News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

I like it. It's cool and distinctive, but not cool enough to ruin the appeal of the monorails. The hotels getting coverage should be able to scale up thousands of rooms and this will make them that much more attractive. This will allow Disney to properly compete with mid tier Universal Hotels. This particular amenity is great and unusual.

With that said, International Gateway may need to be looked at depending on the scale of the system. If it connects with Art of Animation/Pop it may need a redesign just for capacity.

This is a much better way to get to the parks.

Edit: Disney has also been on a green push. This would reduce their carbon emissions by moving more to electric transportation. RCID already is nuclear and solar heavy as I recall, so this would fit into the plan.
Not real happy with the International Gateway stop. That was a semi-exclusive entrance / exit to pretty exclusive resorts. These folks are not going to appreciate the mobs of cheerleaders, dancers, etc. coming from economy resorts and clogging up the process. And once again, to hell with sight lines. This isn’t going to be pretty. Just got back from WDW and the place is a mess. And these lines will destroy some views for those awesome pictures we all like to take. Each gondola only holds 8. How much is this really going to help bring the mobs into the already overcrowded parks? It would have been much better to just expand the monorail.

cosmicgirl

Not real happy with the International Gateway stop. That was a semi-exclusive entrance / exit to pretty exclusive resorts. These folks are not going to appreciate the mobs of cheerleaders, dancers, etc. coming from economy resorts and clogging up the process. And once again, to hell with sight lines. This isn’t going to be pretty. Just got back from WDW and the place is a mess. And these lines will destroy some views for those awesome pictures we all like to take. Each gondola only holds 8. How much is this really going to help bring the mobs into the already overcrowded parks? It would have been much better to just expand the monorail.
So you're opposed to "economy people" using a business class entrance, but not opposed to them using the first class monorail...?
And here I was thinking the Titanic sank in 1912.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

4000-5000 guests per hour in each direction on each line will do a lot.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The concerns about the IG are well founded. There are what -- 4 mickey head stations there?

How long will it take to pass several hundred to a thousand or so guests at opening, and what will the closing crowds look like?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The concerns about the IG are well founded. There are what -- 4 mickey head stations there?

How long will it take to pass several hundred to a thousand or so guests at opening, and what will the closing crowds look like?

So, you're saying the WDW is going to let there be a back-up at the tapstiles such that people can't even get off the gondola because there's nowhere to go and the problem of 4 tapstiles is unfixable?

Is that what you're saying?

nickys

Premium Member

And we already know they are expanding the entrance way to cater for this. And that security is not an issue there because the gondola will be within the secure zone.

So the concerns were well founded, but have not been so for quite some time.

ABQ

That's interesting, though I don't want to derail the thread. Having worked right next to James Hook and Fish along Atlantic Ave, I know that getting out to the seaport is a bear with the Silver Line being a pretty terribly option. Still, though obviously in ski country usage, gondolas are a proven option, I do wonder how they would work with serious salty windswept air hammering them all winter.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, March 1, 2018. View of the four installed gondola towers from Caribbean Beach Resort's road bridge at Sea Breeze Drive. The fourth tower, circled in red, is partially hidden by trees. The two cranes on the left are near the Pop Century gondola station at Hour Glass lake. The Caribbean Beach Resort station is just to the right of this photo. As shown in this photo, the gondolas will be just above the tree tops along this section.

IMG_0273.JPG

This view is the pathway the gondola will take from Caribbean Beach Resort towards Hollywood Studios. The photo was taken from Victory Way looking west. Besides removing all trees and undergrowth, a gravel path appears under the gondola pathway, with new sod placed on either side.

IMG_0252.JPG

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, you're saying the WDW is going to let there be a back-up at the tapstiles such that people can't even get off the gondola because there's nowhere to go and the problem of 4 tapstiles is unfixable?

Is that what you're saying?

And we already know they are expanding the entrance way to cater for this. And that security is not an issue there because the gondola will be within the secure zone.

So the concerns were well founded, but have not been so for quite some time.
I'll be waiting to see the updated photos of IG with the expanded crowd area and additional tapstiles. But I won't be holding my breath.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'll be waiting to see the updated photos of IG with the expanded crowd area and additional tapstiles. But I won't be holding my breath.
Not sure what your reservation is here. The folks coming off the Gondolas won't have to go through security, only the tapstiles. They will have a new entrance and expanded entrance. Yes, there will be more people coming through the IG then today but its not like they are not changing a thing once its installed and operational. Trust me, the last thing WDW wants is people stuck outside the gates having to wait crazy times to get in the park.

...it's a yungle

Not sure what your reservation is here. The folks coming off the Gondolas won't have to go through security, only the tapstiles. They will have a new entrance and expanded entrance. Yes, there will be more people coming through the IG then today but its not like they are not changing a thing once its installed and operational. Trust me, the last thing WDW wants is people stuck outside the gates having to wait crazy times to get in the park.
And, having to wait to separate a few more dollars from them😏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom