News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

Operators to be paid $12 an hour starting: https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/lake-buena-vista/disney-skyliner-gondola-h-h-part-time-walt-disney-world/391/12628160
That's even worse than much of the ski industry.
That's standard WDW starting rate for Attractions, the lowest paid of non-tipped full-time regular cm's. 2 years ago it would have been only $10. It's only what it is now because of Disney's grudging agreement to raise all cast members to $15 by the end of 2021.

https://www.uniteherelocal362.org/wp-content/uploads/STCU-FT-Formatted-FINAL-3.13.pdf (Wage rates on p.55)

Kamikaze

I'm sure this has been discussed prior but how long do we imagine the wait times for these are going to be?

I would assume that the longest wait times would be at DHS and EPCOT Center, considering you have guests from multiple resorts there but realistically, given the continuous operation, how long do we anticipate the lines? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

Very short to non-existent. Even at peak, there shouldn't ever be a wait longer than a couple of minutes while they are operational.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure this has been discussed prior but how long do we imagine the wait times for these are going to be?

I would assume that the longest wait times would be at DHS and EPCOT Center, considering you have guests from multiple resorts there but realistically, given the continuous operation, how long do we anticipate the lines? 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

The gondolas can clear out 200 people in five minutes. I don't think you can even get that many people to show up at a station that quickly as lines snake out of the park, let alone it backing up.

PeoplemoverTTA

I've had plenty of awkward conversations with Lyft drivers. I can't imagine the Minnie vans are that different.

We had a grumpy 7-month old on a Minnie Van from MK to POP at park closing last August. I was in the backseat with my baby while my husband (who doesn't know the property as well) was up front. Our drive ended up being 45 minutes because the driver wouldn't shut up. And I am CHATTY. He literally told us about how he was molested as a child, fired from his last job, and more...it was INSANE.

And then I looked up and we were at the All Stars. He was talking so much, he literally forgot where we were staying (I was so focused on my daughter, I wasn't paying attention).

Again, I am my mother's daughter -- I used to be embarrassed by her chattiness on WDW trips (and the grocery store, etc), but now that I'm in my late 30s, I am absolutely her. This guy was just at a another level, though. And I paid $20 for the "privilege" 🤣.

FigmentFan82

So I know a lot of discussion has been made about heat in these things, but what about cold? Forgive me if it's been posted.
I was in WDW last November with my wife and it got very cold in the evenings. I'm aware the gondolas have vents to allow cross breeze and I assume they can be closed. But closed would they still allow cold air to trickle in during those chilly nights or would they be fairly tight? My wife and I packed clothes for cooler nights, but were still caught a little off guard as to how cold it can get sometimes during those winter months and I would think not many people are packing winter coats for their WDW trip.

Anywho, just a thought. Can't wait to ride these in December! (Yes I shall pack warm!)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So I know a lot of discussion has been made about heat in these things, but what about cold? Forgive me if it's been posted.
I was in WDW last November with my wife and it got very cold in the evenings. I'm aware the gondolas have vents to allow cross breeze and I assume they can be closed. But closed would they still allow cold air to trickle in during those chilly nights or would they be fairly tight? My wife and I packed clothes for cooler nights, but were still caught a little off guard as to how cold it can get sometimes during those winter months and I would think not many people are packing winter coats for their WDW trip.

Anywho, just a thought. Can't wait to ride these in December! (Yes I shall pack warm!)

It's really the same answer as the heat. If you can handle the cold walking around in the parks, a few extra minutes in the gondola isn't going to hurt you.

Incomudro

We had a grumpy 7-month old on a Minnie Van from MK to POP at park closing last August. I was in the backseat with my baby while my husband (who doesn't know the property as well) was up front. Our drive ended up being 45 minutes because the driver wouldn't shut up. And I am CHATTY. He literally told us about how he was molested as a child, fired from his last job, and more...it was INSANE.

And then I looked up and we were at the All Stars. He was talking so much, he literally forgot where we were staying (I was so focused on my daughter, I wasn't paying attention).

Again, I am my mother's daughter -- I used to be embarrassed by her chattiness on WDW trips (and the grocery store, etc), but now that I'm in my late 30s, I am absolutely her. This guy was just at a another level, though. And I paid $20 for the "privilege" 🤣.

That guys line of conversation wasn't appropriate for park branded transportation.
I'd expect that in a NYC cab, but a Minnie Van?
The driver should have known better.

Incomudro

They won't be any more cold than the outside air 'cept for whatever air leaks through the window and door weather stripping.
As riders will be dressed to be outside, they'll probably be a bit warmer than outside due to the protection from the wind.

Grimley1968

Anybody notice the three fans next to the center support columns? I assume those are there to "flush" the air in the gondolas between unloading and loading.

I noticed that, too, but am puzzled by the location if that's the purpose. They are on the non-door side of the gondolas. Hopefully some of the fan breeze would get through the vents and the windows if they're open.

Disone

Anybody notice the three fans next to the center support columns? I assume those are there to "flush" the air in the gondolas between unloading and loading.
IMO The fans are there to circulate the air in the station for the people who are there. All day long. It's really not for the gondolas.

I know I know.... I'm wrong, :) , but moving air makes you feel cooler.

Disone

IMO The fans are there to circulate the air in the station for the people who are there. All day long. It's really not for the gondolas.

I know I know.... I'm wrong, :) , but moving air makes you feel cooler.

Creathir

They have the same fans over on the Pop station as well. We’ve been told it is to help mitigate the lack of airflow while the gondolas are not moving quickly through the station.

joelkfla

That's what I had thought when they were first photographed at Pop. But in this photo, you can see that they're just above floor level -- too low for the window opposite the cabin doors, and too high for the floor vents. So now I;m not sure.

Disone

They have the same fans over on the Pop station as well. We’ve been told it is to help mitigate the lack of airflow while the gondolas are not moving quickly through the station.
I can't really imagine that is really the design. First, the fans are on the wrong side. Second the gondola is not in front of the fans for long enough to be effective even if they were on the correct side.

tonymu

Premium Member
Interesting tidbit about hours of operation from Blog Mickey....

"First, Cast Members will earn a starting hourly wage of $12/hour, moving up to $13/hour when the system opens on September 29th.

The second new piece of information, and perhaps the most interesting is the hours that Cast will be expected to work. Keep in mind that this position is considered a guest-facing position (read: not maintenance). According to the job listing, Cast Members will be asked to not only work first and second shifts, but also third shift where applicable. Disney goes on to list hours “as early as 5am” and “as late as 3am, 4am, or 5am”. Disney notes that the Walt Disney World Resort operates 24 hours a day, even if the parks aren’t open. Now, that’s not to say that the gondolas will operate 24 hours a day, because they likely won’t. That said, Disney looks to be anticipating long hours, if not for the Cast Members alone."

Seems that the gondolas will operate beyond park hours to serve resorts and possibly Boardwalk dining and entertainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom