News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Remember Walt’s quote...”In Florida, we have the blessing of size.” I am pretty sure that didn’t mean build bigger buildings. That said, the contemporary is a much bigger building ant that is hidden in plane sight. The laziness that is clearly evident is visible in so many ways. For Soarin that comes in the way of them not even attempting to hid it from view. A simple facade could have been constructed to make it blend in with Canada. For the Skyliner it could be a simple facade or something. I just get the Spence that they aren’t even trying now. They are putting things up Fast and Furious (yes I meant that as a reference to the pour reception of the latest addition to Universal)
I guess you are of the same cut as myself. You have not looked up at the right moment and seen the Contemporary in clear view. The only spot that has ever been mention is how the building across from City Hall and the Firehouse is taller then the rest to allegedly hide the Contemporary. That may be truly intentional or it may have just been a happy accident and they decided to spin it that way for Modern Marvels. However, the Contemporary is in clear sight from Tomorrowland and the train around the park.

G00fyDad

I can't wait to see the Sorcerer's Hat again, it's like an old friend I've missed terribly.

It's in here...... somewhere. :)
090121-mexico-city-dump-hmed-2p.grid-6x2.jpg

TJJohn12

I’ve been trying to keep up as we go, but I’ll admit that I’ve missed some pages - so pardon if it’s a double question:

Do we have confirmation/speculation/pattern recognition as to bus service remaining at Gondola resorts? Do we expect there to be any limited bus service from, say, CBR to HS or EC to help alleviate guest complaints over acrophobia?

peter11435

I’ve been trying to keep up as we go, but I’ll admit that I’ve missed some pages - so pardon if it’s a double question:

Do we have confirmation/speculation/pattern recognition as to bus service remaining at Gondola resorts? Do we expect there to be any limited bus service from, say, CBR to HS or EC to help alleviate guest complaints over acrophobia?

Plans can and do change multiple times so it’s hard to say what will actually happen. But the plan when this project was approved was to discontinue bus service from the resorts serviced by the gondola. I would expect at least an attempt being made to follow through with that plan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Plans can and do change multiple times so it’s hard to say what will actually happen. But the plan when this project was approved was to discontinue bus service from the resorts serviced by the gondola. I would expect at least an attempt being made to follow through with that plan.
There was a person claiming to be an actual bus driver on one of these threads who claimed they would still keep regular bus service, but that’s the only time I heard anyone mention it. It would not follow any of the existing precedent if they kept bus service. They don’t have buses for people afraid of heights at the monorail resorts and the EPCOT Lake resorts don’t offer buses to DHS for people afraid of the boats.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When I brought up Disney being held to a higher standard a few pages back I was referring to attention to detail and theme. Using outhouses as an example, Disney recently built the Tangled toilets. We all made fun of it for taking so long and just being restrooms, but instead of just building a standard looking building with facilities they made it very detailed. Inside it’s just a bathroom. There’s nothing revolutionary about the toilets or sinks. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t meet the higher standard for attention to detail.

I think the gondolas themselves will be something special. Most guests (especially Americans) have never ridden a gondola outside of a ski resort. Like the monorail was in the beginning it’s a unique mode of transport for most guests. Also similar to the monorail the support structure will be visible to guests. I don’t think that’s a big deal either and I don’t think it’s a big deal if you see the gondolas from inside of the park if you are looking at the exit. The shots of the views over France and the Eiffel Tower look a little underwhelming to me right now. As others pointed out it’s mostly the Eiffel Tower itself being flawed that drives the issue due to the failed forced prospective. There’s still plenty of time to “hide” the tower currently seen and/or correct the issues with the Eiffel Tower by either moving it or enhancing it.

Goofyernmost

Was that not the plan?
Don't know and don't care, I was responding to the post that said the Contemporary wasn't visible and was hidden yet in plain. However, by either design or accident it was indeed visible from inside the park. They have used the hidden reason on Main Street as keeping the look to the turn of the century. Understandable, what isn't understandable is the insistence that the building or object visibility is any sort of a real detriment to the theme park experience no matter where it is. I maintain that it is not and is just another pie in the sky reason for complaining about something when the exact motives or needs are not understood. Example, in my mind the visibility of the Swan and Dolphin from Epcot is not out of any theme. (Pretty much the same as the Contemporary being visible from Tomorrowland.) How can it be when in many ways it is what could be a futuristic design, certainly nothing seen outside of the magical resort area. If we can stand in one spot and see three or four different themed pavilions then seeing those in the background does not detract from any immersion attempt. It is just search for personal definition support and not with any reality base. It is individuals stating that they don't like it, but, for no reason other then they don't like it, so lets throw in out of theme. It isn't, it is just thought of that way by some.

The Gondola's are a utility process and like the Monorail is also a unique attraction at WDW. They do not have to be visible or invisible anymore then buses in the resort are. It is just depressing to constantly hear the same crap time after time. Critiques of things that aren't even done yet, like they know exactly every detail that will eventually be added or whether or not it will have any affect on the general public. It might bother some, but, not for any logical reason. Just a few days ago a picture was posted showing the installation of the big Bull wheel (I think that is what it is called) and the comment, well that answers that question, they will be visible. Really, they think it is done and they will not be covering those up? But, let's not miss the opportunity to make it sound like Disney doesn't have any idea as brilliant as our own.

I guess I should just skip these threads, because, all they do is annoy me no end. In the end, unless one of the posters is Bob Iger, all information is passed along some obscure route rendering all of it to having a very high degree of distortion by the time it hits these pages. So, I guess I will just back out of a lot of these discussion and let you folks grow your ulcers of insignificance over useless detail. The magic comes from not knowing that you are being fooled into things and just let them happen naturally. That is the way I have always viewed WDW, in particular, I never saw it until I was 35 years old back in 1983 so I don't have any distorted childhood memories of what it was like back then and I will continue to do that until I'm dead. Sometimes it is a major curse to know or think we know more then we need too.

This is speculation.

1. Some people will refuse to use the Skyliner, owing to being uncomfortable with heights, etc. I can't imagine WDW limiting transportation to EP and DHS to just the Skyliner.
2. Bus routing seems to be dynamic. WDW wants to get as many people to the parks as quickly as possible, so buses get sent to where they are needed.
a. Many times I've been dropped at a park (during non-surge times or when "going against the flow") at a load/unload zone that was different than the resort I came from.
b. Replacing a bus unexpectedly taken out of service happens very quickly. I have seen this during surge times both for mechanical breakdown and bio spills.
c. The whole bus dispatch seems demand driven (save the initial load of the day). Lots of chatter on the dispatch radio net.
3. So, I think the amount of time a guest waits on a bus at a Skyliner resort will be the result of the number of guests using a bus to get to a Skyliner park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is speculation..
Not really.
This is correct.

GeneralKnowledge

I guess I should just skip these threads, because, all they do is annoy me no end. In the end, unless one of the posters is Bob Iger, all information is passed along some obscure route rendering all of it to having a very high degree of distortion by the time it hits these pages. So, I guess I will just back out of a lot of these discussion and let you folks grow your ulcers of insignificance over useless detail. The magic comes from not knowing that you are being fooled into things and just let them happen naturally. That is the way I have always viewed WDW, in particular, I never saw it until I was 35 years old back in 1983 so I don't have any distorted childhood memories of what it was like back then and I will continue to do that until I'm dead. Sometimes it is a major curse to know or think we know more then we need too.

With all due respect, I think you're right and you probably should skip these threads. The discussion seems to really bother you, moreso than I think the gondola sightline issues are bothering anyone else. As you've mentioned, it's certainly not ulcer worthy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is speculation.

1. Some people will refuse to use the Skyliner, owing to being uncomfortable with heights, etc. I can't imagine WDW limiting transportation to EP and DHS to just the Skyliner.
2. Bus routing seems to be dynamic. WDW wants to get as many people to the parks as quickly as possible, so buses get sent to where they are needed.
Fear of heights has been brought up a few times, but that doesn’t stop Disney from only offering the monorail to MK and EPCOT from the monorail resorts. There’s no regularly scheduled bus. From the looks of the system the gondola cars will not be much higher than the monorail and will be lower at some points. Fear of boats or drowning doesn’t stop Disney from only offering boat service to DHS and EPCOT from BC/YC and Boardwalk. In all of these cases guests could either choose to take a bus to another location and then transfer or they could drive their own car or now take a mini Uber ride. Of course they can also just choose another resort. There will be plenty without the gondola.

If there are operating issues with the gondolas there will be buses to serve those resorts just like when the monorail is down or thunderstorms ground the boats. We will have to wait to see how efficient the gondola load/unload process is but it seems like based on potential capacity the wait should be less than buses.

montyz81

Don't know and don't care, I was responding to the post that said the Contemporary wasn't visible and was hidden yet in plain.
It was me that you were responding to and what I meant by hidden in plain sight was the themeing was meant to fit in with a view from Tomorrowland and with the monorail going through it. My point was they spent time making sure it looked correct from inside the park. That attention is what I would have expected with Soarin and potentially with GotG. My hope is that they would have come up with a way to fit them in with the gondolas.

Last edited:

Creathir

Fear of heights has been brought up a few times, but that doesn’t stop Disney from only offering the monorail to MK and EPCOT from the monorail resorts. There’s no regularly scheduled bus. From the looks of the system the gondola cars will not be much higher than the monorail and will be lower at some points. Fear of boats or drowning doesn’t stop Disney from only offering boat service to DHS and EPCOT from BC/YC and Boardwalk. In all of these cases guests could either choose to take a bus to another location and then transfer or they could drive their own car or now take a mini Uber ride. Of course they can also just choose another resort. There will be plenty without the gondola.

If there are operating issues with the gondolas there will be buses to serve those resorts just like when the monorail is down or thunderstorms ground the boats. We will have to wait to see how efficient the gondola load/unload process is but it seems like based on potential capacity the wait should be less than buses.

I think (though I don’t personally suffer from this) the issue is the gondola system appears more unsteady than something like the monorail.

My wife will hop aboard a plane. No problem. Go in a tall building, no problem. Use a ladder, no problem. Hop on the monorail, no problem.

She won’t get on a Ferris wheel to save her life, though that would be a very odd set of circumstances. Similarly Tower of Terror is not something she will do willingly.

The gondola is the same thing.
For lack of a better way to describe it, it’s not a general fear of heights, more of a fear of perceived unsteady conveyance. She also gets nervous in elevators.

I think folks like her are going to have an issue with the Skyliner, but Disney will be Disney and find a way to get the guests to their destination. Might be free minivan rides. Might be a small shuttlebus. Might be a single regular bus being reinstated, but they won’t leave guests... pardon the pun, hanging high and dry.

I’m personally excited for this project, it’s grown on me since we found out about it, and look forward to riding it in the future.

Lensman

I think folks like her are going to have an issue with the Skyliner, but Disney will be Disney and find a way to get the guests to their destination. Might be free minivan rides. Might be a small shuttlebus. Might be a single regular bus being reinstated, but they won’t leave guests... pardon the pun, hanging high and dry.

I’m personally excited for this project, it’s grown on me since we found out about it, and look forward to riding it in the future.
I don't understand why so many people will be paying the exorbitant room rates Disney is going to charge for the Skyliner resorts once SW:GE and the gondola opens. Why choose to pay $100 more a night and then *not* ride the gondola? In that way it is like paying $200 extra for a monorail resort and not riding the monorail.

I do agree that more people will be afraid of riding the gondola than are currently afraid of riding the monorail. I just think they're more likely to move you to a different resort than arrange special transportation.

BTW, I don't think they'll leave guests hanging high and dry, but do I think guests might have to pay for their own Minnie Vans or use their own car.

Creathir

I don't understand why so many people will be paying the exorbitant room rates Disney is going to charge for the Skyliner resorts once SW:GE and the gondola opens. Why choose to pay $100 more a night and then *not* ride the gondola? In that way it is like paying $200 extra for a monorail resort and not riding the monorail.

I do agree that more people will be afraid of riding the gondola than are currently afraid of riding the monorail. I just think they're more likely to move you to a different resort than arrange special transportation.

BTW, I don't think they'll leave guests hanging high and dry, but do I think guests might have to pay for their own Minnie Vans or use their own car.

We’ll see! Only time will tell!

Biff215

I think (though I don’t personally suffer from this) the issue is the gondola system appears more unsteady than something like the monorail.

My wife will hop aboard a plane. No problem. Go in a tall building, no problem. Use a ladder, no problem. Hop on the monorail, no problem.

She won’t get on a Ferris wheel to save her life, though that would be a very odd set of circumstances. Similarly Tower of Terror is not something she will do willingly.

The gondola is the same thing.
For lack of a better way to describe it, it’s not a general fear of heights, more of a fear of perceived unsteady conveyance. She also gets nervous in elevators.

There will always be alternative transportation available by transferring by bus from park to park. I wouldn't count on any other options than that though, other than Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van/rental car at your own expense. Disney wouldn't be investing in this new system if it meant continuing to run the buses or any other type of transportation. The only exception will likely be when the gondolas are unavailable. Nothing is confirmed at this point, but I think it's a fair guess based on what is offered at other resorts offering non-bus transportation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom