News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyOutsider

Interesting tidbit about hours of operation from Blog Mickey....

"First, Cast Members will earn a starting hourly wage of $12/hour, moving up to $13/hour when the system opens on September 29th.

The second new piece of information, and perhaps the most interesting is the hours that Cast will be expected to work. Keep in mind that this position is considered a guest-facing position (read: not maintenance). According to the job listing, Cast Members will be asked to not only work first and second shifts, but also third shift where applicable. Disney goes on to list hours “as early as 5am” and “as late as 3am, 4am, or 5am”. Disney notes that the Walt Disney World Resort operates 24 hours a day, even if the parks aren’t open. Now, that’s not to say that the gondolas will operate 24 hours a day, because they likely won’t. That said, Disney looks to be anticipating long hours, if not for the Cast Members alone."

Seems that the gondolas will operate beyond park hours to serve resorts and possibly Boardwalk dining and entertainment.

Considering DHS will be opening at 6AM every day for at least a couple months, the opening time of 5AM makes sense.

Not sure about those end of shift times, though.

cosmicgirl

Very possible that the late night/early morning times might be for checking every gondola, and cleaning as needed for the next day.
Agreed, and with the EEMH they could do an overnight shift which covers that plus the initial opening (which I hope will be before 5am).

Did they remove the position btw? When I click the link Liftblog posted I get redirected to the home page, but that might be a geographical thing.

Heppenheimer

So I know a lot of discussion has been made about heat in these things, but what about cold? Forgive me if it's been posted.
I was in WDW last November with my wife and it got very cold in the evenings. I'm aware the gondolas have vents to allow cross breeze and I assume they can be closed. But closed would they still allow cold air to trickle in during those chilly nights or would they be fairly tight? My wife and I packed clothes for cooler nights, but were still caught a little off guard as to how cold it can get sometimes during those winter months and I would think not many people are packing winter coats for their WDW trip.

Anywho, just a thought. Can't wait to ride these in December! (Yes I shall pack warm!)
Even in the depth of winter, ski gondolas are usually a very comfortable temperature with only the body heat of the occupants to provide any warming. I've skied in temperatures below 10 F, and once inside the gondola, the collective trapped body heat of all the occupants usually provides enough warmth inside the gondola that I can usually take off my gloves and helmet and loosen my jacket to let my skin breathe a little.

One difference between a ski gondola and Disney, though, is that the occupants of a ski gondola have usually just finished a run down the mountain, and they are likely to be venting quite a bit more excess body heat than a Disney guest going to the parks.

But really, it doesn't get particularly cold in central Florida. If it's not too cold to visit the park, it won't be too cold in the gondolas, and should even be a little warmer.

joelkfla

Last edited:

trainplane3

WE HAVE A LADDER GUYS!!
ekfe2Wq.jpg

One of those fancy moving pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_20190724_115607.jpg
    IMG_20190724_115607.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting tidbit about hours of operation from Blog Mickey....

"First, Cast Members will earn a starting hourly wage of $12/hour, moving up to $13/hour when the system opens on September 29th.

The second new piece of information, and perhaps the most interesting is the hours that Cast will be expected to work. Keep in mind that this position is considered a guest-facing position (read: not maintenance). According to the job listing, Cast Members will be asked to not only work first and second shifts, but also third shift where applicable. Disney goes on to list hours “as early as 5am” and “as late as 3am, 4am, or 5am”. Disney notes that the Walt Disney World Resort operates 24 hours a day, even if the parks aren’t open. Now, that’s not to say that the gondolas will operate 24 hours a day, because they likely won’t. That said, Disney looks to be anticipating long hours, if not for the Cast Members alone."

Seems that the gondolas will operate beyond park hours to serve resorts and possibly Boardwalk dining and entertainment.

I think people are reading too much into it. It's a transportation role which means it runs longer hours than the parks.

If anything it might be a blurring of what kind of staff they will need on hand for things like cleaning or supporting maintanence rolls. Like, if Disney contracts DM for the real maint. people... maybe Disney is looking to use their transportation CMs to assist them with manpower for manning stations, etc during their work.

allgiggles

Not sharing the way I normally do (lots of forum compression) but WE HAVE A LADDER GUYS!!
View attachment 392701
One of those fancy moving pictures:

Maybe it's just me...or maybe it's the angle of the video....or maybe it's nothing, but to me it doesn't look like the cabins are making that big "swoop" (not sure what to call it) as they leave the station. In the early videos, it seemed like the cabins "dragged" as leaving the station and then swung forward as they moved on to the travel rope. I always noticed this because it's just one more thing for me to panic about (along with the height and closed in space) when riding them. I'm wondering if there are now some type of weights in the cabins to simulate passengers. Or maybe nothing's changed....

Grimley1968

Maybe it's just me...or maybe it's the angle of the video....or maybe it's nothing, but to me it doesn't look like the cabins are making that big "swoop" (not sure what to call it) as they leave the station. In the early videos, it seemed like the cabins "dragged" as leaving the station and then swung forward as they moved on to the travel rope. I always noticed this because it's just one more thing for me to panic about (along with the height and closed in space) when riding them. I'm wondering if there are now some type of weights in the cabins to simulate passengers. Or maybe nothing's changed....

I think it's still there, but it may be earlier than you might expect, right when you first see them in this video. By the time they leave the station they are fully upright again.

trainplane3

Not to add to your fears but the "swing" is the same. 99% sure they're empty. I couldn't see anything in them when I was passing by the station. I imagine with guests (or weights) they won't nearly swing as much. They are surprisingly big as they pass over you.

They add really nice movement to the area. I can look past the towers but that's because I'm weird and like watching mechanical things "work".

joelkfla

You were right, it's the angle. Watch closely in full screen and it's definitely there. It's just less noticeable because you're not viewing from the side.

allgiggles

I think it's still there, but it may be earlier than you might expect, right when you first see them in this video. By the time they leave the station they are fully upright again.
Not to add to your fears but the "swing" is the same. 99% sure they're empty. I couldn't see anything in them when I was passing by the station. I imagine with guests (or weights) they won't nearly swing as much. They are surprisingly big as they pass over you.

They add really nice movement to the area. I can look past the towers but that's because I'm weird and like watching mechanical things "work".
You were right, it's the angle. Watch closely in full screen and it's definitely there. It's just less noticeable because you're not viewing from the side.

Thanks everyone...I figured it was "just me". I'll keep it on my "irrational things to worry about" list for now. We'll see what happens when they're fully operational...maybe that one will come off the list. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom