News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Yes, absolutely! Except for the Riviera part. You’d have to go back to DHS by Skyliner and then get the bus (probably no buses from Riviera to Epcot, remember?).

But the question was what if they took the Skyliner and then got stranded at the IG!
This is not a new problem though.
If I park at Epcot, and have a late dinner at the Yachtsman, if its after park closing, I'm in the same boat. (pardon the pun)

Hopefully I had enough sense to not leave my car at Epcot if I was butting up against the park close like that.

joelkfla

The question is, how long to buses continue to run to a park after it has closed?
After a park has closed, the only way to get to it by bus is from another park, unless buses are still running from the park and you can intercept a bus dropping off at the resort and returning to the park for more Guests, and convince the driver that you left your car parked at the park. Buses run from a closed park to a resort until there are no more Guests returning to that resort, but the later it gets the less likely a bus will be returning to the park.

So if someone was at a resort trying to get to their car at a closed park, and there were no buses still running from the park to the resort, they would need to take a bus to an open park and then get another bus to the closed park. If no parks are open, the only thing I can think of (short of taxi/Uber) would be to get a bus to DS and try to talk their way into getting dropped off at the park (but I don't know what DS Bus Ops policy is on that.)

I want to add that all this is based on my experience as a driver, but I retired 3 years ago. I know some things have changed since then, but AFAIK this is still the way park exits work.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
After a park has closed, the only way to get to it by bus is from another park, unless buses are still running from the park and you can intercept a bus dropping off at the resort and returning to the park for more Guests, and convince the driver that you left your car parked at the park. Buses run from a closed park to a resort until there are no more Guests returning to that resort, but the later it gets the less likely a bus will be returning to the park.

So if someone was at a resort trying to get to their car at a closed park, and there were no buses still running from the park to the resort, they would need to take a bus to an open park and then get another bus to the closed park. If no parks are open, the only thing I can think of (short of taxi/Uber) would be to get a bus to DS and try to talk their way into getting dropped off at the park (but I don't know what DS Bus Ops policy is on that.)

I want to add that all this is based on my experience as a driver, but I retired 3 years ago. I know some things have changed since then, but AFAIK this is still the way park exits work.

This is why I never have a car at WDW. :)

JoeCamel

I was thinking in the same terms as crane wire, it relaxes and stretches a bit. New wire ropes for them are initially ran through cycles at a lower load and speed to help with the initial stretch and seating of the wire. So would the gondolas wire itself need a running in period with a few gondolas at a time. Excuse me for thinking in crane operation terms.
You are understanding one of the limits of a new system. In some cases it stretches enough a new splice has to be made but I doubt that would happen with this rope. It is beefy and has lots of towers to support it.

IMDREW

Can someone tell me how getting back to your car works at the Magic Kingdom if you’re the last person leaving the park? You can’t walk back to the ticket center right? And the monorail and ferries also stop. Do they always have a bus ready to help?

Creathir

Can someone tell me how getting back to your car works at the Magic Kingdom if you’re the last person leaving the park? You can’t walk back to the ticket center right? And the monorail and ferries also stop. Do they always have a bus ready to help?
Transportation from the parks is available 2 hours after park closing, hopefully it doesn’t take that long to leave.

mlayton144

Random question , any reason Disney couldn’t have made these Skyliner structures more visually attractive? Quite honestly , the first thing that come to mind when seeing these are giant power transmission lines that one would see in all parts of the country , of which no one wound want their home near if they have a choice. Love the new transportation option . But god what an eyesore !

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Random question , any reason Disney couldn’t have made these Skyliner structures more visually attractive? Quite honestly , the first thing that come to mind when seeing these are giant power transmission lines that one would see in all parts of the country , of which no one wound want their home near if they have a choice. Love the new transportation option . But god what an eyesore !

The only reason is money.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They could have built a subway...but the ride might be a little wet ;)

Frontierland's Finest

I would have personally would have like the idea of doing a streetcar/light rail, but that is a bit more pricey to build than the Skyliner.

GeneralKnowledge

Has anyone thought of the issue where someone parks at EPCOT, takes the skyliner to DHS and then can't get back to their vehicle for free? If EPCOT closes before DHS (very likely once SWGE comes online), there would be no way to get to the EPCOT parking lot once the park closes.

They just have to employ the strategy I overheard some drunkards discussing on the way out of the IG the other night after ROE....... "It's cool, we'll just go over to the Boardwalk and have a couple drinks, then when we come back here we will just tell the security guard that we're really nice people and they'll let us walk through the park to get back to the car"

I probably should've interjected and let them know their plan was going to fail, but as they say in Germany.....schadenfreude

DisneyCane

A long time ago we parked at Epcot and then went to MK (I think for MVMCP but can't remember) until very late. My wife (fiancee at the time) and I got our own private monorail back to Epcot. It was back when you could ride in the front so we did.

SLUSHIE

A long time ago we parked at Epcot and then went to MK (I think for MVMCP but can't remember) until very late. My wife (fiancee at the time) and I got our own private monorail back to Epcot. It was back when you could ride in the front so we did.

I have done this many times myself.

As for the question about not being able to get to your car at EPCOT from Studios... the same thing can happen already. The simple answer is park at the Studios before going to EPCOT if you plan to end up back at the Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom