News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

trainplane3

Some pictures of the fire department undergoing evac training by the IG were posted online and then pulled. Nothing we didn't expect, seemed like a standard gondola evac but over the water with a small boat underneath.

TP2000

Because they were not designed with proper ventilation.

I've been following this Skyliner story to see if WDI makes the same mistake with the Skyliner cabins as they did with the Mark VII monorails.

Allegedly the lead Imagineer for the Mark VII design, Scott Drake, told Bob Gurr he didn't need Gurr's help and old-timey ways. The original Mark I through Mark V Disneyland monorails that Gurr designed had full roll-down windows to let in plenty of air on hot days.

monorail_station1959cl.jpg

But when Scott Drake designed the Mark VII monorails, he went for form over function instead of form follows function. The Mark VII monorails only have two windows per car that only open a small bit, making the cars steel hotboxes in the summer sun.

monorail-above-nemo-subs.jpg

From July through September, Anaheim's hottest months, it's not unusual for the Disneyland Monorail to have to close for most of the afternoon due to unbearable heat inside the cabins. Imagineer Scott Drake was promoted at WDI after the Disneyland Monorail mess, and he is currently leading the team that is designing Marvel Land at Disney California Adventure.

I'm interested to see if WDI learned any lessons from that Monorail mess with the Skyliner and its cabin ventilation.

skg0923840923840293fi-624x351.jpg

peter11435

I've been following this Skyliner story to see if WDI makes the same mistake with the Skyliner cabins as they did with the Mark VII monorails.

Allegedly the lead Imagineer for the Mark VII design, Scott Drake, told Bob Gurr he didn't need Gurr's help and old-timey ways. The original Mark I through Mark V Disneyland monorails that Gurr designed had full roll-down windows to let in plenty of air on hot days.

monorail_station1959cl.jpg

But when Scott Drake designed the Mark VII monorails, he went for form over function instead of form follows function. The Mark VII monorails only have two windows per car that only open a small bit, making the cars steel hotboxes in the summer sun.

monorail-above-nemo-subs.jpg

From July through September, Anaheim's hottest months, it's not unusual for the Disneyland Monorail to have to close for most of the afternoon due to unbearable heat inside the cabins. Imagineer Scott Drake was promoted at WDI after the Disneyland Monorail mess, and he is currently leading the team that is designing Marvel Land at Disney California Adventure.

I'm interested to see if WDI learned any lessons from that Monorail mess with the Skyliner and its cabin ventilation.

skg0923840923840293fi-624x351.jpg
WDI didn’t design the skyliner cabins or their ventilation system.

TP2000

WDI didn’t design the skyliner cabins or their ventilation system.

Valid point. I know that they basically bought these off the shelf from an outside company, but with such a huge order I'm also sure WDI as the "client" would have plenty of input on their window design and ventilation.

My only experience with enclosed skyway cabins is at Whistler and Blackcomb in winter where ventilation is not an issue, or the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway which has onboard air conditioning. I'm sure WDI had plenty of opportunity to offer input and design tweaks regarding ventilation before they bought this Skyliner system.

Last edited:

jt04

Because they were not designed with proper ventilation.

Doesn't seem reasonable the would have added AC for two or three weeks in the heart of summer temperatures.

It is upper 80s with less than 50% humidity. What a bunch of snowflakes.

They should just add signage that if you are sensitive to warm temps to use the tram. And consider moving to Portland.

joelkfla

Valid point. I know that they basically bought these off the shelf from an outside company, but with such a huge order I'm also sure WDI as the "client" would have plenty of input on their window design and ventilation.
No, this is a standard design. Doppelmayr just added a couple of extra vents to improve ventilation.
Portland's Aerial Tramway system, in one of the mildest climates in the nation, has cabins that are enclosed and fully air conditioned.
An aerial tramway is an entirely different thing from a 10-passenger detachable gondola lift.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

My only experience with enclosed skyway cabins is at Whistler and Blackcomb in winter where ventilation is not an issue, or the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway which has onboard air conditioning. I'm sure WDI had plenty of opportunity to offer input and design tweaks regarding ventilation before they bought this Skyliner system.

As I believe @Lift Blog has pointed out, there is no such thing as a truly "off the shelf" gondola system, every system is customized for the customer.

begood524

Not the most exciting update but ProspectivePixieDust got a pic of the interior of AoA’s restrooms

DHSCM

Not to much worth mentioning but a very very up close view of the gondolas reveals just how dirty they are and will get, not sure how they will get cleaned, Im just being picky. Also an up close view at the top of the gondola reveals what looks like conduit for providing electricity on board since we know they will get charged going through the stations. Willing to bet there is a small speaker for announcements and probably a small LED puck light as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.02.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.02.38 PM.png
    822.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.01.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.01.43 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.01.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.01.19 PM.png
    664.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.00.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 10.00.45 PM.png
    921.8 KB · Views: 241

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom