News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Patcheslee

think about that for 1 second. if putting them all on empty would stress the wire, what do you think will happen when they are all on the line loaded with people?
(sigh....)
I was thinking in the same terms as crane wire, it relaxes and stretches a bit. New wire ropes for them are initially ran through cycles at a lower load and speed to help with the initial stretch and seating of the wire. So would the gondolas wire itself need a running in period with a few gondolas at a time. Excuse me for thinking in crane operation terms.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was thinking in the same terms as crane wire, it relaxes and stretches a bit. New wire ropes for them are initially ran through cycles at a lower load and speed to help with the initial stretch and seating of the wire. So would the gondolas wire itself need a running in period with a few gondolas at a time. Excuse me for thinking in crane operation terms.
I didn't think your point was unreasonable... between load and heat, those cables are going to stretch some.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I got what you are saying... working it in and also distributing the load and mixing in new load vs all lopsided. Don't worry, the detractors were not even thinking that advanced :)

Purduevian

Has anyone thought of the issue where someone parks at EPCOT, takes the skyliner to DHS and then can't get back to their vehicle for free? If EPCOT closes before DHS (very likely once SWGE comes online), there would be no way to get to the EPCOT parking lot once the park closes.

OG Runner

No apology needed. The way you described breaking in the new wire makes perfect sense.

lukacseven

Has anyone thought of the issue where someone parks at EPCOT, takes the skyliner to DHS and then can't get back to their vehicle for free? If EPCOT closes before DHS (very likely once SWGE comes online), there would be no way to get to the EPCOT parking lot once the park closes.
I'm sure there's a contingency for that. The Skyliner isn't going to shut down at the same time the park closes. They'd have to remain in operation for some period of time after. Remember, if DHS is open they still have to operate routes back to the resorts. They'd also have to begin operation prior to opening so guest can get there for rope crop (especially for SWGE).

cspencer96

Just curious, what do people in that situation do currently? Do they have to go to the Beach Club bus stop and catch a bus to the front of EPCOT?
They typically notify a Cast Member (or CMs simply notice that a family is wandering aimlessly trying to figure out what to do), and the CM communicates with their coordinators or leadership to assist the guests in getting back to their cars, usually by bus or Minnie Van. Imagine being the last guests to leave Magic Kingdom at night, but you parked at Animal Kingdom that morning for Pandora and hopped over to MK for fireworks. This is a regular occurrence, and Disney handles it very smoothly.

joelkfla

Just curious, what do people in that situation do currently? Do they have to go to the Beach Club bus stop and catch a bus to the front of EPCOT?
There is currently bus service between DHS & Epcot, which generally runs until each park is empty. Since the Skyliner is primarily resort-to-park transportation, not park-to-park, that would probably continue.

Currently, when a Guest wants to go from a park where Guests are still exiting to a closed park to get their car after regular park-to-park bus service has ended, they will usually be put on a bus going to a resort near the destination park, and the driver will drop them at the park after finishing the run to the resort. If they're really late, and bus service at the originating park is about to be shut down, they may just be put on a bus on the way to the garage or driven in a van.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm sure there's a contingency for that. The Skyliner isn't going to shut down at the same time the park closes. They'd have to remain in operation for some period of time after. Remember, if DHS is open they still have to operate routes back to the resorts. They'd also have to begin operation prior to opening so guest can get there for rope crop (especially for SWGE).

Yes there will be contingency, as others have said.

But I think you missed the point here. The Skyliner would take them back to the IG. The IG would be closed if Epcot closed first. So then they have to figure out how to get to the Main entrance of Epcot. In that situation, I think a CM would direct them to the Boardwalk (having radioed ahead) and they would get some form of transport from there.

Creathir

Yes there will be contingency, as others have said.

But I think you missed the point here. The Skyliner would take them back to the IG. The IG would be closed if Epcot closed first. So then they have to figure out how to get to the Main entrance of Epcot. In that situation, I think a CM would direct them to the Boardwalk (having radioed ahead) and they would get some form of transport from there.
I would think if you're making your way to the Epcot parking lot, wouldn't you just take the bus directly to the front of the park from DHS?
Even if you had wandered off to the Riviera for catching the fireworks while sipping on some French wine, wouldn't you just take its bus to the front of Epcot?

If you're doing something like that, you probably should have enough knowledge beforehand to figure out how you're going to get back to your car after the park closes.

nickys

Premium Member
I would think if you're making your way to the Epcot parking lot, wouldn't you just take the bus directly to the front of the park from DHS?
Even if you had wandered off to the Riviera for catching the fireworks while sipping on some French wine, wouldn't you just take its bus to the front of Epcot?

If you're doing something like that, you probably should have enough knowledge beforehand to figure out how you're going to get back to your car after the park closes.

Yes, absolutely! Except for the Riviera part. You’d have to go back to DHS by Skyliner and then get the bus (probably no buses from Riviera to Epcot, remember?).

But the question was what if they took the Skyliner and then got stranded at the IG!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The question is, how long to buses continue to run to a park after it has closed?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

What bus from Riviera to Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom