News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

truecoat

I really want to know what is going on in that clip...

First, the Gondola just takes off down the hill, which makes no sense at all...
Second, why is the cabin spinning?
Third, those skis must by bolted to the floor, or completely immune to centripetal forces
Fourth, just everything else...

If you don't know, it's from a movie where the bad guys are trying to kill the super secret agents.

Movielover

Third, those skis must by bolted to the floor, or completely immune to centripetal forces
Fifth...Are there no towers down the hill?

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... but I can't wait to hear your reaction for what comes next!

g7.gif

;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Fifth...Are there no towers down the hill?

The rotating cabin is a real thing....

Bender123

You should check both Kingsman movies out! great throwbacks to the Connery and Moore era bonds in a modern day setting. Delightfully witty and violent!

I have seen the first one, loved it. Just haven't gotten around to the second one. I will admit, the tie in Statesmen Bourbon from Old Forester is pretty amazing.

Nubs70

Was just wondering, are these things equipped with panic buttons or some kind of communication in case of a medical emergency onboard? Not sure what could be done but in the case of a breakdown how will passengers be communicated with?
For communication.from inside the cabin to outside, there are colored flares under the seats.

For communication from the ground to the cabin, the will be a group 23 CM's who will yell really loud from the ground in all the different languages found at the map.racks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A car in the sun at 85 degrees
  • with no IR coated glass
  • with no ventilation
takes 30 minutes to reach 120 degrees.

The gondolas have
  • IR coated glass
  • ventilation at 11 mph
  • over a minute of shade for every 7 minutes in the sun.
Stop with these logical, well thought out, intelligent posts stating actual facts...it was posted on some guys Facebook page that he heard from a CM that it was 120 degrees in there so it’s obviously true;)

Goofyernmost

You will be in the air for less than 7 minutes. When you get to the station inform the CM about the emergency. It will likely take you longer to talk with 911 and describe the situation than it will to get to the next station.
Took the words right out of my mouth. You'd have to wonder if they ever considered a 911 situation in their car on a deserted stretch of highway in a desert or mountain pass. One has to wonder what part of 7 minutes people don't understand.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I hated this character so much.
Even as a young kid, it made no sense even in a movie.
So, metal teeth in a human jaw, limited by human jaw muscles and bone strength?
What could that do?
So, laser-firing wrist watches, Aston-Martins with ejection seats, spaceship-swallowing spaceships, rocket bases in extinct volcanoes, and hijacked nuclear bombers didn't faze you?

Last edited:

Lensman

So, laser-firing wrist watches, Aston-Martins with ejection seats, spaceship-swallowing spaceships, rocket bases in extinct volcanoes, and hijacked nuclear bombers didn't faze you?
Hey, those might come in as "plausible" on the Mythbusters, though the laser wrist watch is beyond currently known technology and the spaceship and rocket bases are both too expensive even for S.P.E.C.T.R.E.. They wouldn't need to extort any money if they had enough to build those. :)

The thing that bothered me the most in You Only Live Twice was the footage of the American and Russian launches. For the American launch it looked like an unmanned Atlas-Agena launch vehicle and the Russian launch was clearly a Titan II Gemini launch vehicle. They really should have switched the two and most people wouldn't have noticed because the Atlas-Agena was much less well-known than the manned Gemini-Titan vehicles.

One little tidbit about the Atlas-Agena launch vehicle is that it depended on pressurization to maintain structural integrity. Here is a video of one losing pressurization on the pad and collapsing:

And now back to the gondola discussion...

Edited to add: Here's a fascinating look at this incident. Hurts even more to know that there was a KH-7 sitting on top of this, according to the comments to the article that correct and expand on the article itself.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

If you're on the monorail between Epcot and MK, same thing.
Or walking through the parking lot. I'd bet if one person calls 911 from the middle of the TTC lot and another person calls 911 right after the gondola leaves the station, the EMT won't reach the person in the parking lot any faster.

If anybody thinks riding the gondola is a risk, take a hike in a national park. Good luck if you have an emergency and there is no cell service (as there usually isn't). Same driving some very rural highways out west.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom