News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

rio

No, but there will be a gift shop at the Skyliner Terminal where you can purchase a model of your favorite skyliner car.

Please let it be sold with the monorail playset. Those sets were pretty awesome, especially if you grabbed the Paradise Pier, TTC, and other sets. Even if you’re joking, sell it anyway!

Edit: players turned into playset

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

They should have them be the same as the monorail colors, for color consonance.
It's interesting to contemplate that. Do you know how many everyday guest at WDW do not even notice what damn color the Monorails are? They are all going the same place color or not. Colors of them or the Gondola's would only be to the extent of whatever their favorite colors might be. Red would be mine, but, I wouldn't wait for it if I were in route to someplace. If that were the one that got there when I was next, great... if not, the world had not just ended and it would be better luck next time.

Bender123

It's interesting to contemplate that. Do you know how many everyday guest at WDW do not even notice what damn color the Monorails are? They are all going the same place color or not. Colors of them or the Gondola's would only be to the extent of whatever their favorite colors might be. Red would be mine, but, I wouldn't wait for it if I were in route to someplace. If that were the one that got there when I was next, great... if not, the world had not just ended and it would be better luck next time.

Its amazing you say that. my Fiance was a WDW first timer and a designer...and she never even noticed the colors on the monorails. I think that for many first timers, there is just soooooo much stimulus going on that details like colors are just lost on the casual fan. I would not doubt 90% of the guests at WDW never notice things like the Main St windows, monorail colors or other details that we love to wallow in.

Patcheslee

Long as there's not a pink on for little girls to want to ride more than the others, think it won't effect much. Rode a roller coaster that had different color trains multiple times.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The colors could actually be useful on the Gondola since it could be used by the CM's as a way to tell guests which one to board.

mmascari

Exactly what I was thinking too.
One of the Riviera:

So, I know as with all WDW pictures, the scale is very deceiving. But, I can't see how people will get to the inside of the turn?

I'm assuming people will load/unload in both directions. Not sure which side is going which way. Getting to the outside of the bend looks straight forward and there looks like plenty of space for the unload and load legs in the straightaway sections.

Is it just to soon in the construction to see a longer path around the left to get to the inside of the turn? Along with the trick of scale making the inside legs look short for unload and load? There's less extra station structure on the inside of the turn too.

I suppose, just have to wait for the next pictures to clear it up....

trainplane3

So, I know as with all WDW pictures, the scale is very deceiving. But, I can't see how people will get to the inside of the turn?

I'm assuming people will load/unload in both directions. Not sure which side is going which way. Getting to the outside of the bend looks straight forward and there looks like plenty of space for the unload and load legs in the straightaway sections.

Is it just to soon in the construction to see a longer path around the left to get to the inside of the turn? Along with the trick of scale making the inside legs look short for unload and load? There's less extra station structure on the inside of the turn too.

I'd take a guess that's the case, unless someone in the know wants to clear this up. They could toss a path down in a few days so it could be one of the last things they'll do.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

They'll just walk around to the foot loading station... It could run either way but this is how I've seen it done in other systems. Just add the outer loop with a lifter to pull the wheel cabins onto the outer loop, then a dropper to put them back on the inner loop and have two lines -- foot and wheel riders.
Flow.jpg

joelkfla

It looks to me like there's a tunnel under the platform to the inside of the curve. It's hard to see here, but if you go to the full size image on Twitter, that walkway coming in from the lower left appears to be on a lower level than the rest of the station. There also appear to be railings on the outside of the station that would block the walkway if it were on the same level.

Amused to Death

Do you know how many everyday guest at WDW do not even notice what damn color the Monorails are?

They're all the same. White. Well, they're reasonably white, depending on when they last bothered to clean them. The colored stripes you're referring to represent what? 10% of their surface area? ;)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Its amazing you say that. my Fiance was a WDW first timer and a designer...and she never even noticed the colors on the monorails. I think that for many first timers, there is just soooooo much stimulus going on that details like colors are just lost on the casual fan. I would not doubt 90% of the guests at WDW never notice things like the Main St windows, monorail colors or other details that we love to wallow in.
I know that some on here will say that I am just not observant. I think I, at some point noticed the colors. Certainly not in the beginning, but, just as decoration. The significance to individual guest is exactly the same as if they put numbers on the side. With a limited coverage, Guest identifying what Monorail they ride in, is determined by time, day and destination. That is all that is necessary. Some enjoy knowing everything that there is to know about a specific train. What for is certainly an individual quest. It is also, at times, a foolish one. When a CM was killed in a Monorail accident in "Purple" we no longer have purple. Like, it was the color of the train that was responsible for the accident. It just is something that I cannot understand and have no reason to try. The argument was to honor the CM that died. So we know that it was in the Purple Train... how many do you suppose remember the CM's name. I'd bet very few. So some tribute.

I know I'm going to get lampooned about what I just said, because the more into the Disney thing people are the more that kind of thing seems important to them. Fine... but, it is just a very small percentage of people that see any relevance in the colors other then decoration. Good thing to talk about, because it is stuff like that that make us all different and we don't become bored, but, it is sometimes taken well beyond any reality. I just happen to disagree with any significance other then the difference between driving a green or a red Chevy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom