News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

smooch

You are quite literally wrong. It’s ok to misremember things, that’s fine. But pop century has since it opened ran slightly above the all stars. Generally about 10-15 dollars.

Your personal gripes with the resort are not issues that result in Disney charging less nor are they shared with most others.

Those balcony parties you speak of occur at all value and moderate resorts.

I didn't know these 24/7 beer parties were a thing, I need to plan a trip to one of the value / moderate resorts soon.

Purduevian

I just think parking fees is the easiest part to solve... and in the grand scheme not the driving factor.

Magic Kingdom's parking lot can hold over 12,000 cars. Assuming about half the spaces each day are used for paying guests (no AP, no Resort Guests), that totals $54,750,000 a year ($25 a car). Assuming all the parks average 50% capacity (probably a low estimate), its about $200,000,000 a year or approximately 1 toy story land. It may not be the main factor stopping Disney from connecting Disney springs to parks... but it is certainly a factor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Magic Kingdom's parking lot can hold over 12,000 cars. Assuming about half the spaces each day are used for paying guests (no AP, no Resort Guests), that totals $54,750,000 a year ($25 a car). Assuming all the parks average 50% capacity (probably a low estimate), its about $200,000,000 a year or approximately 1 toy story land. It may not be the main factor stopping Disney from connecting Disney springs to parks... but it is certainly a factor.

Again... you can come up with a system to decide if you charge parking fees or not. It's done everywhere... It's a hurdle, not what should drive master planning.

Purduevian

Again... you can come up with a system to decide if you charge parking fees or not. It's done everywhere... It's a hurdle, not what should drive master planning.

I'm not saying it can't be overcome... but I think it's a huge hurdle that many are just brushing off as something they'll just figure out without any trouble.

Ripken10

I doubt a very high percentage of people would choose to park at Disney Spring for free parking over parking at the Magic Kingdom. People would do it, but not a high percentage of people. They also would have to factor in what added revenue they might get at Disney Springs if people did park there. It would be an interesting analysis that I am sure Disney has already done and will continue to do.

Phil12

The crash in tourism after 9/12 affected all resorts, not just Pop century. It wasn’t a problem with pop century it was a problem with tourism in general. They even closed an entire moderate resort. They had trouble filling all room and offered discounts at all properties not just Pop Century.

Rack rate at Pop was never identical to the All-Stars. It has always been slightly higher than the All-Stars and remains that way today.

9/11 affected Pop Century much more because Pop Century was scheduled to open in 2001 but due to 9/11 a new opening date was set for March, 2002. However, tourism did not recover and Pop Century experienced another delay (of more than a year and a half) until it finally opened in December of 2003. The rates at that time were the same as the All Stars except that the Pop Century had to discount more than the All Stars in order to attract guests (due to a number of previously mentioned factors).

It was only about six or seven years ago that Pop Century raised its rack rates and that was because AoA opened in 2012. And, of course, they need some extra money for the Skyliner. However you may continue to believe as you wish.

ABQ

Do you have ANPR systems for parking in the US?
I've never seen any, but then, our plates are so wide in variety, it would be a nightmare to get working well. Then you have some states, like mine, where no front plate is required, making such things even more complicated.

mmascari

But that's a construct of today.. not necessarily the future.
I just don't see them either forcing people to pay for parking at DS or connecting it to parks too easily do to financials.

I believe disney springs would struggle if they did force people to pay for parking. There are too many other options for high end malls and restaurants around the Orlando area and parking would make DS a lot less attractive.

You may both be right, just with different assumptions about what makes Disney Springs money.

Is it primarily supported by resort gusts, from onsite or nearby hotels, with a small portion of locals sing it. Or, is it primarily supported by locals, with some resort guests, as it competes with resort offerings. Parking fees and use impact people not visiting the parks much more than those staying on property.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've never seen any, but then, our plates are so wide in variety, it would be a nightmare to get working well. Then you have some states, like mine, where no front plate is required, making such things even more complicated.
They can work off rear plates too. Assuming the plate is legible, which I assume legally they have to be? Just a thought.

Heppenheimer

Europe's plates aren't exactly uniform either, though, and the systems work pretty well over there for a wide variety of countries. In fact, the fonts are actually far more uniform for the US and Canada than for the individual members of the EU.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They can work off rear plates too. Assuming the plate is legible, which I assume legally they have to be? Just a thought.

If you mean photo based tolling/fees. Yes, its here.. just not as common.

The issue isn't being able to figure out how to collect money or not... the issue is mainly around what system you want to enforce and who bears the burdens.

My point being is the 'paying for parking or not' can be solved if they need to. It should not be the tail that wags the dog when deciding a master plan for the property.

Parking could be based on where you actually went... not what lot you enter... for instance.

Goofyernmost

I get a kick out of some of those toll roads that work off camera observation. I have a short stretch of toll road that I use occasionally for about one exit. It has figured out my plate number every time regardless of the weather. The funny thing is that stretch of road that I use has a toll of 50 cents. They have to enhance the photo of my plate, identify who owns the vehicle, make copies of it sent to me with an invoice. Postage alone is about 50 cents. Also does anyone know what they do about rental cars that would tend to use those roads more then locals? Do they just write it off, or do they have a way of knowing who to bill.

WallyWorld

I get a kick out of some of those toll roads that work off camera observation. I have a short stretch of toll road that I use occasionally for about one exit. It has figured out my plate number every time regardless of the weather. The funny thing is that stretch of road that I use has a toll of 50 cents. They have to enhance the photo of my plate, identify who owns the vehicle, make copies of it sent to me with an invoice. Postage alone is about 50 cents. Also does anyone know what they do about rental cars that would tend to use those roads more then locals? Do they just write it off, or do they have a way of knowing who to bill.

Rental car companies charge for the "convenience" of driving through tolls....and then charge for the tolls.

RSoxNo1

The only thought I know of right now now is a separate line from the turn station to DAK. It’s a thought. Nothing more at this time. There’s a lot of internal voices both for and against the system.
At this point, given the complications that have taken place on the Epcot line, I would think that any mid-line station is going to be discouraged as part of future expansion.

WallyWorld

Rode the skyliner Sat 11/16...very impressed. Great experience. So much fun. Rode all 3 lines more than once. Out of CBR...the Epcot line is the most complex by far. Pop and Studios lines out an back seemed simple. EPCOT line....turn station (very nice....)...great views...
Riviera resort turn seems complicated....no ECV line....gondolas come in with occupants (or not)....I can't see how there are not differences from the "simpler" out and back lines.

Heppenheimer

The toll fee may be 50 cents, but the violation fine is likely considerably higher.

The photo of traffic or toll violations is timed stamped, so when the traffic authority sends the bill to the rental agency, the rental agency knows who drove the car at the time and they forward the invoice to the customer. I've received at least one bill in Europe that way.

Goofyernmost

Rental car companies charge for the "convenience" of driving through tolls....and then charge for the tolls.
That is for the in car thing like the Sunpass (or whatever it is called) it's a prepayment. From what I understood.
The toll fee may be 50 cents, but the violation fine is likely considerably higher.

The photo of traffic or toll violations is timed stamped, so when the traffic authority sends the bill to the rental agency, the rental agency knows who drove the car at the time and they forward the invoice to the customer. I've received at least one bill in Europe that way.
I agree that the fine for non-payment would be much higher, however, I'm never that pressed for cash that I can't cough up 50 cents. Yes, it is time stamped but, these things show up about 3 weeks after the fact and I would think that a rental company would be hard pressed to collect and even then the time and effort (cost of collection) might not be worth going after it unless it's a whole lot of tolls.

I am still impressed with that technology. Here in NC with more then it's share of off roaders and those that feel that vehicles must be self cleaning must get away with it. I've seen plates just 5 feet in front of me, that are either so dirty or faded that I can't make out the numbers even that close. The pictures of the vehicle that they send with the bill is not really all that clear, just leaves me puzzled.

ImperfectPixie

They have automated tolls in MA...unless you have an account that you pay with the little sensor thingy, they just send you a bill. We almost never use the toll roads, so we don't have a sensor thing, but once in a year or so, late at night, we've been known to say the heck with it and just take a toll road instead of going around knowing we'll get a bill. (It's early...I forget what they call the pass, lol.) If I remember correctly, the toll is $2 but by the time you add fees, you end up paying around $3.50 doing what we do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom