News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

I totally agree. I paid the extra money to stay at Pop Century over the All-Stars just to be able to use this, and based on all of these random line closures and long stoppages, along with the reduced operating hours (it's useless for EMH), it may not be worth paying the extra money for in the future.
I would bet that it stops a lot less than the gloomers are trying to make you believe. Don't worry about it. The worst thing that will happen is that you will have a great story to talk about when you get home. People pay a lot more for a Monorail hotel and those things don't even run a consistant schedule any day of the week and are just as prone to breakdown. I know what we hear makes it seem like it is a constant thing, yet I have been going there and riding the Monorail since 1983 (46 trips over the years) and have never once had a stop that was over 45 seconds.

Phil12

I totally agree. I paid the extra money to stay at Pop Century over the All-Stars just to be able to use this, and based on all of these random line closures and long stoppages, along with the reduced operating hours (it's useless for EMH), it may not be worth paying the extra money for in the future.
I wasn't aware that the Pop is now charging more than the All-Stars. It's clear that the Skyliner is the reason why Disney thinks it's appropriate to charge more for these inferior accommodations since in all other respects the Pop rooms are indisputably the worst on property. $38.00 a night is a steep price to pay just to ride the Skyliner. If they offered free fried chicken dinners (with all the fixin's) for your entire group along with the ride, then it might be worth it.

Victor Kelly

I would disagree about POPs rooms as I have stayed there multiple times. My one major complaint was that the last time the hot water was tepid not hot no matter the time of day.

And yes they have raised prices for POP since the cable coffins🤪 started running. And stopping. And running and stopping.

I get the feeling that the planning was good, just not as complete as it should have been.

Phil12

Some would dispute that Pop is inferior to ASR.
Yes indeed some people enjoy having 288 rooms crammed together in each building. There is no resort on property that resembles a ghetto more so than Pop Century. And of course some people like it so much they're willing to pay $38.00 extra per night for the privilege of having a Murphy bed and being reminded that just a few short years ago POP Century had among the least expensive rooms on property. The bright side is that they got the Skyliner. And good thing too because the bus service was, and still is, terrible.

joelkfla

Yes indeed some people enjoy having 288 rooms crammed together in each building. There is no resort on property that resembles a ghetto more so than Pop Century. And of course some people like it so much they're willing to pay $38.00 extra per night for the privilege of having a Murphy bed and being reminded that just a few short years ago POP Century had among the least expensive rooms on property. The bright side is that they got the Skyliner. And good thing too because the bus service was, and still is, terrible.
Your opinions. Point is, it's not indisputable.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

There is nothing ghetto-like about pop. The Murphy bed is ingenious. And the bus service was one of the best since you didn't have to ride an internal circuit to get to it and it isn't shared by other resorts (direct service to the parks).

Minthorne

There is no resort on property that resembles a ghetto more so than Pop Century.

"a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure "

So which minority group are you seeing forced to stay at Pop?

wedenterprises

Yeah there's no way I'm going to ride this thing. Not for a long time. Same goes for the monorail. The trams are loud and obnoxious too, especially with a stroller.

Cars, boats, and walking it is then!

Bocabear

I rode on iut the other night... In the evening there was wind whistling through the cabin...and since I was lucky enough to ride alone, it was blissfully quiet... I thoroughly enjoyed the ride... Not sure what the day temps will be like, but the night ride was wonderful.
Also, I did one leg with one of the cars that had character decals... You cannot really see through them...It was like riding with cataracts.... Everything outside was completely blurry... If you can, wait for a car without decals... it is much better.
And the speed is actually astonishing! Made me wish they had a line that would take you to the front of EPCOT as well as the International Gateway...

trainplane3

Is it just me or during those hot Summer months aren't the Gondola thingys going to be really hot? I mean I know some of it is opened but still most is enclosed.
General consensus is:
As long as they keep moving, it will be much more comfortable then standing outside on a 90F day. If they stop moving for anymore then 5 minutes, you'll feel the temperature start to creep up.

My personal experience is the same. Stopped for nearly 10 minutes on the Epcot line on a 90F+ day. It did start to get warm but we at least had a breeze. When moving it's great.

In the Parks
No
General consensus is:
As long as they keep moving, it will be much more comfortable then standing outside on a 90F day. If they stop moving for anymore then 5 minutes, you'll feel the temperature start to creep up.

My personal experience is the same. Stopped for nearly 10 minutes on the Epcot line on a 90F+ day. It did start to get warm but we at least had a breeze. When moving it's great.
So it sounds like keep it rollin' rollin' rollin' and it will be fine.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
General consensus is:

I think it would be important to get thermometer readings rather than rely on 'feel.'

Could the temperature spike ten degrees in the noon sun? Sure, it's possible. But when it stops and there's no breeze, is that what happens, or what it 'feels' like it happens?

Human beings are a poor judge of absolute temperatures. Just look WDW when it's 65 degrees. The Floridians are wearing jackets and the Northerners are in shorts and Ts.

Same when a breeze stops. The breeze was evaporating sweat. When the breeze stops, evaporation rate slows down and it 'feels' warmer. That happens sitting outdoors in shade or sun. But, it's the same temperature with or without the breeze.

So, when the breeze within the gondola stops, and it 'feels' warmer, is that because the breeze has stopped or because the temperature spiked?

imarc

I think it would be important to get thermometer readings rather than rely on 'feel.'

Could the temperature spike ten degrees in the noon sun? Sure, it's possible. But when it stops and there's no breeze, is that what happens, or what it 'feels' like it happens?

Human beings are a poor judge of absolute temperatures. Just look WDW when it's 65 degrees. The Floridians are wearing jackets and the Northerners are in shorts and Ts.

Same when a breeze stops. The breeze was evaporating sweat. When the breeze stops, evaporation rate slows down and it 'feels' warmer. That happens sitting outdoors in shade or sun. But, it's the same temperature with or without the breeze.

So, when the breeze within the gondola stops, and it 'feels' warmer, is that because the breeze has stopped or because the temperature spiked?

Maybe they could add some fans? Those have a much lower power draw than A/C.

Or, maybe just put some of those small handheld fans in the emergency kit?

Phil12

There is nothing ghetto-like about pop. The Murphy bed is ingenious. And the bus service was one of the best since you didn't have to ride an internal circuit to get to it and it isn't shared by other resorts (direct service to the parks).
Typical Disney defender. The waits at the bus stops were the longest on property simply because one bus stop served 2880 rooms. At the any of the All-Star resorts you have the same size bus stop but it only serves 1920 rooms. The Pop Century Resort has 50% more rooms than any of the single All-Stars Resorts but they both have the same bus stop arrangement. And I suppose I need to remind you that the All-Stars also have direct service to the resorts during the morning rush when it is needed. The entire concept of Pop Century was low cost with the idea to cram as many people as possible in the smallest space, and they succeeded. It's a 4 story low budget ghetto.

One of the reasons for the Skyliner was to alleviate the long lines and long waits at the Pop Century bus stops. And it has worked! For a paltry extra $38.00 per night the bus service now works with the advent of the Skyliner.

And the Murphy bed is very ingenious. It's a great way to cram more people into a smaller space.

Phil12

"a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure "

So which minority group are you seeing forced to stay at Pop?
Low budget guests. It fits your "economic pressure" part of the definition.

Phil12

Your opinions. Point is, it's not indisputable.
It's certainly not indisputable to a pixie duster.
1573697569111.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom