News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

tirian

To sum up things so far...

- These won't run when there is even a chance of a storm because the cars would blow off the cable or get struck by lighting
- These won't run when the sun is out because without AC it will be to hot
- At others times they will be broken down and they will be rescuing people from the stuck cars.
- During the rare times they are operational...
- People with wheelchairs, ECV and strollers won't ride because it will be impossible to load these efficiently.
- 1000's of people who are afraid of heights won't ride.
- Others won't ride because they don't want to be in a small space with strangers for the hours it will take to get from station to station.
- Most people won't be able to afford the gondola resorts because the price will likely get hiked by %200-%300.

- They will seriously impact the people who don't even use them (and based on the above only 5 or 6 people a day will use them)
- They crowds at the IG will totally destroy the efficiency of the entrance and thus no one will stay at the Epcot area resorts.
- The 200 foot tall towers will spoil the views from every location in Epcot and DHS.
- The gondola will bring the "riff-raff" into the Boardwalk area, this giving people even more reason not to stay there.

Did I get it all?
One day, a show on ABC will use them for a James Bond-style stunt in a special episode at Walt Disney World.

Lift Blog

Resonance dampeners.
Interesting thought. It is also curious that this tower has three such short segments (maybe for the same reason.) Lift towers do sometimes make annoying noises and it would make sense that Disney would want do reduce the chances as much as possible in the middle of a resort.

Seems like every week we discover more ways these lifts will be different from any other.

ProfSavage

After reading this thread, I am really excited about these gondolas. They're going to have everything!
bill-hader-stefon-return-snl.jpg

-lightning strikes
-alligators
-hurricane winds
-suffocation
-dying riders
-Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Jambo Joe

Disney’s newest thrill ride. FP reservations available at 4pm for daily thunderstorm.

Do we know much about the cable car in the video - have there been technological improvement to dampen the affect of wind or is this a poor design example etc. I have to admit that video gives one pause. The gondola is swinging hard enough to bang against the cable.

Lift Blog

Looking through bioreconstruct's tower photos, the lines appear to be designated TIG, THS and TPD. To International Gateway, To Hollywood Studios and To Pop ____?

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Interesting thought. It is also curious that this tower has three such short segments (maybe for the same reason.) Lift towers do sometimes make annoying noises and it would make sense that Disney would want do reduce the chances as much as possible in the middle of a resort.

Seems like every week we discover more ways these lifts will be different from any other.

@larryz is exactly right, while they may reduce noise the intent is to reduce column sway from wind.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, May 26, 2018. The Hollywood Studios station.

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Over at the Caribbean Beach Resort, the newly erected Skyliner towers appear to be the tallest on property. My guess is to minimize noise at the guest rooms just below.

IMG_0459.JPG

The Skyliner towers were built very close to some of the guest rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort.

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

While this concept art may have been posted before, here is a view approaching the Caribbean Beach Resort station near the new vehicle entrance to the resort.

IMG_0462.JPG

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do we know much about the cable car in the video - have there been technological improvement to dampen the affect of wind or is this a poor design example etc. I have to admit that video gives one pause. The gondola is swinging hard enough to bang against the cable.
Honestly, I mostly just posted that video as a joke. I’m no expert but I don’t think that’s supposed to happen. There must have been a really strong wind that day possibly from a storm that moved in fast and unexpectedly. I would assume the protocol would have been to shut it down in those winds. In the comments section someone said it was in Slovakia and no longer exists.

I wouldn’t worry about the WDW version moving like this. It will be shut down way before that happens. The cars will sway a little, but not carp your pants wild swinging like that :)

GCTales

And what exactly would the scientific explanation behind the little nubs be? The video shows bending, yes, but the lamp post doesn't have the nubs as far as I can tell.
Simplest expiration is that every structure has a wavelength frequency (say wnd speed at the top) at which it resonates (wiggles in a wave like motion). When the wind blows across the structure, the nubs have been placed to "stiffen" the structure and change that frequency or reduce the amount of wiggle.

cosmicgirl

Simplest expiration is that every structure has a wavelength frequency (say wnd speed at the top) at which it resonates (wiggles in a wave like motion). When the wind blows across the structure, the nubs have been placed to "stiffen" the structure and change that frequency or reduce the amount of wiggle.
That I know but unless they are attachment points of stringers on the inside of the tower they don't add anything structurally speaking. Nor aerodynamically, actually.

GCTales

They only need to be at structurally identified points, not connected across the entire a structure.

I can't think of an obvious example.

What they may be trying to do is stiffen specific points so that it changes the wind speed that causes it to resonate or allow it to resonate across a wider wind range, but "wiggle" a much smaller amount.

Last edited:

Lensman

What nubs are we talking about? Not the collars where the tower segments are attached to one another? And not the the little nubs that are the attachment points for ladders, platforms, and other ancillary structures that are going to be attached to the towers later?

Could they have to do with something designed to avoid vortex shedding?

Vortex shedding is apparently what caused the collapse of one of the towers at Cedar Point's former VertiGo ride.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VertiGo_(ride)#Incident

Caveat: I'm not a mechanical or civil engineer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Could they have to do with something designed to avoid vortex shedding?

Vortex disrupters wouldn't be so symmetrical and in the same plane as the movement of the wind, I wouldn't think.

I would also doubt (just a hunch on my part) that they're there to disrupt resonant vibration. The poles are rather stout and relatively short to get a good resonant vibration going.

My theories:

The poles over the CBR rooms had to be a few feet higher and these are extensions.​
Or, those collars disrupt ordinary sound vibrations (not full-poll resonant vibrations). This way, the people in those rooms don't feel a constant hum or vibration.​

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom