News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm guessing the gondolas were delivered in batches and the last step is paint and/or wrap and finishing so the batches probably got made up by color due to the batching of the gondola orders form the manufacturer.

They were more random earlier in testing.

nace888

Whoever was putting the cars on the DHS line must have loved yellow. ;)

View attachment 409264
Can you imagine shuffling the gondolas in the storage yard just to pull out all of one color?
If that was my job, I'd do all the same color but then have one single cabin in a random color. Just to really make OCD people just that little bit uncomfortable.

I'm truly an evil person.
I can. I'm OCD like that. I'd want a rainbow pattern, and if a red had to be pulled, I would want to pull the other 6 in the sequence!
I feel like I would be inclined for color-coding as well, but the interesting fact is that all of these are not yellow! If you look closely, some of them are yellow, and some of them are the golden tangerine color ones! I must say they complement each other very nicely though.

DisneyCane

No, but those cities generally issue bonds when they they need to pay less than a billion dollars a mile. They're not paying for it out of their own coffers and hurting their stock price.

I'm not saying a monorail extension or some kind of other light rail system wouldn't be really cool, I just don't think it's economically feasible. And again, the time thing is a huge factor.

Extension of the Las Vegas monorail 1.25 miles to the raider's stadium is estimated to cost $24 million (around $19 million per mile).

starri42

Extension of the Las Vegas monorail 1.25 miles to the raider's stadium is estimated to cost $24 million (around $19 million per mile).
It's six miles from Pop Century to the TTC. Assuming there aren't overruns, that's $114 million by your metric, and that only serves two resorts and one and a half parks.

Creathir

It's six miles from Pop Century to the TTC. Assuming there aren't overruns, that's $114 million by your metric, and that only serves two resorts and one and a half parks.
Why would you run new lines all the way to the TTC?
More than likely they would extend the current or implement a fast switching mechanism.

Also, the Skyliner cost over $240 Million.

Public transportation is expensive.

starri42

Why would you run new lines all the way to the TTC?
How else are we going to get to the Magic Kingdom?

If we're planning to connect every resort and park to the monorail, we're going to need a hub. That means either building one from scratch or renovating the existing one. I assume the latter option is cheaper. Even if we design a system that only does switching, and saying that EPCOT and the Studios share a station (which doesn't make a lot of sense, because the EPCOT station is so far from International Gateway), if doing something like that cost less that $2 billion, I'd be shocked.

rowrbazzle

A certain site (you know the one) posted about the previews today by saying:

"While the Skyliner seemed just about ready to go by the end of August for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, it was strangely delayed for a full month"

They really can't admit when they're wrong, can they? It's also pretty false since the opening date was always officially September 29th :rolleyes: (They also linked to not 1, not 2, but 5 of their own articles in the opening paragraph, which was 2 sentences)

Some people here said the same thing about an August opening for part of the line. It's not a delay from the official opening, but it's certainly a delay from the widely rumored opening. Aside from the Epcot gate, there didn't seem to be a good reason why they couldn't have opened with Galaxy's Edge. But that's Disney these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom