News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

dhslxop

I was able to ride during previews, and I wanted to share my thoughts!
  • I was able to ride from Hollywood Studios to Caribbean Beach and then switched to the Epcot line and rode through Riviera to Epcot. The AoA/POP line wasn't open when I rode unfortunately.
  • Boarding is simple and easy. I rode by myself, so I'm not quite sure how the boarding process will work for groups, but for me, it seemed highly efficient.
  • It's a really smooth ride. Throughout, there are narrations that tell you a little bit about where you are. It does get quiet when there are no narrations, so I felt maybe some light music would have be nice, but it's also pretty peaceful.
  • Regarding air flow - You are constantly getting a nice breeze. The only time it ever felt a bit warm was when passing through the Riviera station, because you are moving slowly from unload to load. The doors open at Riviera's unload (if you are going to Epcot you can stay on), close between stations, and then re-open when you get to Riviera's load, before closing again before take off.
  • There is an emergency intercom in each cabin, so you can call back to the control booth, just in case you have an emergency.
  • I rode both types of cabins, but preferred the unwrapped cabins to the wrapped cabins because I found them to be easier to see out of.
Overall I really enjoyed the ride, and I was very much pleasantly surprised. I've never been a huge fan of this project, but I definitely wanted to try it out. The views are spectacular and the narrations are great. It's quick and easy. I never felt any form of danger and it was never too hot (I rode during the afternoon on a sunny day). I can definitely see using this if I was park hopping from DHS to Epcot (particularly if I wanted to go to International Gateway), because it definitely is faster than walking or the boats (and obviously the buses take you to the front of Epcot). I would have loved to ride during fireworks, because the view must incredible.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to answer what I can!

trainplane3

The CBR hub pretty huge. There are restrooms there as well.

Got a chuckle out of the photo op:

Surferboy567

Using the data from the live stream of the Skyliner I timed how long it took to make the journey between HWS and Epcot. Now, their is one thing on here that may mess up the numbers...but here is the breakdown.

Lap 1: Initial (Tilt) take off HWS to Caribbean Beach the lap ended in the arrival to the Caribbean beach station

Lap 2: Time in Caribbean beach station (this is the part I was referring to when I said this may mess up the numbers) basically the line was slowed down to make way for a handicapped person (that’s what the cast member said on the stream) so they won’t normally go this slow (they were barely moving) so I think you can easily shave a minute and a half to two minutes off this time.

Lap 3: Caribbean Beach Initial (Tilt) take off Carribean Beach to Riveria the lap ended in the arrival to Rivera

Lap 4: Rivera to International gateway this time is the entire time spent in the Rivera station (super quick) all the way though to arrival in international gateway.

*Keep in mind this doesn’t count any time waiting in line (should be minimal) as well as transfer times. Also this is from a YouTube video, so I won’t have exact tracking till I’m there on site but this is a great approxmiation of what to expect.

now to complete my analysis I need the time it takes for a bus to complete a route like this as well as how long it takes to walk, and around how long a friendship boat takes (probably around 20 minutes I’d guess on the friendship, not sure on the bus). Main takeaway this is going to be great for park hopping and a great alternative to the boats (I normally stay at the Swan & Dolphin) it usually takes forever for a boat to even arrive.

Last edited:

trainplane3

now to complete my analysis I need the time it takes for a bus to complete a route like this and around how long a friendship boat takes (probably around 20 minutes I’d guess on the friendship, not sure on the bus). Main takeaway this is going to be great for park hopping and a great alternative to the boats (I normally stay at the Swan & Dolphin) it usually takes forever for a boat to even arrive.
I think Friendships may be a bit slower. Going back to my Google Maps history, I'm seeing about 17 to 20 minutes to walk it and that beats the boats. 25 may be a better guess. Not to get too picky.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
*Keep in mind this doesn’t count any time waiting in line (should be minimal) as well as transfer times. Also this is from a YouTube video, so I won’t have exact tracking till I’m there on site but this is a great approxmiation of what to expect.
I think they said it took them about an hour and a half to hit all three terminal stations from DHS. There's no way you could do it that quickly using the bus system unless you had your own dedicated bus.

What bothers me about the transfer station is the question of lines. Lots of people will be funneling to the DHS line from Riviera and AoA... those people will have to mixmaster with the CBR patrons to get onto the DHS line. I haven't seen any schematics on how that flow will be managed.

cindy_k

Some other notes from the Live stream from above...
Handicap loading shown at Hollywood Studios: at about 33:50

Ride from DHS to CB starts at 36:00 and ends at 40:00

Sidewalk next to gondola is not moving.

The gondolas stop quite fast. The streamers reaction was amusing with it.

cindy_k

at 58:57 you can see a Gondola waiting for a Handicap rider at the CB station on the EPCOT Line behind the cast member who talks to them.

While in Rivera they went into Creep mode (according to cast member at station) 1:04 Cast members says its likely because of a handicap loading at the CB station (I guess to put in the waiting gondola). They show the gondola speed against the sidewalk.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The speed at which the cars approach each other while entering the stations is going to freak out some first time riders.

Kevin_W

I think Friendships may be a bit slower. Going back to my Google Maps history, I'm seeing about 17 to 20 minutes to walk it and that beats the boats. 25 may be a better guess. Not to get too picky.

Friendship boats also take a while to load, even if you happen to time the arrival correctly. With the skyliner, I can only imagine talking the boats from DHS if you were at Swolphin (which is a ways from the skyliner terminal) and really didn't want to walk it. And I can't imagine taking the boats from the Epcot IG ever.

I think walking will still beat the skyliner for time. But the skyliner looks fun and when you are walking 20,000+ steps in a day at WDW, getting to sit for 15+ minutes will be appreciated.

Surferboy567

Friendship boats also take a while to load, even if you happen to time the arrival correctly. With the skyliner, I can only imagine talking the boats from DHS if you were at Swolphin (which is a ways from the skyliner terminal) and really didn't want to walk it. And I can't imagine taking the boats from the Epcot IG ever.

I think walking will still beat the skyliner for time. But the skyliner looks fun and when you are walking 20,000+ steps in a day at WDW, getting to sit for 15+ minutes will be appreciated.

The novelty of the skyliner also is a huge factor.

joelkfla

I noticed the Boarding Pass confirmed that Riviera station will open on 9/29 for CBR Guests.

Also I think I saw restrooms in the Epcot station, too. Directly opposite the boarding platform, there are 2 doors with a water fountain between them, the usual Disney configuration for small restrooms. The image wasn't clear enough to read the small signs next to the doors.

Surferboy567

I would love to see this system connect to animal kingdom. That is always the hardest park to get to. Would also love a MK station (they probably will never do that one though since they have monorails)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom