News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

BromBones

OK, but a single sampling doesn't mean the scenario is a safe or ideal one. I mean, did you not see that THREE people were sent to the hospital because of this ordeal? If it happened in the middle of August there is the potential that even more people could have been sent to the hospital.

They won't care about it and will play it off like everything is perfect because IT'S DISNEY!!

Then when something like that happens in the peak heat and humidity of the summer and people are stranded for 3 to 4 hours or more in those hot boxes they will have major heat casualties on their hands and God forbid an infant is stuck in that heat. The child may not survive.

And even then...they will say..no big deal. Hell, They are already making alligator jokes on here and a boy lost his life to one not that long ago. Disney is perfect in their eyes.

Phil12

Ruhroh. Stopped. Told people they weren’t loading.
View attachment 422062

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

That's common for this place. I remember voicing my concerns over a year ago about the Gondola system (I believe on this very thread), concerns that were reasonable (like no A/C in a sub-tropical climate or being 50 feet in the air in the lightning capital of the world) and I was met with such disdain and smug attitudes. IIRC, a mod actually got on me as well. Looking back at my posting history, I don't see any of those posts so I'm guessing a mod actually deleted all of them.
It's a Disney forum! There is only so much we can talk about on a daily basis. If I'm going to be censored to such a degree then what's the point of hosting the forum!?
The no A/C turned out to be the non issue everyone said it would be (I rode it when it was 94 outside and it was quite comfy - almost windy inside). Unless something happens they'll be closed when a lightning storm hit (its not like Disney hasn't had practice - even with a gondola system that was way more manual than this one).

Nigelbfc

I’ve stayed off this thread because people like myself, who are critical of the Skyliner system, have been routinely shunned by others on this forum. Perhaps such an egregious mishap should be an example for others to be more open-minded about those of us who don’t see everything with rose-colored goggles. According to some, gondolas are such a "well-seasoned" mode of transportation that it isn’t possible for people to be stranded for more than a few minutes. Either the framework isn’t that robust or Disney, a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, let us down. Either way, I'd recommend some on here be more receptive to the skeptics among us who aren't that on-board with a mode of transportation that isn't heavily used in the USA.

Have you rode it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think a certain someone hinted there may be a future expansion in their minds now. That was just after opening....wondering if that is still in play...I imagine, yes...

An expansion of the current system is almost impossible with the way it was built without taking one or more lines down for months for reconfiguration of the stations.

The only exception is plopping down a new station next to DHS and moving out from there.

Or, a complete system located elsewhere that is not connected to the current system.

VaderTron

An expansion of the current system is almost impossible with the way it was built without taking one or more lines down for months for reconfiguration of the stations.

The only exception is plopping down a new station next to DHS and moving out from there.

Or, a complete system located elsewhere that is not connected to the current system.
I am fairly certain (not from inside knowledge, but knowing the "cheap as we can" mentality of Dis Corp) that they have discussed replacing the existing monorail system around MK and to Epcot with a gondola system. If they were going to stick with the monorail I believe we would have heard about new trains by now. I could be wrong. I also see them tying in lines to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs.

Goofyernmost

All I think they would need would be a line from MK to DAK and it's resorts from the TTC. That would link all the parks to TTC, just not all the resorts. Not sure linking all the resorts would even be necessary.

HansGruber

The no A/C turned out to be the non issue everyone said it would be (I rode it when it was 94 outside and it was quite comfy - almost windy inside). Unless something happens they'll be closed when a lightning storm hit (its not like Disney hasn't had practice - even with a gondola system that was way more manual than this one).

But this is purely your opinion and anecdotal at best. I'm not saying you are wrong to have your own opinion but that doesn't mean your line of thinking applies to everyone else. Passing opinion off as fact doesn't progress the discussion.
It's in Disney's best interest to keep visitors comfortable and happy. Not having A/C goes against this line of thinking. Yes, some visitors don't mind the hot weather but if this was a "non issue" then Disney would get rid of all A/C throughout their entire complex. Obviously, they try to put A/C wherever they can because it makes guests comfortable.

I'm not even going to get into the lightning issue. To build a massive, permanent transportation structure that will have to "pause" for lightning storms, in the lightning capital of the world, is just lunacy.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Do we know for sure that they do not run the Skyliner when there is lighning in the area? If so, becides guest perception of safety, is there any reason that they don't run in lightning? From what I know about electric conductivity, wouldn't it be safer to be in a gondola cabin during a storm than outside because you are not grounded?

Ripken10

But this is purely your opinion and anecdotal at best. I'm not saying you are wrong to have your own opinion but that doesn't mean your line of thinking applies to everyone else. Passing opinion off as fact doesn't progress the discussion.
It's in Disney's best interest to keep visitors comfortable and happy. Not having A/C goes against this line of thinking. Yes, some visitors don't mind the hot weather but if this was a "non issue" then Disney would get rid of all A/C throughout their entire complex. Obviously, they try to put A/C wherever they can because it makes guests comfortable.

I'm not even going to get into the lightning issue. To build a massive, permanent transportation structure that will have to "pause" for lightning storms, in the lightning capital of the world, is just lunacy.
Florida is NOT the lightning capital of the world, and that's only the first thing you have wrong in your statement. Rich said it pretty well. It is not just his opinion.

Rich Brownn

Again, I'm guessing you've not been on it. Its quite comfy in to weather. And yes, the gondolas, along with boats and monorails shut down in storms (along with all the outdoor attractions). So not sure what your point was there either.

I've yet to hear anyone who has rode it complain its soooo hot in there. Then again, I guess its your opinion that its hot, even though you've not been on it. Thats what's called an uninformed opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom