News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JaxFLBear

yes but the article makes no mention of wind speeds in the area. It says it fell 60 ft. Not that winds were 60 miles per hour.

Edit: never mind. I did find other articles that were saying Gusty winds were in the area. They don't really say wind speed but they do refer to Gusty. However they do mention that 50 other people were riding the system so it seems to be that they weren't high enough to Warrant shutting down the system. So while I understand we've discussed hurricanes and thunderstorms, but what about just normal breezes that are slightly gustie? Knocking off it from its cable? Seems new to me :) we missed one! Yes this is all tongue-in-cheek.
According to an article @LiftBlog posted on his website, they were in the process of clearing the line when that empty cabin fell.
Update 10/21: The operator issued a statement blaming the accident on high wind. The affected cabin collided with the tower before falling. The installation was already in the process of being cleared of riders when the incident occurred, a process which takes 20 minutes. The gondola remains temporarily closed.

Disone

According to an article @LiftBlog posted on his website, they were in the process of clearing the line when that empty cabin fell.

Thank you good sir! Much appreciated

roj2323

I finally got to ride this darn thing today. It was 90 something degrees out and the cabin was perfectly comfortable and had a nice breeze. The windows on the foward side of the cabin have a 6" piece of lexan attached which directs the incoming airflow down. Two of those combined with vents under the seats and the air was exchanged probably every 30 seconds. It was a very smooth ride with great views and I highly recommend.

All cabin guests enjoyed joking about the break down earlier in the month but none were worried about it.

Do wonder why Disney choose to build the DHS line so high up. With the practically parking lot sized pathway they cut through the forest it would have made more sense to use shorter towers at least in my opinion.

BromBones

45 minutes ago the Skyliner dropped passengers off at the Riviera because there was lightning.
And there are no busses at the Riviera so the passengers are waiting there.

I don't remember the Monorail or busses being shut down because of lightning.

This is not been a good opening at all for the Skyliner. I don't know why Disney made this.

Clamman73

Went on my first ride this afternoon...it’s so quiet being up there...noticed when you go into and out of the Riviera it seems faster than the other stations...had a couple slow downs/stops on the journey from Studios to Epcot...the wrapped ones are annoying trying to take pics/video out of.
It was pretty warm today, but not bad in the cab...I could see at times during a stop or in the station it getting a little warm though on those 90+ days

Minthorne

45 minutes ago the Skyliner dropped passengers off at the Riviera because there was lightning.

This is not been a good opening at all for the Skyliner. I don't know why Disney made this.

Shocking (that there isn’t a DVC sales booth there!)

Rteetz

That station is close enough to CBR and they can take the internal bus there. Obviously once Riviera opens that resort will have buses. You aren’t going to send buses to a construction zone as that isn’t safe.

Monorail does stop for lighting I believe.

Rich Brownn

We used to shut the monorail down during thunderstorms when I worked there in the 70s. In fact the fun was parking two trains nose-to-nose in the TTC

joelkfla

That station is close enough to CBR and they can take the internal bus there. Obviously once Riviera opens that resort will have buses. You aren’t going to send buses to a construction zone as that isn’t safe.

Monorail does stop for lighting I believe.
The internal shuttle wouldn't do them any good, unless their destination was CBR. They could get a bus to DHS or Epcot at the nearest CBR stop, although that would be a very roundabout way to get to Pop or AoA.

But the average Guest who never stayed at CBR would know nothing about bus service there, nor where the nearest stop was, unless cm's at the Skyliner station gave them instructions. There is no signage directing Guests to the nearest stop (Aruba). I think Disney also should have provided a rescue bus from Aruba to Pop & AoA.

trainplane3

The internal shuttle wouldn't do them any good, unless their destination was CBR. They could get a bus to DHS or Epcot at the nearest CBR stop, although that would be a very roundabout way to get to Pop or AoA.

But the average Guest who never stayed at CBR would know nothing about bus service there, nor where the nearest stop was, unless cm's at the Skyliner station gave them instructions. There is no signage directing Guests to the nearest stop (Aruba). I think Disney also should have provided a rescue bus from Aruba to Pop & AoA.
This brings up a good non Skyliner question. I left Epcot late, after the monorail shutdown for the night. I was staying at BLT. I was directed to a random bus stop which we found out was for the TTC when the bus pulled up. As we got near the TTC, I noticed the MK line was down for the night too. I had to ask the bus driver how to get to the Contemporary to which he just radioed in to request a route change.

Luckily he did that or I'd be stuck paying for a taxi to go a mile down the road since there's no walking paths. What were my other options?

The Skyliner pushing people out at Riviera feels the same. You can get "stranded" with the monorail too.

BromBones

We used to shut the monorail down during thunderstorms when I worked there in the 70s. In fact the fun was parking two trains nose-to-nose in the TTC

Do they still shut it down during thunderstorms?
I was there during a thunderstorm back in 2010 and the monorail was still running.
Or do they only shut it down when certain atmospheric conditions are met?
I know the busses still run.

pdude81

Being stranded in a bad lightning storm is just a regular failure of Disney planning and not unique to the skyliner. On my last trip they kicked everybody out of the monorail at Polynesian and told them they could go take buses from the front of the resort to MK for transfer elsewhere. So when no more people fit under the awning, there were plenty of geniuses standing nearby with their umbrellas out.

Nobody knew how or when they would get anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom