News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

raymusiccity

you were told by a cm that the gondola system is expected to be operational in four months?!
We just received this e-mail about our upcoming stay at Pop Century. It will still be under construction on June 16th!

"
February 2018

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's Pop Century Resort!
Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on creating a new transportation system, Disney Skyliner, which will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World® Resort while traveling via gondolas. This transportation system will connect future Guests of Disney's Pop Century Resort with Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, the International Gateway at Epcot® and other Resorts.
While we work our magic, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available to you, including our dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that you may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am. We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.
If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-939-7805 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).
General Manager Jeff Korte and the team at Disney's Pop Century Resort look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC"

smile

We just received this e-mail about our upcoming stay at Pop Century. It will still be under construction on June 16th!

"
February 2018

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us at Disney's Pop Century Resort!
Walt Disney once spoke of how his creations would never be complete as long as there is imagination left in the world. It is in this spirit that we have embarked on creating a new transportation system, Disney Skyliner, which will give Guests a bird’s-eye view of Walt Disney World® Resort while traveling via gondolas. This transportation system will connect future Guests of Disney's Pop Century Resort with Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, the International Gateway at Epcot® and other Resorts.
While we work our magic, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available to you, including our dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that you may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from your Guest room between dusk and 9:00am. We apologize for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.
If you have questions or need assistance prior to your arrival, please call the Disney Reservation Center at 407-939-7805 between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm (ET).
General Manager Jeff Korte and the team at Disney's Pop Century Resort look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC"

for last minute touch-ups, of course!
under such a rush i'm amazed they're not working between dusk and 9:A
:eek:

here's a perfect opportunity to book for the end of june before outsiders catch wind and the great skyliner booking rush ensues - cast members are standing by, act now!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I was at POP last year when they first started work on the Gondola Station, heard nothing, didn't even hear any noise from the room renovations. I also got an email to similar effect as well.

cosmicgirl

Thanks for these.

Can't quite believe how fast the Riviera resort is going up. For so long it just looked like a building site, now it's actual buildings.
Indeed! It wasn't too long ago that we were trying to guess its footprint et voilà, there it is!
The CSR tower seems to be going up even faster. It has reached the point where El Centro just fades away next to it and they're only about halfway up.

Gondola-wise I'm wondering why the foundations for the Boardwalk bend look so different from the Riviera one. There won't be a station, obviously, but the foundations look like an oddly shaped bend plus a rectangle now. Any ideas?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971... with the gondola station going in, it seems like there's not much of a footprint left in the UK for an attraction. Do you know how much space will be used?
There’s plenty of space. The new station is only using space previously used by the tram turnaround and berm behind it. Technically it doesn’t even touch the backstage bus road (although the road system is being rationalised)

SteveAZee

There’s plenty of space. The new station is only using space previously used by the tram turnaround and berm behind it. Technically it doesn’t even touch the backstage bus road (although the road system is being rationalised)
Thanks. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how much they're currently planning on using, footprint-wise... 1/2 acre, 2 acres... just trying to get a sense of how big or small they're thinking they can use for the new attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how much they're currently planning on using, footprint-wise... 1/2 acre, 2 acres... just trying to get a sense of how big or small they're thinking they can use for the new attraction.
A typically vague but accurate hand drawn iPad sketch of the footprint:

B3D27096-9526-4425-B2F4-BFBD58F5C6B6.jpeg

amjt660

Premium Member
Marni
I have walked past the tram turnaround a few times and never realized why it was there
Please give me some history on it
Was it to the boardwalk hotels and back?
When was it used?
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
Max

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
although the road system is being rationalised

"Rationalise?" Why are they trying to justify the existence of a road? <goes to dictionary> Oh... Thanks to this, I just learned a usage of 'rationalise' I never knew existed (it seems to be more a Britishism, meaning to 'straighten out in an orderly way')!

There's a lot of things at WDW that need to be rationalised, and not the way the Pixie Dusters do it!

Minthorne

Marni
I have walked past the tram turnaround a few times and never realized why it was there
When was it used?

Thanks
Max

I don't know the old details but I remember this https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...-epcot's-international-gateway-demolished.htm

and found this

http://mightymenofmouse.blogspot.com/2012/05/1992-tram-from-epcots-international_30.html

cosmicgirl

Marni
When was it used?

Thanks
Max
I was wondering the same thing and ended up here:

Next video in line:
Coincidence? ;)

nickys

Premium Member
Marni
When was it used?

Thanks
Max

The tram ran between Swan & Dolphin and YC/BC and The IG along crescent lake.

I remember stumbling across it in 1992 and hopping on it. It's like the tourist trams that run in towns and resorts in the UK and Europe. Been on several. Pity they got rid of it.

I was wondering the same thing and ended up here:

Next video in line:
Coincidence? ;)

Hah! Great minds think alike. I googled it and found the same ones. Now to go watch them .....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom