News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

CTXRover

Another tower is up behind France. The one closest to the water and visible from inside the park is definitely painted green to blend in a bit more. (Picture taken outside park at International Gateway entrance)
20180427_151010.jpg

20180427_151038.jpg
20180427_151236.jpg

One from inside the park:
20180427_152355.jpg

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City

Creathir

So, when in Southern California you also don't go into or stand/walk/drive by any multi-story buildings, too?

There is a huge difference between a multistory building and dangling from a single cable with multiple support towers/points of failure...

Obviously I get on the monorail at DL, which would be just as prone, I know, but a gondola system in Southern CA is just a no go for me.

Creathir

If you are looking for it, at the top of the hill when walking into France you can spot the top of the new (gray) tower behind the Eiffel tower (look at the base of the eiffel tower). Otherwise, it is not visible in France
View attachment 280934View attachment 280936

From across the lagoon, if specifically looking you can also make at the top of the new (gray) tower behind France.

View attachment 280937View attachment 280938

What a fantastic post!

So glad the tower height is what it is!

Kudos to the imagineers (as usual) on an amazing job!

JoeCamel

If you are looking for it, at the top of the hill when walking into France you can spot the top of the new (gray) tower behind the Eiffel tower (look at the base of the eiffel tower). Otherwise, it is not visible in France
View attachment 280936

From across the lagoon, if specifically looking you can also make at the top of the new (gray) tower behind France.

I guess a few more chimney pots would take care of that nicely.

Lensman

There is a huge difference between a multistory building and dangling from a single cable with multiple support towers/points of failure...

Obviously I get on the monorail at DL, which would be just as prone, I know, but a gondola system in Southern CA is just a no go for me.
If it's any consolation to you, when one of the towers on Whistler's Excalibur gondola snapped in half in 2008 from "ice-jacking" in a splice, there were injuries but no deaths.

Also, I'm sure the towers will meet or exceed current California earthquake standards, which certainly can't be said for all buildings in California.

My intent is not to minimize any feelings, as it is natural to fear collapses from elevated structures during an earthquake. That said, I think the fact that the super-strong cable ties together all the tower structures actually provides additional safety to a gondola over a single structure. The idea being that the falling tower pulls down the cable, but the cable is still supported by the other towers. So the fall, though violent, is actually softer than it would otherwise be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Your risk-assessing skills are rather poor if you think multi-story buildings are significantly safer than gondolas in an earthquake.

Just like so many people think flying in a plane is riskier than being in a car.

Creathir

If it's any consolation to you, when one of the towers on Whistler's Excalibur gondola snapped in half in 2008 from "ice-jacking" in a splice, there were injuries but no deaths.

Also, I'm sure the towers will meet or exceed current California earthquake standards, which certainly can't be said for all buildings in California.

My intent is not to minimize any feelings, as it is natural to fear collapses from elevated structures during an earthquake. That said, I think the fact that the super-strong cable ties together all the tower structures actually provides additional safety to a gondola over a single structure. The idea being that the falling tower pulls down the cable, but the cable is still supported by the other towers. So the fall, though violent, is actually softer than it would otherwise be.
Very true. Had not thought about it from that standpoint. Makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom