News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

note2001

Yep. But people keep whining and angsting and worrying about it. AC isn't needed for a 5-15 minute gondola ride with large vents. Everyone: we will survive and be just fine. We won't roast to death, I promise ;) (and it wouldn't help, ultimately, IMHO)
These are the same people who arrive to the game when the 3rd inning is almost over, who turn to the person next to them to ask "Who's winning?" instead of glancing at the board, and then take off before the 9th even starts.

Goofyernmost

Just FYI for those that say the cabins are left outside every night, here’s a picture from DHS tonight. No cabins. The Pop line was empty, too. So, maybe if the testing crews aren’t working weekends, they return them?

View attachment 366649
I don't think that tells us anything. They are still doing a lot of work on the line (stuff we don't know about and wouldn't probably understand if they did tell us.) Let's wait and see how it is handled when they have to have all the cabins on the line to get people to the morning rope drops. They don't have the luxury of taking hundreds of cabins out of storage every single morning and put them all away at night. It may be something they do while testing is going on, but, I will bet the farm it won't happen when it is up and running.

Yep. But people keep whining and angsting and worrying about it. AC isn't needed for a 5-15 minute gondola ride with large vents. Everyone: we will survive and be just fine. We won't roast to death, I promise ;) (and it wouldn't help, ultimately, IMHO)
5-15 minutes in the heat could be no big deal, but consider that the gondolas will be under the hot sun for hours. They may have reflective coating, but they are still metal, and over the course of hours, metal absorbs heat. Most young people can deal with a little heat without much consequence. But some older people don't deal with the heat as well. The wife and I road a Disney bus in the heat with broken AC from AllStar Sports to Magic Kingdom. For some people including the wife it was too much, it zaps the energy from a person. So that after the ride it is difficult to do the marathon walking needed to traverse the park.

Maybe all the worry over the heat will turn out to be pointless. But if I had to lay money down, I think I would lay it down on the side of, there are going to be problems.

I know, maybe we should just not go in the heat of summer, and you are right. Because of being a little older and not dealing with heat as well, we try to go when it is a little cooler.

joelkfla

5-15 minutes in the heat could be no big deal, but consider that the gondolas will be under the hot sun for hours. They may have reflective coating, but they are still metal, and over the course of hours, metal absorbs heat. Most young people can deal with a little heat without much consequence. But some older people don't deal with the heat as well. The wife and I road a Disney bus in the heat with broken AC from AllStar Sports to Magic Kingdom. For some people including the wife it was too much, it zaps the energy from a person. So that after the ride it is difficult to do the marathon walking needed to traverse the park.

Maybe all the worry over the heat will turn out to be pointless. But if I had to lay money down, I think I would lay it down on the side of, there are going to be problems.
Maybe, maybe not.

But the gondolas will have flow-thru ventilation and a small volume of contained air, plus it looks like fresh air will be blown into them when they pass thru the stations.

Disney buses, OTOH, have absolutely no ventilation when their a/c is not working.

mm121

...or the VIP Gondola Experience... $49.99 per person. Includes a picture of a cupcake and a commemorative pin.
They definitely could have included a few gondolas with A/C only accessible via a daily upcharge.

Surprised the bean counters didn't think of that.

joelkfla

OT: Possible Gondola between Staten Island, NY and Bayonne, NJ

If you follow the link to the original story on the SI paper and read the comments, they're universally negative: a political boondoggle, too expensive to ride, too many transfers, too hard to get to, and on and on. And in this case, they're probably right

trainplane3

Some evac testing is occurring:
img_3974.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom