News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

cosmicgirl

If I had been looking from the outside I woud've said the stops could be because of ECVs at Riviera. But we were stopped at Riviera and there was nothing going on there. Just a CM telling everyone to stay seated and 3 people waiting to board.

Lift Blog

Hi! Two questions.... I remember reading where you say every 15th Gondola is one they can pull off the line. But from watching the process it looks like they can pull anyone offline and it just immediately replace it with one of the two they have in the fully stop load area. I know I have seen gondolas parked there for way more than 90 seconds. What are your thoughts on that?

I do get what you're saying about the point person. But I am wondering what's causing the Epcot line to stop so often. At both the Caribbean and Epcot stations there was nothing obviously wrong about the loading. The system was slowing down the process by stopping which is different than the system being slowed down by the point person who's not loading fast enough. He would think it was the point person they could just simply let one or two go empty and not worry about putting people in them and just keep the system moving at speed.

I'm sure the ratio is adjustable but I counted multiple times today and it was always every 15th cabin. At one point during testing I recall it was more like every 10th or 12th. The ratio has to stay constant during the operating day because ECV cabins also need to be pulled off at the other end. After seeing what I saw today, I would not be surprised if they lowered the ratio so more cabins go to the back but for less time. The counters on the operators' podiums were starting at 95 today but it seemed like they were a bit longer than actual seconds. At about the 10 mark, there is a triple chime and both rear track cast members hold a button to advance the cabins when the counter hits 0. That's what I could tell from observing most of the day.

It's impossible to say why the Epcot line stopped today without seeing the list of faults on a screen. But it's probably a combination of operator-initiated stops and non-operator initiated stops. I saw zero ECVs load or unload at Riviera.

Last edited:

Lift Blog

Per a manager friend, they are very happy with how things are going for THS and TPD, but TIG is having some capacity growing pains. Alsmittedly, this is only day one, but it should be interesting to see how this goes over time (and how it affects future plans).

Four large stations is a lot for one line. Multiply every possible stop times four (or five because Riviera has double everything.) A LOT of chances for things to come up that affect the whole line.

Creathir

The joy ride crowds, if they don’t die down, could easily be curtailed by scanning magic bands for resorts on the system.

While it would initially be unpopular, if the lines get out of control at the IG or DHS, it would solve that problem pretty quickly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The joy ride crowds, if they don’t die down, could easily be curtailed by scanning magic bands for resorts on the system.

While it would initially be unpopular, if the lines get out of control at the IG or DHS, it would solve that problem pretty quickly.
If they haven’t done it with the bus stop at Disney Springs I don’t think they will ever do it...and that would cut down on people looking to beat the parking fee (a direct loss of profits for the company).

Creathir

If they haven’t done it with the bus stop at Disney Springs I don’t think they will ever do it...and that would cut down on people looking to beat the parking fee (a direct loss of profits for the company).
Very true, but the bus stops being overloaded out at DS is less of a problem than the smaller area of the IG.

I don’t think it would be a revenue decision, just pure logistics if it came down to it.

matt9112

Rode from epcot to mgm today. Almost no line at the gateway but the line had a stoppage. Once on board the breeze was very enjoyable but the line did stop once more while we were on board. Once we go to CBR there was a maze of lines and cms were drawing more temporary tape lines on the floor. It was not awful as the lines were moving at a good clip but if the gondalas stop moving for just a moment it backs up real fast. On the ride to the studios there was a massive difference in airflow. ( im going to guess due to direction of travel vs wind direction) there was no breeze during this portion of our flight. It heats up quick.

All in all as long as the system is running at capacity its great but if it stops for sny amount of time it turns into a cluster not to mention a hot box in the cabin.

KC00

I exited Epcot through the IG at 9:35 and the line was long but in near constant motion. It backed up out of the main entrance to the queue, down along the roadway that runs along side the station and then looped around again. Sorry, for the lousy description but hopefully you get the idea. I didn’t notice any stops during the entire time I was exiting and walking over to the Boardwalk so that is good news.

I will say while I was expecting to hate the dangling over active roadways part of the skyliner the most, that part was not all that bad. The thing I dislike the most is what the IG entrance has become because of all the extra activity. I hadn’t really given it much thought even though things were in constant flux over there when I stayed at YC back in May but it is a really remarkable change to the area that takes away a ton of its charm. It bummed me out quite a bit even though I realize it was probably necessary. Maybe it will be better once the expansion in France is done and they wrap up the rest of the construction and reconfiguring over there. Time will tell.

joelkfla

Everything about wheelchair cabin management:
  • Wheelchair cabins are assigned at the beginning of day, and are identified by setting a plunger near the top of the hanger.
  • The plunger causes the door opening rail to collapse, so the doors stay closed thru the main unload platform.
  • The plunger also activates the track switch into the wheelchair unload area. As a flagged cabin approaches the switch, a chain drive activates and pulls the cabin across the switch.
  • Doors open as the cabin enters the wheelchair unload position.
  • Wheelchair cabins are unloaded and loaded simultaneously.
  • The chair is backed out.
  • The control podiums at both unload and load have a countdown timer. Operators at both positions must be holding in a button on the panel when the counter reaches zero for the cabins to advance. If either is not holding in the button when the timer is approaching zero, a reminder chime sounds. (The chime can be heard in the door opener video above.)
  • The cabin advances from unload to load position, while the cabin in load position moves around to prepare for re-entering the mainstream.
  • Doors remain open between unload and load.
  • The load operator briefly inspects the cabin, and then loads the wheelchair in a forward direction, instructing the rest of the party to wait.
  • Seats will never be folded during operation.
  • The wheelchair is instructed to move forward as far as possible. ECV’s are instructed to pull up against a guide rail along the floor.
  • Rubber chocks are placed behind the rear wheels.
  • Then the rest of the party is invited to enter.
  • Both operators release the cabins as described above.
  • Doors close immediately upon leaving the load position.
  • After advancing around the curve, the cabin pauses for a few seconds before re-entering the mainstream.
  • Empty wheelchair cabins will not be available to load at the regular load platform. Doors will remain closed, and the cabins remain empty.

I was told that the Epcot line will be stopped for wheelchair loading at Riviera. In fact, I was going to get off at Riviera on my ecv to look around, but they requested that I not.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I exited Epcot through the IG at 9:35 and the line was long but in near constant motion. It backed up out of the main entrance to the queue, down along the roadway that runs along side the station and then looped around again. Sorry, for the lousy description but hopefully you get the idea. I didn’t notice any stops during the entire time I was exiting and walking over to the Boardwalk so that is good news.

I will say while I was expecting to hate the dangling over active roadways part of the skyliner the most, that part was not all that bad. The thing I dislike the most is what the IG entrance has become because of all the extra activity. I hadn’t really given it much thought even though things were in constant flux over there when I stayed at YC back in May but it is a really remarkable change to the area that takes away a ton of its charm. It bummed me out quite a bit even though I realize it was probably necessary. Maybe it will be better once the expansion in France is done and they wrap up the rest of the construction and reconfiguring over there. Time will tell.
I will say that this afternoon on YT, There was more people on IG than I've ever seen in my life! I'm used to dead IG's on Streams! There's NEVER people around if it's after opening and before ROE. I'm Guessing IG will go back to normal after the opening buzz is over? The Station is wonderful and shouldn't take away any charm since it's sitting on the tram loop that hasn't been used since 1991?

Rat will make France look better but IDK if it'll do anything for Skyliner.

DisneyDreamerxyz

I will say that this afternoon on YT, There was more people on IG than I've ever seen in my life! I'm used to dead IG's on Streams! There's NEVER people around if it's after opening and before ROE. I'm Guessing IG will go back to normal after the opening buzz is over? The Station is wonderful and shouldn't take away any charm since it's sitting on the tram loop that hasn't been used since 1991?

Rat will make France look better but IDK if it'll do anything for Skyliner.

why would the International Gateway have less people eventually? if anything, it will have more.
it's pretty obvious that by expanding the UK and France Pavilions and having the Skyliner Station there as well as completely re-doing the entire security/entryway into Epcot that they are focusing on this area and want more people at this part of the park.

jrhwdw

why would the International Gateway have less people eventually? if anything, it will have more.
it's pretty obvious that by expanding the UK and France Pavilions and having the Skyliner Station there as well as completely re-doing the entire security/entryway into Epcot that they are focusing on this area and want more people at this part of the park.
Are we thinking there'll be lines for WS and Skyliner in IG all day now? Won't go back to slower traffic during the non peak times during the day?

TP2000

Plus adding a new E Ticket Marvel thrill ride, a new water show, Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda, a new Spaceship Earth, cosmetic upgrades and a massive marketing push for all the new rides and shows, etc.

The IG station will only swell with more crowds in the next few years, not decrease in crowds.

KC00

The Riviera isn’t even open yet so once that happens it will just add to the crowds as well.

I think the station itself is quite lovely and fits in well but it’s kind of a madhouse over there between the active construction site in France which is the last thing you see as you approach the station on the skyliner and then there are a whole lot of temporary walls still up all around. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that once that work is done they’ll add some landscaping back in and it won’t feel so chaotic. Today when I arrived at the IG I didn’t notice the usual entry music which also made things feel off over there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again.. today is not normal operating

Again... the biggest crush is yet to come. There are way more people staying at those resorts in normal operating than the number of bloggers and looks lu folks. When the bus service is cut back and the full brunt of those resorts is put on the system... there will be way more people at park close at Epcot trying to load than there is now.

Curiosity seekers don’t all land at once... but the park close crowds will land in a condensed window

Disone

Per a manager friend, they are very happy with how things are going for THS and TPD, but TIG is having some capacity growing pains. Alsmittedly, this is only day one, but it should be interesting to see how this goes over time (and how it affects future plans).
Today might be day one for the public, but the TIG line was definitely experiencing issues during cast previews. Hopefully they can get the Kinks worked out of it. On day one it seem to be running just fine. So I'm hopeful they can find a way to get back to that. It is a complex line. A load and unload Zone at each terminal plus a handicap load and unload Zone at each terminal plus two unloads and two loads zones at the Riviera and on top of all that let's just throw in a turning station for good measure.

TrainsOfDisney

Rode back to studios tonight after illuminations. Several full stops while we were waiting in line but the wait was well worth it... saw 10:00 Star Wars Fireworks and 10:15 Halloween fireworks. Honestly it felt like I was in a Disney commercial seeing spaceship earth and all the fireworks going off all around me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom