News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

When I saw this over the weekend I thought for sure someone would have linked to it already.

140 people evacuated from Whitefish Mountain Resort lift
This appears to be an older fixed-grip lift, originally installed in 1981, and so very different mechanically from a D-Line detachable grip system. The lift was relocated to it's current location this year. There was a problem with the lining of the bullwheel, which I'm guessing may have been related to the lift being standing but not operating for the past 3 years.

The chairs are as high as 100' above ground, much higher than Disney's Skyliner, and yet full evacuation took just 2.5 hours.

Missing20K

This appears to be an older fixed-grip lift, originally installed in 1981, and so very different mechanically from a D-Line detachable grip system. The lift was relocated to it's current location this year. There was a problem with the lining of the bullwheel, which I'm guessing may have been related to the lift being standing but not operating for the past 3 years.

The chairs are as high as 100' above ground, much higher than Disney's Skyliner, and yet full evacuation took just 2.5 hours.
And they didn't have to worry about baking in the ovens with gators circling below.

EricsBiscuit

From today.
IMG_6851.JPG
IMG_6852.JPG
IMG_6854.JPG
IMG_6855.JPG

joelkfla

A detachable chairlift and a detachable gondola are essentially the same thing. Only difference is enclosed vs. open cabin. When it comes to an evac it will be very similar.
As I said in my pp, this is a fixed grip chairlift, which is not at all the same. It also had been out of use for 3 years before being moved to it's current location a year ago.

Evacuation from a lift traveling over mountainous terrain at heights up to 100 feet is not at all similar. Evacuees rappelled down with ski patrol members. Evacuation from most of Skyliner will be possible by lift truck or bucket lifts.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A detachable chairlift and a detachable gondola are essentially the same thing. Only difference is enclosed vs. open cabin. When it comes to an evac it will be very similar.
The main thing that I took away from this story is the speed with which they were able to evac the whole lift. According to the story the lift stopped working at 12:15 and by 1pm they decided to evac the line instead of attempt to a complete the repair. The whole line was empty by 3:30. So just over 3 hours from initial stop to full evac and that’s on the side of a snowy mountain. The ski patrol was also in constant communication with trapped guests and offered them hot drinks and blankets as needed.

At WDW the lines will be way more accessible with flat ground and overall lower heights. I think seeing how well something like this was handled on the side of a mountain in a much more difficult setting should hopefully put most people’s fears to rest.

Goofyernmost

Well, yes, except for the climb up and decent down a mountain, traversing valleys and land formations, and, oh, yea... freezing temperatures and almost complete level and graveled access to the Gondola's. Other then that it is exactly the same.

JoeCamel

The main thing that I took away from this story is the speed with which they were able to evac the whole lift. According to the story the lift stopped working at 12:15 and by 1pm they decided to evac the line instead of attempt to a complete the repair. The whole line was empty by 3:30. So just over 3 hours from initial stop to full evac and that’s on the side of a snowy mountain. The ski patrol was also in constant communication with trapped guests and offered them hot drinks and blankets as needed.

At WDW the lines will be way more accessible with flat ground and overall lower heights. I think seeing how well something like this was handled on the side of a mountain in a much more difficult setting should hopefully put most people’s fears to rest.
In Florida they will have to offer personal water spray fans and cooling blankets.......

BrianLo

Evacuation from a lift traveling over mountainous terrain at heights up to 100 feet is not at all similar.

Totally right, not at all the same!

I can assure you everything about Florida is more extreme than a mountain. The weather, the terrain, the wildlife. Not to mention the people. That’s what this thread has taught me. Florida is the most extreme place on earth that Dopplmayr has ever had the misfortune of stepping into.

Kman

Totally right, not at all the same!

I can assure you everything about Florida is more extreme than a mountain. The weather, the terrain, the wildlife. Not to mention the people. That’s what this thread has taught me. Florida is the most extreme place on earth that Dopplmayr has ever had the misfortune of stepping into.

"Florida Man"... Check it on Reddit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom