News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So... something I don't get is the mid-way station between Epcot and the new Riviera Resort. Why isn't it placed further north (e.g. right by the Boardwalk entrance, on the northern side of that road/cross), in order to make more of a straight line and shorten the travel distance?

JelkXgH.png

Could be a couple reasons. The new location keeps it further away from the back stage of Epcot which will help with less then attractive views. It also runs it along the road which will be helpful in case of an emergency and also allows the land in that area to be used for something else that might not work if there is a gondola overhead.

Madame Medusa

LJnluAS.jpg

Looking at the image again it is very odd that they used both classic and new style Mickey and Minnie. Very very odd and it ruins the illusion, so they should pick one or the other. I actually think the new style looks better and fresh. Those particular drawings of the classic look like something straight out of the 90s.

I'm excited to see what other characters are included though. LOVE the hitchhiking ghosts gondola.

allgiggles

No different than what monorail resort guests already have to do when traveling to Epcot.

Yes, and I don't like doing it there, either. :) After a long day at the parks, I just like to get in/on my mode of transportation and not have to get up again until I've reached my final destination (and I don't want to drive my own vehicle). It will be fine...I won't *like* it, but it will be fine.

NeXuS1000

Could be a couple reasons. The new location keeps it further away from the back stage of Epcot which will help with less then attractive views. It also runs it along the road which will be helpful in case of an emergency and also allows the land in that area to be used for something else that might not work if there is a gondola overhead.

Good points. Although I don't know how attractive a view the BoardWalk parking lot is :p Buuut probably better than usually completely hidden and ugly backstage :)

If the France expansion is located as speculated, that would cover up the worst views from the faster route I drew, wouldn't it though?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Good points. Although I don't know how attractive a view the BoardWalk parking lot is :p Buuut probably better than usually completely hidden and ugly backstage :)

If the France expansion is located as speculated, that would cover up the worst views from the faster route I drew, wouldn't it though?

Yes, the gondola gets close to back stage right around France so the changes there will solve that problem. Other then that the gondola doesn't get near any other backstage areas.

...it's a yungle

For all the doom and gloom delicate flowers...stick with the enviro friendly bus, please. More room on the Skyliner for those who love this transportation project. But, if you do "dare" to experience the Skyliner, yet have a concern of wilting before falling, Disney has you covered.

For a nominal fee, they will offer an insurance package:

1) A hand held, themed, misting fan
2) A triple layer, complete head to toe, body bubble wrap
3) A motorcycle helmet, and
4) A "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" necklace button

:rolleyes:

allgiggles

There can be quite a few cars on each line. Probably see one dispatch every 30 seconds or so. Based on earlier discussion it appears that 12 - 15 mph is common for these, so each leg of the trip would be under 5 minutes. So depending on wait times this would be comparable to buses even with have to transfer at the CBR station. You say the bus trip is 10 minutes, but how long on average to you wait for a bus? The wait on these could be much less.

I can't remember how ECV's will be handled. Will the entire system have to slow/down stop or do I remember reading that the system will have the capability for a car to be pulled aside while loading an ECV and then go back into rotation once loaded?

philly97flyer

LJnluAS.jpg

Looking at the image again it is very odd that they used both classic and new style Mickey and Minnie. Very very odd and it ruins the illusion, so they should pick one or the other. I actually think the new style looks better and fresh. Those particular drawings of the classic look like something straight out of the 90s.

I'm excited to see what other characters are included though. LOVE the hitchhiking ghosts gondola.
The classic style Mickey and Minnie is probably to plug the new Mickey ride at DHS.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't remember how ECV's will be handled. Will the entire system have to slow/down stop or do I remember reading that the system will have the capability for a car to be pulled aside while loading an ECV and then go back into rotation once loaded?

Gondola slow in the station and come up to a level loading platform so an ECV can roll right in. There are videos out there of wheelchairs loading like this. I also believe there is a way to pull a car off the line for loading if necessary. These systems are designed not to have to stop for loading.

cosmicgirl

So... something I don't get is the mid-way station between Epcot and the new Riviera Resort. Why isn't it placed further north (e.g. right by the Boardwalk entrance, on the northern side of that road/cross), in order to make more of a straight line and shorten the travel distance?

JelkXgH.png

I agree with danlb_2000's points and would add that the chosen location could be better if a future expansion to CSR is ever considered, especially if the Swolphin tower were to be built. You can draw a straight line from the chosen elbow to the section of CSR's Cabanas that was demolished, i.e. where the new tower will be.

Lift Blog

From my update on Lift Blog:
I’m told Disney is working with Doppelmayr to achieve the highest possible throughput using 8-passenger cabins, not Omega 10s as rumored. While the current record is 4,500 pph at Sölden (https://liftblog.com/2016/06/09/soelden-announces-record-breaking-giggijochbahn/) capacity for the WDW gondolas could reach over 5,000 pphpd. Cabins will have wi-fi and ample passive ventilation.

Again, my sincere thanks to @danlb_2000 and others who pieced this news together in February.

tirian

Regarding concerns about the heat, remember this will be a very quick ride. We are talking just a few minutes. If you can't handle the heat on that type of trip, you have no chance surviving all day in the parks.
As a native southern Floridian, I'll chime in that it shouldn't be bad as long as the windows are wide open to allow breeze (like the Peoplemover), and it isn't raining, and it isn't over-crowded. There's a huge difference between walking through the parks and being trapped in a plexiglass cage.

But if there's adequate airflow, this will be like another Peoplemover or the original Skyway at the MK, and it will be quite pleasant.

allgiggles

Gondola slow in the station and come up to a level loading platform so an ECV can roll right in. There are videos out there of wheelchairs loading like this. I also believe there is a way to pull a car off the line for loading if necessary. These systems are designed not to have to stop for loading.

That's what I was thinking...I believe I watched a few of the videos. I'm guessing ECV's/Wheelchairs won't need to be tied down like they are in the buses. It will be more like the monorail where they can just roll in and go.

Bairstow

Regarding concerns about the heat, remember this will be a very quick ride. We are talking just a few minutes. If you can't handle the heat on that type of trip, you have no chance surviving all day in the parks.

Or for that matter, waiting in the uncovered bus queues at some of these resorts.
Miserable.

e0113051105fd047289ddd3caf0d92be.jpg

Won't the heaviest usage of these things be during the morning and evening anyway, when the heat isn't the worst?

mm121

They don't ban by drop offs. They don't let uber drivers idle on property and they make pickups difficult.

Uber also can geofence areas they won't allow usage.

rather than banning drop offs, disney could make restricted drop off/pickup zones, only allowing ubers in those specific areas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom