News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

kurtk

Like this?

I think this would make for a fun time.

Saw the title of the video and my first thought was 'they have ski lifts in Georgia, USA?' I know too much of an USA centric view.

I was surprised there was no safety features that would have stopped this. No emergency stop button??

DisneyCane

There is no reason to not run it with all the cabins on the line at all times. Sometimes when there is lower demand, lifts will run at a slower speed. I'm not necessarily sure of the exact reason for that, but its probably just a cost savings on electricity to run it at a slower speed when not needed

Do we know that those little boxes on top of the cabins are for?
I've never experienced a lift running at lower speed unless there is a load/unload issue happening. With a ski lift, empty chairs/cabins use very little energy because the chairs/cabins coming down the mountain are assisting in pulling cabins up the mountain due to potential energy transfer. With skyliner you don't get this benefit since there is no elevation change.

JoeCamel

I've never experienced a lift running at lower speed unless there is a load/unload issue happening. With a ski lift, empty chairs/cabins use very little energy because the chairs/cabins coming down the mountain are assisting in pulling cabins up the mountain due to potential energy transfer. With skyliner you don't get this benefit since there is no elevation change.
Still need to balance the sides. If you stack all the cabins on one side of the line bad things happen.

note2001

Like this?

I think this would make for a fun time.

Ow.

Reminds me of when you see the wait time listed as 5 minutes and you rush down the line only to slam into a 40 minute wait at the end.

Someone explain to me why folk are coming down the ski lift? Usually the point (in winter) is to go up and ski down.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Still need to balance the sides. If you stack all the cabins on one side of the line bad things happen.
I'm sure there is some max weight differential but it certainly doesn't need to be equal (or anything close). Most chair lifts only have passengers on the uphill side. A quad at full capacity with 120 chairs will have over 30000 lbs more weight on the uphill side.

SLUSHIE

I'm not talking about running at medium speed vs fast, I'm talking like 4m/s vs 5m/s. Where I worked, we opened the gondola almost an hour before the resort opened for employees and supplies etc. and often the lift wasn't run at full speed until we were open for guests.

Also, chairs lifts are often run at lower speeds for many other reasons than what you mention including high winds.

zann285

Saw the title of the video and my first thought was 'they have ski lifts in Georgia, USA?' I know too much of an USA centric view.

I was surprised there was no safety features that would have stopped this. No emergency stop button??

There did actually used to be one in Georgia the state, Sky Valley, but it closed in 2004 when they decided to stop fighting the mild winters.

Doug Means

There did actually used to be one in Georgia the state, Sky Valley, but it closed in 2004 when they decided to stop fighting the mild winters.

And are there not a few just across the line in N Carolina? When i lived in the ATL we would drive to the Carolina's to places like the Builtmore House and some ski places over there. Not a bad drive. But i remember passing a few just as you cross the state line.?

iowamomof4

I know we have a few pages in this discussion, but I seem to remember someone mentioning they thought they would be operating by May.

Yep, I've seen May mentioned as a possibility. That's when our trip is and I would love for it to be true. Disney's "fall" announcement was a gut-check though. I've all but given up at this point. I feel like we're in the 0-10% chance range that we'll get to ride it in May. It's frustrating though, since many or even all of the cabins look like they'll be on site by the end of this month. How on earth could it take another seven months (Feb-Aug) or more to be ready to transport guests?! Even the stations only seem to have a few more weeks worth of construction to go.

Berret

In the Parks
No

That's a rollback, and you may not be able to stop it just by hitting the emergency stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom