News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In the few legitimate expansion proposals I have seen for the Skyliner, *none* of them have involved using the existing CBR Station in any greater capacity.

I can't imagine any of the current stations being expandable. The best that can be done is plopping down a new station on a new line near a current station and have people walk through a concourse to change lines. Which would be what's done in most metro systems.

This would then change a terminus into an exchange station greatly increasing its traffic, which is an additional issue to deal with.

It certainly seems that they didn't design it for expansion with some of the choices they made (e.g., not having Riviera be a terminus/transfer station). They wanted just one hub with one gondola storage facility. Talk about painting oneself into a corner.

jinx8402

I can't imagine any of the current stations being expandable. The best that can be done is plopping down a new station on a new line near a current station and have people walk through a concourse to change lines. Which would be what's done in most metro systems.

This would then change a terminus into an exchange station greatly increasing its traffic, which is an additional issue to deal with.

It certainly seems that they didn't design it for expansion with some of the choices they made (e.g., not having Riviera be a terminus/transfer station). They wanted just one hub with one gondola storage facility. Talk about painting oneself into a corner.

I saw one mock up (think it was just someones idea, and not anything as an official rumor) with a station on the other side of the generation gap bridge, that would go south to osceola pkwy then turns to blizzard beach/AK. I could see that as a way to expand the pop/aoa station and connect the AK area with the others.

TrainsOfDisney

I saw one mock up (think it was just someones idea, and not anything as an official rumor) with a station on the other side of the generation gap bridge, that would go south to osceola pkwy then turns to blizzard beach/AK. I could see that as a way to expand the pop/aoa station and connect the AK area with the others.

That’s a pretty far trek. The skyliner works really well on the short jumps from dhs and pop. I could see a new line connecting all stars, DAK, Blizzard Beach, AKL, and Coronado (in that example using blizzard beach as the transfer point.)

Creathir

The only thing I could see would be a conversion of the turn station at BW into a legitimate station, and even that is really far fetched, and more like two stations sitting side by side.
I would think any expansion would be independent systems, really unconnected from the current system.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That’s a pretty far trek. The skyliner works really well on the short jumps from dhs and pop. I could see a new line connecting all stars, DAK, Blizzard Beach, AKL, and Coronado (in that example using blizzard beach as the transfer point.)

Indeed. At 11 mph, a very long line does take a really long time. At some point, people would prefer a packed bus cruising at 50 mph and being 15 minutes less travel time to a more comfortable but very long mode of transport.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The only thing I could see would be a conversion of the turn station at BW into a legitimate station, and even that is really far fetched,

Farfetched indeed since the turn station can't handle guests getting on or off. Wasn't built for it and can't be converted into it. So, they'd have to build a station that is pretty much just like the RIV station. That would mean demo'ing the turn station and building a new one.

Creathir

Farfetched indeed since the turn station can't handle guests getting on or off. Wasn't built for it and can't be converted into it. So, they'd have to build a station that is pretty much just like the RIV station. That would mean demo'ing the turn station and building a new one.
Theoretically you could build up platforms in the air with ramps down on either side to accomplish it without destroying the existing structure.

Creathir

There isn't enough time to get people in and out both sides.

Not to mention having to install elevators and/or ridiculously long ramps for ADA.
The time in and out is probably the largest issue with it. An elevator and/or ramps is a simple issue.
I don’t believe they actually will do this, just saying it’s the only way I could see them interfacing with the existing system.

RSoxNo1

I think if they can help it, they will avoid having any pass through stations on any line expansion.

Also, not having moving platforms for load/unload was absolutely a mistake.

Purduevian

I think you might be referring to my proposal? Like you said totally fan made with no inside information. It would be a ~15 minute trip from Pop/ AoA to AK with a short stop at a Blizzard Beach Through Station. The line would be as complicated as the CB to Epcot Line (2 end stations, a turn station, and a through station) , but would be significantly longer.
Just looking at a map. I would add a line from AoA/Pop with a through station at Blizzard Beach continuing on to AK. Assuming Disney does not want to make anyone transfer more that once. It would eliminate the following bus routes
Caribbean Beach to Animal Kingdom
Caribbean Beach to Blizzard Beach
Pop Century to Animal Kingdom
Pop Century to Blizzard Beach
Art of animation to Animal Kingdom
Art of animation to Blizzard Beach

Depending on Disney's feeling it might also eliminate Riviera to AK and Blizzard beach, but then we would be looking at 2 transfers instead of 1.
Estimated times:
Pop to Turn Station = 50 seconds
Turn station (based on Epcot Turn Station): ~45 seconds
Turn station to Blizzard Beach: 8 minutes 20 seconds
In through station ~45 seconds
Blizzard Beach to AK: 5 minutes 15 seconds

Total time from Pop to AK: ~16 minutes
Total time from Caribbean beach to AK: ~19 minutes
Total time from Riviera to AK: ~21 minutes

View attachment 412104

Magic Feather

I think if they can help it, they will avoid having any pass through stations on any line expansion.

Also, not having moving platforms for load/unload was absolutely a mistake.
At grade loading would not be possible with a moving platform. At grade is much more important than a moving platform.

RSoxNo1

At grade loading would not be possible with a moving platform. At grade is much more important than a moving platform.
Can you go into greater detail here. Why would a moving platform not be possible? Didn't we all grow up with "The platform is moving at the same speed as your vehicle"? I think stepping into a moving vehicle from a stationary platform is going to result in tripping and lawsuits.

solidyne

Can you go into greater detail here. Why would a moving platform not be possible? Didn't we all grow up with "The platform is moving at the same speed as your vehicle"? I think stepping into a moving vehicle from a stationary platform is going to result in tripping and lawsuits.
If there were a hyphen between his "At" and his "grade," his meaning would have been clearer. "At-grade loading would not be possible..."

Magic Feather

Why not?
Not questioning what you said, just genuinely curious.
As @solidyne pointed out, I meant at-grade. There are two main types of continuous moving walkway systems: turntables and conveyor belts/speedramps/moving walkways. Admittedly, a turntable could be used for at-grade continuous loading, but I can't think of a single gondola system with curved loading, plus turntables are expensive to maintain, and would cost a bunch to be custom (assuming Doppelmayr could even manufacture that without extensive R&D). So that leaves conveyor belts, which cannot be loaded at-grade. This is because all sides of a moving belt must be surrounded by some sort of lip that is above the belt itself to protect it from fraying on the sides or bringing people down with it. So, as a result, any vehicle loading alongside it would at best be at-grade with the lip of the moving belt. This is why all attraction rvs with continuous loading require you to step up (Like Mansion) or have vehicles situated above the walkway (Like Forbidden Journey).

TrojanUSC

As @solidyne pointed out, I meant at-grade. There are two main types of continuous moving walkway systems: turntables and conveyor belts/speedramps/moving walkways. Admittedly, a turntable could be used for at-grade continuous loading, but I can't think of a single gondola system with curved loading, plus turntables are expensive to maintain, and would cost a bunch to be custom (assuming Doppelmayr could even manufacture that without extensive R&D). So that leaves conveyor belts, which cannot be loaded at-grade. This is because all sides of a moving belt must be surrounded by some sort of lip that is above the belt itself to protect it from fraying on the sides or bringing people down with it. So, as a result, any vehicle loading alongside it would at best be at-grade with the lip of the moving belt. This is why all attraction rvs with continuous loading require you to step up (Like Mansion) or have vehicles situated above the walkway (Like Forbidden Journey).

Could always just dig up the Mannequins dance floor and run a line right into Morimoto? 😂

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Good explanation. Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom