News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Monorail_Orange

That's not a technical limitation, that is a choice by Disney. If Disney wanted to, it would be feasible to have buses running between every combination of end points, this would be almost impossible with a gondola of monorail.
I see what you're saying now...I was applying the systems more broadly, for example in most cities with a bus network. WDW is a bit more unique in that respect, as you have far more "hubs" available...i.e. each theme park. But still, at some point, the law of diminishing marginal returns applies...you would have to have so many buses on the roads to have a route to cover every single possible combination of departure/destination that it becomes impractical. (Again, I do agree it's not impossible.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I see what you're saying now...I was applying the systems more broadly, for example in most cities with a bus network. WDW is a bit more unique in that respect, as you have far more "hubs" available...i.e. each theme park. But still, at some point, the law of diminishing marginal returns applies...you would have to have so many buses on the roads to have a route to cover every single possible combination of departure/destination that it becomes impractical.

True, but busses can more efficiently accommodate multiple endpoints then other systems. How many bus routes come of MK, maybe a dozen or more? Imaging trying to do that with a gondola or monorail. Buses are also extremely flexible, routes can be added or removed at the spur of the moment. Every transportation system has it's plusses and minuses, the big plus for buses is flexibility.

Monorail_Orange

True, but busses can more efficiently accommodate multiple endpoints then other systems. How many bus routes come of MK, maybe a dozen or more? Imaging trying to do that with a gondola or monorail. Buses are also extremely flexible, routes can be added or removed at the spur of the moment. Every transportation system has it's plusses and minuses, the big plus for buses is flexibility.
I dispute nothing of what you say here. The only way a closed-loop system can accomplish something like this is with a relatively compact footprint...for example, within a a single airport campus interconnecting terminals, or as the monorail currently does around SSL. To try to interconnect every destination within the entire WDW resort on any single system becomes impractical, not only from a transit time perspective, but also economically, and saying nothing of routing challenges with various obstacles if the system is being retrofitted in. I'm in no way advocating for the complete abandonment of the bus system, nor am I contending that the Skyliner is the end-all-be-all. My only contention is that it is a good solution for interconnecting DHS, CBR, POP/AoA, Riviera, and Epcot IG.

Grimley1968

I dispute nothing of what you say here. The only way a closed-loop system can accomplish something like this is with a relatively compact footprint...for example, within a a single airport campus interconnecting terminals, or as the monorail currently does around SSL. To try to interconnect every destination within the entire WDW resort on any single system becomes impractical, not only from a transit time perspective, but also economically, and saying nothing of routing challenges with various obstacles if the system is being retrofitted in. I'm in no way advocating for the complete abandonment of the bus system, nor am I contending that the Skyliner is the end-all-be-all. My only contention is that it is a good solution for interconnecting DHS, CBR, POP/AoA, Riviera, and Epcot IG.

I totally agree with the bolded. IMO the Skyliner is the most efficient solution available among well established transportation solutions for this area. The route they chose would have been very difficult (or incredibly expensive) using anything but a rope system, but that route is well placed to serve a large number of guests to 2 parks and 4 large resorts, and probably more pleasantly than any current WDW transportation options. I also agree that the Skyliner need not necessarily be the way forward for all of WDW, given the relative further distances of other resorts to other parks, but for the location they put it, I think it's a home run.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

I agree. The gondolas work great there because you have about 30% of the hotels rooms on property connected to two park.

joelkfla

Just a note to give an idea on cost...

They are currently working on plans to expand the Vancouver Skytrain,

"TransLink says a proposed SkyTrain extension connecting Surrey and Langley along the Fraser Highway would cost an estimated $3.12 billion, nearly twice the estimated cost of connecting the two areas using light rail. That's also up from the SkyTrain project's estimated $2.9-billion cost in 2017"

This would be a 16 KM extension. Now our skytrain is a different beast to the monorail, as it would require 55 new train cars with the extension, and our system is fully automated, one of the largest fully automated in the world.
For those unfamiliar, SkyTrain is a driverless, fully automated, high frequency transit system. It has all the operating characteristics of mass transit: large elevated or underground stations with fare-controlled platforms, complete grade separation from automotive and pedestrian traffic, multi-car trains, etc; but it's usually considered light rail because of lightweight rolling stock.

Goofyernmost

Someone PLEASE start a new thread if there is gondola news.....
I understand your concern, but it is baseless. There is no new news about the Gondola's and there isn't likely to be until they actually start operating and then interest will drop like a rock. It's just a Gondola on a rope going from point A to point B it doesn't do any tricks or pass out prizes to the first person to get attacked by a rabid squirrel, which everyone forgot about. Those squirrels can chew through anything. Otherwise it is just a fun baseless discussion on a baseless thread.

Last edited:

Kman101

So ....

I see busses will continue.

I thought this was to get rid of busses from those resorts now with Gondola's? Folks swore up and down. I said wait and see ...

Bender123

So ....

I see busses will continue.

I thought this was to get rid of busses from those resorts now with Gondola's? Folks swore up and down. I said wait and see ...

If I recall, the busses will be running in parallel, but reduced. The effect of the gondola will likely lead to further reductions and (hopefully) fazing them out in the future.

Give it a year to collect data and make a decision before anything else would realistically be decided.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know I am going to get made fun of for this, but I am actually having some fun with it. One thing to consider, is some of the concerns are the same, because the existing system is going to have the same issues.

The attached simply puts a car in-between 2 cars from each line. This keeps the boarding cadence, while providing flexibility. Each station will have a line for separate destinations, as defined as car 1 and car 2. It's actually pretty simple.

Start a new thread for this armchair imagineering please.

UNCgolf

If I recall, the busses will be running in parallel, but reduced. The effect of the gondola will likely lead to further reductions and (hopefully) fazing them out in the future.

Give it a year to collect data and make a decision before anything else would realistically be decided.

I doubt they'd ever eliminate the buses entirely; that would likely lead to a reduction in booking at the Skyliner resorts. I wouldn't stay at a resort if the Skyliner was the only Disney transportation option to get to certain parks because I'm afraid of heights (as are a lot of people) and the Skyliner looks like a nightmare to me. You'd probably have to pay me to get on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom