News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

iowamomof4

How long does it take to do the landscaping around buildings like these Skyliner stations? It seems like construction of the stations themselves is where most of the work remains and it also seems like the pace of that construction has slowed considerably over the last month or so. But then I consider that one of the reasons it looks like there is so much work left to do is because the ground remains all torn up around the stations and that could all be fixed up pretty quickly with sod, bushes, and flower beds. So I guess I just wondered what people think about everything left to do on the stations and how much work actually remains.

lazyboy97o

They should just put in a crosswalk with clearly marked signs and a stop sign. I feel like if cars/buses are forced to stop for a stop sign they are much less likely to run down a pedestrian. If it became a major problem they could even add a traffic light with a pedestrian crossing button. I think stop signs and a cross walk should be good enough to solve the problem.
There seems to be a widespread belief that stop signs and red lights are optional in Florida.

How long does it take to do the landscaping around buildings like these Skyliner stations? It seems like construction of the stations themselves is where most of the work remains and it also seems like the pace of that construction has slowed considerably over the last month or so. But then I consider that one of the reasons it looks like there is so much work left to do is because the ground remains all torn up around the stations and that could all be fixed up pretty quickly with sod, bushes, and flower beds. So I guess I just wondered what people think about everything left to do on the stations and how much work actually remains.
Area Development work can be done in a few days depending on the design.

surfsupdon

I see your points and I certainly did not mean that it was ‘unprecedented’ to cross the street.

This road has now become the main artery to CBR; it used to just be part of the circle, and it was on the far side of the long way around. OPR now houses registration, so all DME buses and drop offs pass this route in addition to Disney Transport and anyone heading to Trinidad, Barbados, OPR, or Martinique. It is now the main entry road and has far more congestion.

A gondola hub to head to Epcot or the Studios from CBR will have far more Guests accessing this stop compared to an individual bus stop servicing a portion of a Resort (OKW SS). More people having to cross a road now with more vehicle traffic.

Perhaps I’m the minority, but I foresee this area becoming pretty chaotic.

joelkfla

This road has now become the main artery to CBR; it used to just be part of the circle, and it was on the far side of the long way around. OPR now houses registration, so all DME buses and drop offs pass this route in addition to Disney Transport and anyone heading to Trinidad, Barbados, OPR, or Martinique. It is now the main entry road and has far more congestion.
Barbados and half of Martinique no longer exist; they were demolished for Riviera. So it's only the main entrance road for half of the units. But you're right that all Guests will pass the point for check-in, whether driving or arriving by DME.

Disney Transport drivers are trained not to hit pedestrians.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't know that they'd renamed Trinidad North to Barbados. Same number of units, though, exactly 1/2 of the resort.

Last edited:

mitchk

Today security stopped me and told me to delete the pictures because I was taking pictures over the fence

surfsupdon

Based on the discussion in this thread, the skyliner will be much more dangerous then crossing the road to get to it. ;)

I want to clarify again. I am not saying that crossing this road is dangerous; but rather that with the increased pedestrian and vehicle traffic merging at one spot, I can see times of back up on Seabreeze Drive.

To keep the flow of vehicle traffic easily flowing, build a pedestrian walk under the bridge, similar to the opposite shoreline.

Creathir

Question regarding normal operating procedures @Lift Blog

In the morning, when you’re staring the system up, do you guys walk the line before starting it up and attaching the cabins or do some sort of visual inspection?

Presumably if it’s visual only, I’m guessing you just look up the mountain.

If a daily inspection is part of the standard operating procedures, in level installations such as the SkyLiner, would they just drive along the service roads to perform the inspection?

iowamomof4

I want to clarify again. I am not saying that crossing this road is dangerous; but rather that with the increased pedestrian and vehicle traffic merging at one spot, I can see times of back up on Seabreeze Drive.

To keep the flow of vehicle traffic easily flowing, build a pedestrian walk under the bridge, similar to the opposite shoreline.

I agree with your point, but also remember that some number of guests will be closer to the Riviera station and will head that direction instead. I assume Disney considered how to handle foot traffic heading to the CBR station from within the resort and must have determined it wouldn't impede traffic too terribly. Although certainly they've been known to overlook seemingly obvious problems from time to time.

Incomudro

It's not on the main entry road. Only cars coming or going to Barbados or Trinidad (55% of the remaining units), or Old Port Royale go that way. The crosswalk is beyond the entrance to the Jamaica parking. They might put a stop sign at the crosswalk.

We stayed at Trinidad in CB several years ago, and I saw the way vehicles - particularly buses pass that road.
Disney's definitely going to need to step up the safety of the crossings there, as I'm sure they will.
I'm fit, active and am very used to dodging cars in Brooklyn and Staten Island - and this crossing requires attention as it is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We stayed at Trinidad in CB several years ago, and I saw the way vehicles - particularly buses pass that road.
Disney's definitely going to need to step up the safety of the crossings there, as I'm sure they will.
I'm fit, active and am very used to dodging cars in Brooklyn and Staten Island - and this crossing requires attention as it is.
They can add any combination of speed bumps, stop signs or flashing “yield to pedestrian” signs. If that’s not enough they could easily add a traffic light and have pedestrians wait until the light is red for the cars on the road to cross. It’s really easy to cross at the light walking from CR to MK and that’s an even bigger road.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

It was a joke.

Lift Blog

Question regarding normal operating procedures @Lift Blog

In the morning, when you’re staring the system up, do you guys walk the line before starting it up and attaching the cabins or do some sort of visual inspection?

Presumably if it’s visual only, I’m guessing you just look up the mountain.

If a daily inspection is part of the standard operating procedures, in level installations such as the SkyLiner, would they just drive along the service roads to perform the inspection?

Most of the pre-operational checks are in the stations. For one thing, it's usually dark along the line when ski resorts start lifts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom