News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disone

Skyliner line at 9:25

ETA: with one period of brief loading slowness we got on in 20 minutes.

View attachment 415524
I would like to Second this. When I got in line I was just about where the guy in yellow is on the lower right-hand corner of your picture. The line continue to grow, clearly, but from him and makes a left hand turn and goes on and up the small railed berm you see in this picture. The ride stopped once while I was in line, for a minute or two, but my total in line wait time was 13 minutes. Additionally, they were not packing the gondolas in with 8 to 10 people. Mine was loaded with a whopping five. Seem to be about 5 6 or 7 per gondola. On average. 12 minutes later I was at the Caribbean Beach. A couple of slow downs but no stops. I think for the most part the system worked as intended tonight post fireworks for the first time since it's open to the public.

FoodRockz

I was there by chance for opening day and experienced one stop on the CBR to MGM line for a few minutes, but otherwise smooth gondola-ing. Much better than I expected, and liked the station theming.
IMG_20190929_143146752_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190929_143639499.jpg
IMG_20190929_145351475_HDR.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

I passed the Pop/AoA station this afternoon while it was down (with an Expedition Everest yeti on my shirt). The CM said “it’s broken — just like the yeti on your shirt!”

I took that to mean it would be 15-20 years before it was running again. Who knows.

Aren't we being optimistic with the timeline! Seriously, when an animatronic has been broken so long that it's the butt of CM jokes, it's probably time to fix it already.

Disone

Crowds were relatively light last night. I'm going to be interested in seeing what happens over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Did you have any trouble exiting through IG?
Crowds were above average last night. A lot of extra people for the first viewing of Epcot forever. It wasn't New Year's Eve packed, but it was busy.

bunnyman

I ride ski lifts and gondolas all the time, and rarely does a day go by that you don't get stuck at some point. Sometimes briefly, sometimes it has stretched on for a while. My nephew on one time was on a lift that broke down, and he had to be winched down from the chair to the ground. A lot of moving parts, and sometimes things happen.

Incomudro

I'm wondering if WDW is alerting passengers that the Skyliner is occasionally stopping for a period of a couple of minutes?
As in "This ride experiences periodic stops which are a normal part of operation."
I'd imagine there are some riders who would be quite concerned, or even a bit panicked (depending on the type of person) during a stoppage that lasts a couple of minutes - if they didn't otherwise know that extended pauses are normal.
At least normal for now, hopefully they will be worked out.

TimeTrip

Crowds were relatively light last night. I'm going to be interested in seeing what happens over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Did you have any trouble exiting through IG?
Nope. Crowds were moving well. But folks were leaving through the right hand exit by the store AND the turnstiles. Even though there was EMH that night.

ABQ

Reading through here, the IG line has stops frequently, it appears. Can anyone shed light on just why? Just curious. I can't assume it's all ECV/WC loading at the Riviera station, when the resort itself isn't open yet. Though, when that does open, I imagine, it'll be interesting.

TimeTrip

Reading through here, the IG line has stops frequently, it appears. Can anyone shed light on just why? Just curious. I can't assume it's all ECV/WC loading at the Riviera station, when the resort itself isn't open yet. Though, when that does open, I imagine, it'll be interesting.
It ran really well for the ~30 minutes I was watching/riding from 9:25 to 9:55'ish at peak epcot exit time. It slowed down 2x for about 5 seconds each, and 1 hard stop for about 15 seconds. My guess is that it's just break-in issues, and everyone being new and figuring out how to handle large volume. Kudos on them for having two separate loading lanes for regular users in the loading area. The speed of loading would leave large gaps if it was all just one lane.

natatomic

Anyone know why they seem to only be loading 5-6 people per cabin instead of the maximum of 10? When I was at the preview, there was a family of 7 that got split up and they didn’t even have a stroller or wheelchair.

TimeTrip

On the ride from CBR to IG yesterday around 7pm, then put 9 of us into one cabin. Parties of 4,2,3. The line was getting backed up, which why I suppose they did this. Riding back from IG at Epcot close there were about 7 of us in the cabin. One person got off at Riviera, and they put 2 more in.
On the ride from CBR to DHS after that, there was barely a line, so we were only 4 in a cabin (even though most of us from the previous journey were making the same transfer).

mikenatcity1

My party rode it on Sunday. They were putting multiple parties into each gondola when there were long lines. The lines moved very quickly. On the track to EPCOT, we stopped twice- once while our gondola was in the Riviera station with the doors open (around 15 minutes) and other when we were in mid-air (for 5-7 minutes). With the doors open, it remained cool. However, once we were stuck in mid-air, it got a little warm.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I can see this becoming a more used method of transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom