News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Clamman73

CB33D81C-B964-4AB8-97EB-2BEB43FEA134.jpeg
4FEB394F-9B4B-4616-A087-D8C806BE47BB.jpeg

cosmicgirl

This vlogger is really putting in an effort to be on top of things! He has posted Skyliner updates for the past 3 days.
Exciting times! :D
For those who can't watch the video: it seems they pulled the haul rope on the DHS line overnight and did the first slow test run with a cabin bracket.
Edited to add: it's dark so you can't see if the bracket is moving on a temporary rope or the 54mm "real" one.

And more news from Adam Onthescene:

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

Could you tell if the thickest cable on the right is actually the haul rope yet to be installed, or is it somehow connected to those lamps?
In the video I posted above you can see the bracket moving, but you can't actually see the girth of the rope it's on, so it may have been one of the temporary ones. The rope running through the sheaves in your pictures still looks thinner than a haul rope to me.

Clamman73

Could you tell if the thickest cable on the right is actually the haul rope yet to be installed, or is it somehow connected to those lamps?
In the video I posted above you can see the bracket moving, but you can't actually see the girth of the rope it's on, so it may have been one of the temporary ones. The rope running through the sheaves in your pictures still looks thinner than a haul rope to me.
It’s beefy. It’s all the way to the station on both sides.
9C34ED64-2F8A-4FD4-88FE-363D46A9C791.jpeg
255C971C-AB45-47DD-9E3F-A4B6EC75DDE1.jpeg
Not 100% sure what’s what since I was just driving by as I took a pic.

cosmicgirl

It’s beefy. It’s all the way to the station on both sides. View attachment 326054View attachment 326055Not 100% sure what’s what since I was just driving by as I took a pic.

Great, thank you! The additional pictures help :).
I could be off, but to me it looks like they've completed the part over the parking lot in both directions and the rope is hanging downwards between the trees so they can do the splice. This matches with the location of the spool we saw a couple of days ago.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That is the final haul rope. Probably will be spliced shortly and put on the rest of the towers. The reason they put a grip and hanger on the end is to reduce rope twist.
Once they splice it, is there a "break-in period" before they start hanging gondolas?

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is the final haul rope. Probably will be spliced shortly and put on the rest of the towers. The reason they put a grip and hanger on the end is to reduce rope twist.

WIth that said, what that guy video'd is probably just the hanger on the rope why they rope is being PULLED right? Not the rope being driven by the stations at all. He keeps saying 'ride test' - but sounds like it is just pulling through, but with the arm clamped to the rope while it's being pulled?

cosmicgirl

WIth that said, what that guy video'd is probably just the hanger on the rope why they rope is being PULLED right? Not the rope being driven by the stations at all. He keeps saying 'ride test' - but sounds like it is just pulling through, but with the arm clamped to the rope while it's being pulled?
I watched some of the Big Sky live stream over the weekend (thanks for the link, @Lift Blog!) and what you describe matches what I saw there. They stopped pulling for the day when the hanger had come back off the mountain but I couldn't see where the pull rope ended and the haul rope began, so I didn't know what the significance was.
Thanks to @Clamman73's pictures we know that the haul rope wasn't up all the way yet this morning, so it can't have been a ride test.

Lift Blog

Once they splice it, is there a "break-in period" before they start hanging gondolas?

No but they probably still have wiring, adjustment and alignment to do in the stations. Of course this happens to be the busiest month of the year getting all the new ski lifts commissioned.

Correct, the grip was probably attached manually away from the stations. Looks like the haul rope was was winched around from the splice area.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I assume that is how it works, if you watch the cable splicing video you can see that they are working right near the base of a tower, so they must have the cable off a tower or two.

The idea of pulling the cable.. and then where the bracket was attached really made me consider how much 'extra' cable there might be on the spool just to make the pull function (cable needed to run the line, but not actually installed as part of the line..). Then I started thinking about how the system handles slack or not... then thinking about the fixed cable length to actually splice. Then started thinking about how much travel the tensioning system must be able to handle or not for a slack rope vs a loaded rope, etc. It gets interesting to think about the parameters they must work within :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom