News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
An expansion to Disney Springs would not require cutting through Bonnet Creek. WDW (or Reedy Creek) still owns enough land, between Buena Vista Drive and the Bonnet Creek development to facilitate that. In fact, according to an Imagineer that posts on USENET, when Buena Vista Dr was overhauled and widened recently, the bridge over the access canal that goes through OKW was raised for the possibility of boat transport between DS and CBR. *** "for the possiblity", meaning no immediate plans to do anything there, just future planning. On the other hand, my opinion is that they still would not extend the Gondola system to DS for the same reason that there are no busses from DS to the parks, to make it hard for anyone to cheat the parking cost by parking (free) at DS and using Disney Transport to get (directly) to the parks. OF COURSE this is all just my opinion so no need to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

PS. The very same Imagineer once said that the "current" Gondola system would never go further west than it does now. She said that the western area of WDW might get it's own, small, transportation system, like the Gondolas, but that the plan is (was) to connect the eastern area resorts and parks / the western area resorts and parks / the northern area resorts and parks, by a larger, more efficient system of some sort.

This all seems to comport with varied rumored plans in the past including a dedicated lane system for some type of mass transit vehicle (whether rail, wheeled, automated, etc...).

But also, those rumored plans kept changing and shifting.

And now....

trainplane3

This thing is, as the kids say, freaking "wack". The idea is "simple" enough but to keep it moving without stoppages will be an incredible undertaking. This will be neat to see in person, assuming it is built.
QutoeCz.jpg

1hDfV5n.jpg

XIXklQg.jpg

NJVhx0V.jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This thing is, as the kids say, freaking "wack". The idea is "simple" enough but to keep it moving without stoppages will be an incredible undertaking. This will be neat to see in person, assuming it is built.
XIXklQg.jpg
I absolutely do not trust the single-point-of-failure cabin/cable connection system.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I absolutely do not trust the single-point-of-failure cabin/cable connection system.

I would guess then that in the diagram that the point labled "144" is the endless void you fall into if there's no connection.

Also, keep in mind that the number of connection systems utilized by air travel is less than one!

:D

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I would guess then that in the diagram that the point labled "144" is the endless void you fall into if there's no connection.

Also, keep in mind that the number of connection systems utilized by air travel is less than one!

:D
I was fortunate enough to survive a stuck elevator in a Cessna once... which is why I now distrust single points of failure.

Lift Blog

Well guys... It turns out it's best that the Disney Skyliner didn't have airconditioner's, With the virus and all the hysteric's going on....

Good move Disney! 👍

When Disney Parks do reopen, I think the Skyliner will prove to be one of the better parts of the social distancing equation. Every group can have their own cabin without having to share with others. Capacity and frequency are both high so less need for long queues. Much better than buses, rides, monorails, boats, etc.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
When Disney Parks do reopen, I think the Skyliner will prove to be one of the better parts of the social distancing equation. Every group can have their own cabin without having to share with others. Capacity and frequency are both high so less need for long queues. Much better than buses, rides, monorails, boats, etc.

... almost like Disney knew this was going to happen. 🤔 ;)

Captain Neo

yea but how are they going to sanitize them after each customer rides?

Captain Neo

You don't, that's silly.

sanitizing after every other ride is going to only be theatre, if you are in a busy place like WDW, an amusement park, or something like Times Square, there's nothing you can do about germs. It's a fact of life.

Big difference between germs that might make you a little sick at worst and a new virus with a high mortality rate

and ride vehicles at a privately owned and well controlled resort/theme park is very different than a public area of a major city

nickys

Premium Member
Big difference between germs that might make you a little sick at worst and a new virus with a high mortality rate

and ride vehicles at a privately owned and well controlled resort/theme park is very different than a public area of a major city

So will they sanitise the buses after every trip? That’s a maybe. But what about when someone gets off at an intermediate stop? Is the driver going to come and spray the seat?

As long as you’re not touching your face, the biggest risk is fellow guests near by. The cabins will be sanitised at regular intervals, but not after every guest.

Creathir

Gonna go out on a limb here, if you’re that concerned about the virus, maybe heading off to an amusement park is not the best idea for you.

No one is making anyone go to Walt Disney World.
You are voluntarily exposing yourself based on your desire to partake in the amusement activities of said park.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Define "high mortality rate."

We still don't know the exact rate for SARS-Cov-2 because we still don't know how many people have had it and recovered.

We do know it hits older people and those with pre-existing conditions harder than those who are healthier... but not all the time/everyone...

We just don't know. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Define "safe."

Safe, to me, means don't touch your face after riding the bucket line until you've had a chance to wash your hands.

Captain Neo

Gonna go out on a limb here, if you’re that concerned about the virus, maybe heading off to an amusement park is not the best idea for you.

No one is making anyone go to Walt Disney World.
You are voluntarily exposing yourself based on your desire to partake in the amusement activities of said park.

yea Disney isn’t going to put themselves at risk of lawsuits and bad press and potentially loosing billions because “hey it’s voluntary!”

Rich Brownn

They do for Alligators, The brain eating bacteria that's pretty prevalent on their property, annnnnnnnnddddddd mosquito carried diseases.

It's not a big stretch...
Actually it is... you have to deliberately put yourself in harm's way for the bacteria (go swimming in a posted no-swinning zone) and go in restricted areas for gators. (And when the kid got eaten by a gator there was tons of negative publicity)

Kobe!!

The Disney monorail system requires a security check to board. I’m still surprised the skyliners are built outside of the “secure” bubble.
Eh, yes and no... you have to "go through" security at each resort entrance, no....?
Actually it is... you have to deliberately put yourself in harm's way for the bacteria (go swimming in a posted no-swinning zone) and go in restricted areas for gators. (And when the kid got eaten by a gator there was tons of negative publicity)
Too soon...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom