News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

nace888

What I'm curious about is whether or not your Gondola will stop at the station or is able to keep going without stopping... That three-way station for instance, can a cast member switch the path for you and can send you on to your destination?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What I'm curious about is whether or not your Gondola will stop at the station or is able to keep going without stopping... That three-way station for instance, can a cast member switch the path for you and can send you on to your destination?

Under normal conditions, the cars never stop, they slow down in the station to load and unload, but do not come to a complete stop. The cars will not switch lines at CBR, you will have to get off and transfer to another line to contiune on.

nace888

Under normal conditions, the cars never stop, they slow down in the station to load and unload, but do not come to a complete stop. The cars will not switch lines at CBR, you will have to get off and transfer to another line to contiune on.
That's actually interesting. Given that cast at night will have to switch lines in order to pack up the gondolas for the night, I'm shocked Disney didn't decide to utilize that technology to allow guests a Non-Stop experience. I understand they will slow down in the stations, but it just seems pointless to pull into a station with other guests waiting and they won't be able to get into your car.

GCTales

Clickbait has decided that months and months of discussion about the lack of AC is too good of an opportunity to pass off as his own "insider" information for an adsense check.

No AC, we've known this
He is also saying there will be power for audio announcements, which some have speculated and has not yet been confirmed by insiders.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
That's actually interesting. Given that cast at night will have to switch lines in order to pack up the gondolas for the night, I'm shocked Disney didn't decide to utilize that technology to allow guests a Non-Stop experience. I understand they will slow down in the stations, but it just seems pointless to pull into a station with other guests waiting and they won't be able to get into your car.

I don't believe the cars are taken off the line each night. When they are taken down they don't need to switch lines because the storage is at CBR where all three lines meet, so they will transfer right from the line to the storage area. Allowing guests to choose a destination would be a tricky thing to implement, especially since there is a limit to how many cars can be on each line at a time. The only place your last scenario will happen is at Riviera and I am sure they will have processes in place to handle this.

lazyboy97o

What do you mean? Storage for the vehicles is at the Caribbean Beach station and connects directly to each line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There are 3 separate lines. CBR to AoA, CBR to DHS and CBR to EPCOT (passing through the Riviera station). If you get on at DHS and want to go to EPCOT you ride DHS to CBR line and then get off. You then need to get on at the CBR to EPCOT line. They load/unload at 2 different places so you getting on at DHS and off at CBR will not prevent others from boarding your car (after you exit) to ride to DHS. The only place where you stay on and pass through a station is at Riviera which would be a possible place where full cars arrive and guests have to wait. Everywhere else you board empty cars unless someone chooses to go back where they started.

For Riviera one of the possible scenarios is they just sent a few empty cars out from CBR on the EPCOT line. At less busy times maybe send every 5th car empty and that will allow for guests to board at Riviera. I guess some guests will get off at Riviera too so that would free up cars.

nace888

Thank you guys for clearing that up, I've been following the thread, but wasn't paying attention to routes and such... I've had a pretty hectic month.

raymusiccity

That gondola shape reminds me a lot of the 8 person Poma gondola at Killington, VT.

6419119397_18383248ce_b.jpg

It looks like Skyliner gondolas are much smaller:
IMG_2352.JPG

joelkfla

It looks like Skyliner gondolas are much smaller:
View attachment 313555
I think it's an optical illusion caused by
  • the camera angle,
  • the extreme zoom on the Disney shot,
  • the vertical seam on the right-hand edge of the protective fabric,
  • the horizontal lines of the window edges on the Killington cabin,
  • the open doors and the ski racks on the Killington cabin, and
  • what looks like the corner of another cabin behind the ride side of the Killington cabin.
It's like how vertical stripes make a person look thinner, and horizontal stripes make a person look fatter. And zooming in always makes oblique surfaces appear narrower than they are.

Disney4family

Actual distance from IG to DHS along the Skyliner route is 2.1 mi. At 15.6 mph, that works out to 8 minutes traveling at full speed. Gondolas won't stop at Riviera, just slow down, which might take 2-3 minutes to pass thru the station. So adding a few minutes for acceleration and deceleration at each station, I think the time spent in the cabins from IG to DHS should be around 15 minutes, not including time spent walking and queueing for the transfer at CBR.
View attachment 313367
images

Lift Blog

I think it will be less then that. Should be 5 to 10 minutes actually in the car per leg, and then whatever the transfer time is at CBR. Unless the lines are long you should be able to do the Epcot to DHS trip in less then 20 minutes.
If these things really run at 7 m/s (I'm skeptical) the longest single stretch would be 7 minutes from Epcot to the hub. DHS line would take just 3 minutes and the lake 2.5 minutes. 1,378 feet a minute is FAST!

Patcheslee

If these things really run at 7 m/s (I'm skeptical) the longest single stretch would be 7 minutes from Epcot to the hub. DHS line would take just 3 minutes and the lake 2.5 minutes. 1,378 feet a minute is FAST!
I think it will be less then that. Should be 5 to 10 minutes actually in the car per leg, and then whatever the transfer time is at CBR. Unless the lines are long you should be able to do the Epcot to DHS trip in less then 20 minutes.
As accurate as you've been on timing and info, personally think I'll overestimate time to 30 minutes that way anything less feels quick. 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom