News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

tissandtully

I doubt they'd ever eliminate the buses entirely; that would likely lead to a reduction in booking at the Skyliner resorts. I wouldn't stay at a resort if the Skyliner was the only Disney transportation option to get to certain parks because I'm afraid of heights (as are a lot of people) and the Skyliner looks like a nightmare to me. You'd probably have to pay me to get on it.
Yeah, seeing as the signs for the Skyliner say to take the bus if you have a fear of heights, they aren’t going away entirely.

tractor tipper

If I recall, the busses will be running in parallel, but reduced. The effect of the gondola will likely lead to further reductions and (hopefully) fazing them out in the future.

Give it a year to collect data and make a decision before anything else would realistically be decided.
Yeah, seeing as the signs for the Skyliner say to take the bus if you have a fear of heights, they aren’t going away entirely.
I imagine the buses will be on a 15-20 minute schedule probably shared between POP and AoA to pickup the folks who won't be using Sky. My sister in law will be one and we will probably have to wait on her at HS to arrive, don't know how it will be at EPCOT since we will be at different entrances.

note2001

I imagine the buses will be on a 15-20 minute schedule probably shared between POP and AoA to pickup the folks who won't be using Sky. My sister in law will be one and we will probably have to wait on her at HS to arrive, don't know how it will be at EPCOT since we will be at different entrances.

It'll be easier to get her to try them at night when the brain isn't as focused on how far off the ground or water you are. That's what I plan on doing my first trip.

tractor tipper

It'll be easier to get her to try them at night when the brain isn't as focused on how far off the ground or water you are. That's what I plan on doing my first trip.
Excellent idea. Earlier I made a comment that riding the gondolas would be like riding Peter Pan, at night it would make it very similar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I doubt they'd ever eliminate the buses entirely; that would likely lead to a reduction in booking at the Skyliner resorts. I wouldn't stay at a resort if the Skyliner was the only Disney transportation option to get to certain parks because I'm afraid of heights (as are a lot of people) and the Skyliner looks like a nightmare to me. You'd probably have to pay me to get on it.

It was reported early on that elimination of buses was being seriously considered. I think any reduction from people who are afraid of the Skyliner would be more then offset by people who would choose those resorts for the convenience of the Skyliner.

Monorail_Orange

I would think bus ridership numbers following the opening of the Skyliner will have a tremendous influence about the reduction or removal of bus service between EPCOT/Riviera/CBR/PopAoA/DHS. In other words, if demand for the busses remain high (seems unlikely, outside of those folks with acrophobia) then they will remain as they are. Otherwise, there would logically be some sort of reduction of the bus service, perhaps they run those routes only half as frequently.

pdude81

IMO reduction always made the most sense. Even if you just have one bus an hour and ramp up in the case of any skyliner downtime.

joelkfla

So kids, WHO here is going to be riding the new Disney Gondolas on Opening Day...??
Anyone ??

( raises hand )

I'll be on property during that time, so i am planning to try them out.
Should be fun !

:)
Since I live 30 minutes away and spend most of my retired life watching TV, I will be there not only on opening day, but upon the first report of soft opening, if any.

nickys

Premium Member
Post from page 112. I guess there will be a choice after all?

For now, perhaps. But I suspect it will be a reduced service and could all but disappear after the system is up and running smoothly.

But if they continue the bus service it just means prices at those resorts will have to go up even further to pay for the buses and the gondolas.

Incomudro

Yep. I said as much, was dismissed, lol and said "nope busses are going" .... but yet here they are sticking around for at least now.

Yes, I was pounced on for suggesting that some portion of people who would stay at a Skyliner served hotel would be uncomfortable riding them and that Disney would likely have buses for those that wouldn't ride them.
"They can stay somewhere else" I was told.
"Disney gives you transportation - you don't have to like the type."
"Why would people be any more fearful of gondola transportation than monorail?"

peter11435

Yes, I was pounced on for suggesting that some portion of people who would stay at a Skyliner served hotel would be uncomfortable riding them and that Disney would likely have buses for those that wouldn't ride them.
"They can stay somewhere else" I was told.
"Disney gives you transportation - you don't have to like the type."
"Why would people be any more fearful of gondola transportation than monorail?"
I don’t think anyone was thinking the buses would be discontinued on opening day of the skyliner. The fact that they will be available when the skyliner opens doesn’t change the fact that the skyliner was proposed designed and approved with the intent to remove bus service. Ultimately I still fully expect that to happen.

ImperfectPixie

I don’t think anyone was thinking the buses would be discontinued on opening day of the skyliner. The fact that they will be available when the skyliner opens doesn’t change the fact that the skyliner was proposed designed and approved with the intent to remove bus service. Ultimately I still fully expect that to happen.
They can't completely remove it - for those who are uncomfortable riding the skyliner. Those fears are real and overwhelming for some, and I don't see Disney disregarding that. Cut back? Sure...but not remove completely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom