News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

peter11435

Do we know if this gondola system has a name yet? Whether an official or unofficial name? (sorry if this has been touched upon, I've read through 100 pages leaving 80+ unread....) The reason is I heard it called something (second hand) by an imagineer, for whatever that's worth.
It has a name.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The names not been publically released yet.

It's an obvious one and already currently used by the company elsewhere.

MiddKid

I used to work at ski resorts and I have actually seen gondolas right out to a 45 to 90 degree angle from straight. And that wasn't even near hurricane winds.

That's funny. And not true. If gondolas were to swing out to 90 degree angles there would tons of "terrifying gondola" videos on YouTube and pics online. We'll wait for you to provide those...

As LiftBlog mentioned, maybe 15 degrees at most.

Oh wait, I found a pic!
funwheelswingin.jpg

I heard one from a friend, who has an acquaintance who is an Imagineer (I know, I know...he said she said). The Imagineer referred to it as The Disney Skyliner. Now whether thats the name or just what they referred to it as informally, I guess we will see right?

Goofyernmost

I think it's safe to say the gondola will not be operating in a hurricane.
Of course not... but there a multiple wind speed working up to hurricane and gondolas are vulnerable to all forces of wind. I'm not saying unsafe but certainly dis-concerning for a number of people.

Goofyernmost

That's funny. And not true. If gondolas were to swing out to 90 degree angles there would tons of "terrifying gondola" videos on YouTube and pics online. We'll wait for you to provide those...

As LiftBlog mentioned, maybe 15 degrees at most.

Oh wait, I found a pic!
View attachment 203665
No problem, just a minor difference in what you think and what I have seen. Let's leave it at that. I didn't have a degree of lean measuring device on me that day. The point was that the shift in position between the lower part of a pendulum and the top makes a substantial difference in how human would react to it.

Goofyernmost

I find that unlikely. Code requires gondolas to have 15 degree swing clearance laterally and longitudinally at towers. The truth is modern gondolas provide an extremely smooth ride, generally with only a few degrees of swinging and much lower forces than you'd experience in a car. These are not thrill rides. They are transportation systems and safe/smooth ones at that.
I don't know why I bother, but, any amount of unexpected movement will cause anxiety in many people. How far they swing is of little consequence. We were talking about why it will be necessary to have an alternative method of transport, not necessarily a rational one.

Blueliner

Irrespective of the degree of swing, I do think there is risk that some folks might suffer mild motion sickness on the gondolas. We took a family ski trip to Breckenridge in late March. While there, we rode the BreckConnect Gondola up to Peak 8. There was no wind to speak of, but the gondola did sway as it was making its way through two turning stations. My 14 year old got little queasy on the ride due to the swaying motion of the gondola. It was nothing that ruined his day or anything like that, but it's something I was not expecting.

Side note: Disney vacations are expensive to be sure, but I am still reeling from the price of lift tickets! Also note that quick service meal prices at the top of a mountain might actually exceed those in the Disney parks. It was still a really fun trip, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom