News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

gsansone

I hope I never have to travel in a cable car. The way stuff breaks down at WDW all I can see is me packed into a car, stuck hanging for 2 hours. No thanks.

What we know, based on inform from @MisterPenguin

• This is verified by around 5 insiders, permits, the beginning of construction, and documents obtained by the Orlando Sentinel. [confirmed at D23 2017]

• It will connect POP/AoA and Caribbean with DHS/Epcot. And likely raise the prices there.

• Possible I.D. of the gondola make and model here.

• Can gondolas handle wheelchairs, strollers, and EVC? Yes, here.

• Will it be installed in other places? No plans right now, but, always a possibility if it works out well.

• All the gondola stations will be ground level with a steep incline coming in/out [here]

• gondolas stations will be themed to nearby architecture: International Gateway will be Parisian; DHS will be Art Deco; AoA/Pop will be a Wave (near Little Mermaid); CBR Stations will be regal and stoney (which is which isn't confirmed). [here]

• gondolas will be 8 person cabins from Doppelmayr, have a through-put of 5,000 people per hour, have wi-fi, and ample passive ventilation [here]

• It has been reported that the gondola's will NOT have air conditioning, but there is extensive discussion that this should not be an issue.

This has been discussed in other threads but it is time for it to have it's own thread.

Recent permits related to Caribbean Beach Resort and DHS seem to indicate that a new transportation system between CBR, DHS, Epcot and possible AOA might be in the works.

The CBR permit showed these two new structures which by themselves don't look to interesting.

View attachment 189658

A DHS permit this week shows two more new structure around DHS, as well as a construction access road which is not shown here.

View attachment 189659

The shapes, location, and orientation of these structure form a interesting pattern that may not be coincidental. Thanks to @P_Radden for this map.

Based on this information a gondola/skyride system of some sort looks like a possibility.

View attachment 189660

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, January 9, 2018. Probable location for the gondola station next to the Riviera Resort. This equipment has been noted at other gondola station sites. Photo taken from the Caribbean Beach Resort Aruba building 56.

IMG_0065.JPG

From this gondola station, the skylift will transit west along Buena Vista Drive, and apparently very close to Aruba building 56. At the parking lot turn-around, these trees are being removed in anticipation of the skylift passing over or near this area. The cars in the background are on Buena Vista Drive.

IMG_0066.JPG

Last edited:

TomHendricks

From this gondola station, the skylift will transit west along Buena Vista Drive, and apparently very close to Aruba building 56. At the parking lot turn-around, these trees are being removed in anticipation of the skylift passing over or near this area. The cars in the background are on Buena Vista Drive.

View attachment 255450

Did someone gnaw those trees down?

...it's a yungle

I’m betting many cm’s wished they had that machine at their disposal for those “challenging” guest moments.
However, I believe the machine which chewed the Skyliner trees, was one of three headed to SW:GE. They’ll be evenly dispersed, Star Wars’d out to look like an AT-AT cousin and be used to discourage those climbing on droids and motivate guests to move to TSL for the next herd to enter...😏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom