News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

allgiggles

The MK monorail resorts only have the option of taking the monorail to Epcot, correct (other than taking a bus to a different park and then transferring by bus or boat to Epcot)?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Goofyernmost

It means this has been discussed before in this thread, several times.

Surely WDW would never discontinue buses from those resorts to Epcot and DHS... I can't conceive of it!

Surely WDW wouldn't allow a transportation system that doesn't have A/C... I can't conceive of it!

Surely WDW wouldn't allow us to see the backstage of Epcot... I can't conceive of it!

Surely WDW wouldn't put us in danger of lightning strikes... I can't conceive of it.

And repeat.
The first one isn't even closely related to the rest of them. And it has been on ongoing discussion that has no definite answer. Someone mentioned it and I expressed my opinion. Sorry if that offends the sensibilities of those that know everything. The gondolas are an exciting and very Disney like addition to the property, but, they are not the complete answer to the transportation needs. So, I will wait and see what they do to overcome the problems that I foresee with that one size fits all daydream and you can get back to me on it. I cannot physically conceive children, yet, I have two of them. All I could do was assist. Funny how that works.

And despite the fact it's happening, and all those concerns get answered, we continue to get the same exact "Surely they wouldn't....!" again.

Unlike others who jumped into this thread late and didn't read it all... you've been following this thread... so, why are you bringing up the buses again? You want to rehash everything you said about them on May 7?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
What do you mean... here we go again? When did it stop! Besides common sense will dictate that it cannot be abandoned completely. The gondola will feed it's own crowd out of curiosity and, in my case, it just looks like fun. But there will always be a group that cannot use it and there has to be an alternative whether you can see and understand that or not. However, I was expressing my opinion.. what say we wait until it is an actuality and see what they do. Otherwise we are just tossing "stuff" at the wall and seeing what sticks.

How often would you expect buses to run on the gondola routes?

Goofyernmost

How often would you expect buses to run on the gondola routes?
How would I know? That doesn't mean that they won't. Gondolas are not Monorails or boats. They will have a number of people that are not going to want to be in a gondola. If they don't have regular buses they will have on call transportation available or combined resort buses, in my opinion. Having only one option, to borrow a phrase from NASA, is not an option. They cannot leave people stranded. They will cut down a huge amount on Bus demand, but, I don't see it as totally eliminated. Don't forget that when WDW opened there were no Ferry's. The expected the Monorails to take everyone. That didn't work, for perhaps different reasons, but, it didn't work well enough to not require an alternative.

lazyboy97o

How would I know? That doesn't mean that they won't. Gondolas are not Monorails or boats. They will have a number of people that are not going to want to be in a gondola. If they don't have regular buses they will have on call transportation available or combined resort buses, in my opinion. Having only one option, to borrow a phrase from NASA, is not an option. They cannot leave people stranded. They will cut down a huge amount on Bus demand, but, I don't see it as totally eliminated. Don't forget that when WDW opened there were no Ferry's. The expected the Monorails to take everyone. That didn't work, for perhaps different reasons, but, it didn't work well enough to not require an alternative.
Then those people can make alternative accommodations for lodging or use another transportation service.

Biff215

But there is always an alternative available. Transfer to a park that does have a bus and go from there. If someone really wants to avoid the gondola, that is a fair alternative IMO.

Either way, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see what actually happens.

Goofyernmost

But there is always an alternative available. Transfer to a park that does have a bus and go from there. If someone really wants to avoid the gondola, that is a fair alternative IMO.

Either way, we'll have to wait a couple of years to see what actually happens.
I believe I already mentioned that option, but, it would not make those people very happy.

peter11435

I believe I already mentioned that option, but, it would not make those people very happy.
I guess lots of people will not be very happy then.

There are plenty of Disney resorts that already offer only one mode of transport to certain destinations. This is nothing new. There are people who won't ride boats or monorails either. Those people can stay somewhere else, transfer at another destination, call a taxi, or use the Minnie vans.

Kman101

Lots of things don't make people very happy, including a fear of gondolas, but that doesn't mean Disney should have to address every little personal issue. They simply wouldn't be building gondolas if it wasn't to save money and traffic on their roads.

It doesn't have to be fear of heights. Guests are creatures of habit and conditioned to busses. And it's too bad if people are sick of the same discussion. There's nothing new to discuss.

Maeryk

There are plenty of Disney resorts that already offer only one mode of transport to certain destinations. This is nothing new. There are people who won't ride boats or monorails either. Those people can stay somewhere else, transfer at another destination, call a taxi, or use the Minnie vans.

all of those resorts specifically are bus only. If you have a problem with wheeled vehicles, you aren't getting to the World in the first place. The biggest concern, vis a vis monorial or gondola, is if the system goes down. Unlike a bus (or even a boat) system, where you can simply swap out vehicles, if there's a failure in one component, the whole thing stops. For that reason, I suspect there will be backup bus service if/when necessary. There might not be a bus leaving every 20 minutes all day, but I'll wager you will still see them at peak crowd times.. park open/close, and during the holidays when the resorts are at or near capacity.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It doesn't have to be fear of heights. Guests are creatures of habit and conditioned to busses. And it's too bad if people are sick of the same discussion. There's nothing new to discuss.

... and this will be one of the problems with offering buses, especially when the gondola first opens. If you offer buses people will use them out of habit even when they have no good reason not to use the gondolas. It's clearly not to Disney benefit that people uses the buses when gondolas are an option.

Kman101

And yes we have been down this road before lol. But you truly don't think they'll reverse any decision of guests whine loudly enough? Of course they will. They're not going to shrug and say sorry and do what you're suggesting. They cater to those who whine and complain they aren't going to tell a guest sorry move to another resort.

peter11435

all of those resorts specifically are bus only. If you have a problem with wheeled vehicles, you aren't getting to the World in the first place. The biggest concern, vis a vis monorial or gondola, is if the system goes down. Unlike a bus (or even a boat) system, where you can simply swap out vehicles, if there's a failure in one component, the whole thing stops. For that reason, I suspect there will be backup bus service if/when necessary. There might not be a bus leaving every 20 minutes all day, but I'll wager you will still see them at peak crowd times.. park open/close, and during the holidays when the resorts are at or near capacity.
They are not all bus only. The magic kingdom resorts have no option other than monorail to get to Epcot. The Epcot resorts have no option outside of a very long walk to get to DHS. So if guests have issues with either of those modes of transportation they will have issues at those resorts.

Obviously bus service could and would be utilized as a back up. But that's different from being a daily offering.

Kman101

... and this will be one of the problems with offering buses, especially when the gondola first opens. If you offer buses people will use them out of habit even when they have no good reason not to use the gondolas. It's clearly not to Disney benefit that people uses the buses when gondolas are an option.

Agreed. Sorry I brought busses back into the discussion but I just know how guests at WDW behave lol. And they cave into guests. They don't stand their ground so I was just musing about them reveresing the bus decision. Sorry to get some folks riled up over repeat discussion LOL. I agree they need to have no bus service when the gondolas open but I just see them having trouble changing guests habits. Not trying to look for silly problems or anything like the AC discussion ....

peter11435

And yes we have been down this road before lol. But you truly don't think they'll reverse any decision of guests whine loudly enough? Of course they will. They're not going to shrug and say sorry and do what you're suggesting. They cater to those who whine and complain they aren't going to tell a guest sorry move to another resort.
Decisions could certainly be reversed. I doubt they would be in this case just like they still don't offer direct daily water park service any more despite complaints. But yes, plans could change but at this time they do not plan on running buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom