News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Incomudro

I know that some of you youngin's are going to be shocked by this, but, there was a time, not all that long ago when cars didn't have air conditioning. Yes, they were hot when stopped but, the only way we could travel was to ride in those vehicles for hours on end. We didn't die from it, slightly uncomfortable, sure, but unless your parents were like mine and put clear plastic seat covers on the bench car seats, it was doable without having to pry you legs off the plastic after sitting there for any length of time.

I don't know what they are going to do, but, I doubt it will be any hotter in there then any other form of transportation that is broken down. I went to Florida in 1962 in the back of a pickup camper in mid-july. No AC, a couple of Jalousie windows on one side and only a 6 inch stationary fan usable just when plugged into a 110 volt outlet. None of those went along with us on the highway. We survived hours on end. A few minute ride is going to be OK, for the weak of strength currently exhibited by the last two generations. Tough it out and you will have stories to tell your grandchildren.

I'll be 54 in September, and on a hot and humid day, it was hot in the car when the car moved too.
Hot and humid with a breeze is still hot and humid.
And gondolas don't move at highway traffic speed.
I grew up in a house without AC, and wa often in cars without AC.
I don't forget how miserable it was.

Incomudro

That's why they shut down WDW in the summer since there is no way to air condition the hot and muggy air outside all the buildings. And in all the outside queues. And all the outside dining facilities. And in the the ferry boats. And in the monorail stations. And at the bus stops.

An outdoor cue, seating area and even boat are not the same as a Gondola.
Only the boat comes a bit close, as it is a partially enclosed transportation device.
Some of the feeling of being hot and uncomfortable is psychological and can be exasperated by confinement.
One can easily move from the outdoor seating, or bail out of a cue line if things got unbearable.
Try that on a gondola with screaming kids next to you, possibly repeatedly banging into, stroller hitting your legs, coupled with the possibility of guests of extraordinary square footage - or those of less than shower fresh fragrance crushing up against you.
Now add an unscheduled stop in the gondola travel due to whatever reason...

lazyboy97o

An outdoor cue, seating area and even boat are not the same as a Gondola.
Only the boat comes a bit close, as it is a partially enclosed transportation device.
Some of the feeling of being hot and uncomfortable is psychological and can be exasperated by confinement.
One can easily move from the outdoor seating, or bail out of a cue line if things got unbearable.
Try that on a gondola with screaming kids next to you, possibly repeatedly banging into, stroller hitting your legs, coupled with the possibility of guests of extraordinary square footage - or those of less than shower fresh fragrance crushing up against you.
Now add an unscheduled stop in the gondola travel due to whatever reason...
Then design a better system and sell it to Doppelmayr.

Incomudro

Then design a better system and sell it to Doppelmayr.

I didn't say I have a better design.

I would replace the term "very sufficient" when it comes to forced muggy Florida air to "marginally less miserable."
I know that there's no way my wife would get into a gondola that doesn't have A/C.

lazyboy97o

I didn't say I have a better design.

I would replace the term "very sufficient" when it comes to forced muggy Florida air to "marginally less miserable."
I know that there's no way my wife would get into a gondola that doesn't have A/C.
As has been said repeatedly, gondolas are not new to Florida’s climate type.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, back to the station design... even tho' everyone says they're "ground level," it's a common practice to put the load stations at least a half-story above ground level to avoid having gondolas smack nearby pedestrians in the head. Has anyone seen the drawings for the stations and can confirm that there won't be stairs or ramps up to the load platform?
I will confirm. Give or take a foot.

truecoat

I'll be 54 in September, and on a hot and humid day, it was hot in the car when the car moved too.
Hot and humid with a breeze is still hot and humid.
And gondolas don't move at highway traffic speed.
I grew up in a house without AC, and wa often in cars without AC.
I don't forget how miserable it was.

These arguments remind me of a trip to New York I chaperoned. We needed to use the subway for one of our trips and you'd have thought we were putting the kids on a rocket to the moon. What happens if someone get's left behind or gets off on the wrong stop. Ended up being a non issue just like I thought.

No one will be talking about the temps in the gondolas after opening. It will be another non issue.

GCTales

That's why they shut down WDW in the summer since there is no way to air condition the hot and muggy air outside all the buildings. And in all the outside queues. And all the outside dining facilities. And in the the ferry boats. And in the monorail stations. And at the bus stops.

You forgot about the magic dome Disney puts over the parks when the weather gets really bad.... ⚡⚡️⛈⛈. Come on! I would expect you would know about the Magic Dome!!!!!

GCTales

Here's a fly through of the gondola stations and upcoming building projects, confirmed and unconfirmed:

Click on the gear to speed it up if it's moving too slowly for y'all.

First time is have seen thr proposed, confirmed, and rumored changed together....

Question @MisterPenguin- where did you get the shape of the tower at CBR? Is that the footprint on the permits?

GCTales

Here's a fly through of the gondola stations and upcoming building projects, confirmed and unconfirmed:

Click on the gear to speed it up if it's moving too slowly for y'all.

My wife said it was really neat. And thank you.. But where is the audio track? How can you have a 4min video without an audio track? That is NOT goody good??

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
First time is have seen thr proposed, confirmed, and rumored changed together....

Question @MisterPenguin- where did you get the shape of the tower at CBR? Is that the footprint on the permits?

Yeah, it's the footprint on the permit. For all I know, it's the shape of the pool! :)

My wife said it was really neat. And thank you.. But where is the audio track? How can you have a 4min video without an audio track? That is NOT goody good??

Sorry, the insanely loud techno YouTube music button was broken. Hum to yourself "I Can Fly." :D

Incomudro

These arguments remind me of a trip to New York I chaperoned. We needed to use the subway for one of our trips and you'd have thought we were putting the kids on a rocket to the moon. What happens if someone get's left behind or gets off on the wrong stop. Ended up being a non issue just like I thought.

No one will be talking about the temps in the gondolas after opening. It will be another non issue.

I have been a New Yorker for 51 of my 53 - soon to be 54 years.
I've ridden the SI Ferry for 30 of those years.
Coworkers of mine who never rode the Ferry used to say to me; "It must be nice in the summer..."
No.
95 degrees, hazy hot and humid - is 95 degrees hazy, hot and humid with a breeze.
Miserable and oppressive with a breeze.

Incomudro

As has been said repeatedly, gondolas are not new to Florida’s climate type.

Yes, but they are new to Disney World.
A place that is often jammed packed with tourists on a long day, waiting on long lines often with kids in tow, or in close proximity to other peoples kids.

JoeCamel

Yes, but they are new to Disney World.
A place that is often jammed packed with tourists on a long day, waiting on long lines often with kids in tow, or in close proximity to other peoples kids.
Then feel free to rent a car or take an UBER. The AC discussion was pages ago and pages ago before that and pages ago before that again. They will NOT have AC - accept and move on!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom