parks are actually 31×52 inches so it's possible some double strollers would be fine for bringing into the parks, but too large to fit into the Skyliner cabin.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No, strollers board with everyone else, onto the slowly moving cabins. Most single strollers can be rolled on; double strollers must be folded and carried on.
1620870177589.png

RSoxNo1

Strollers go through the normal line. Yes, you can bring a stroller on the Skyliner. ... Maximum stroller sizes for the Skyliner are 30×48 inches. Note: Disney's max stroller sizes for the parks are actually 31×52 inches so it's possible some double strollers would be fine for bringing into the parks, but too large to fit into the Skyliner cabin.
Do they load slow enough to safely get a stroller into a moving cabin? I recall entering without a stroller but it was a year and a half (and a now 16 month old) ago.

matt9112

Strange that they wouldn't just align park requirements with the skyline for simplicitys sake.

lazyboy97o

Strange that they wouldn't just align park requirements with the skyline for simplicitys sake.
Probably to avoid the publicity of making such a small change that is likely not really an issue most of the time. The 31” clear is based on a single panel door having a minimum clearance of 32” for wheelchairs. The Skyliner also has to have that space but for whatever reason the manufacturer probably rounds do the even 30” instead of 31”.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
They bought an off-the-rack system for ski resorts, which typically don’t have to deal with double strollers. Mine I think would have fit but they made me fold it anyway; ALL doubles must be folded.

TiggerDad

Probably to avoid the publicity of making such a small change that is likely not really an issue most of the time. The 31” clear is based on a single panel door having a minimum clearance of 32” for wheelchairs. The Skyliner also has to have that space but for whatever reason the manufacturer probably rounds do the even 30” instead of 31”.
The manufacturer probably rounds in the metric system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom