News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

peter11435

I must be substantially misunderstanding the route this gondola system is expected to take.

You're telling me a ride from Pop/AOA would be shorter than a ferry boat ride across the MK?
The overall ride from pop to Epcot will be longer: but each leg of the journey will be shorter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I must be substantially misunderstanding the route this gondola system is expected to take.

You're telling me a ride from Pop/AOA would be shorter than a ferry boat ride across the MK?
The ferry takes about 5 minutes to cross the lake but that's just sailing time. It takes some time to dock and undock the boats plus load and unload. It isn't uncommon to take 15 to 20 minutes between when you actually board and when you get off unless you get lucky and you are the last on and first off.

drizgirl

The ferry takes about 5 minutes to cross the lake but that's just sailing time. It takes some time to dock and undock the boats plus load and unload. It isn't uncommon to take 15 to 20 minutes between when you actually board and when you get off unless you get lucky and you are the last on and first off.

Will there not be lines and waiting time to load on a gondola? Are we going to include boarding times on one but not the other?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Will there not be lines and waiting time to load on a gondola? Are we going to include boarding times on one but not the other?
It loads continuously. You don't have to board and then wait for 500+ people to get on after you. If you are talking about time spent in the actual ride vehicle then no there's really no waiting unless there's an emergency stop.

peter11435

For overall transit times absolutely. But the conversation was about AC. Or lack of AC in the gondolas. The amount of time spent waiting in the building is not relevant to how much time is spent on the un air conditioned gondola. The time spent actually on the un air conditioned ferry will generally be less than the time spent on the un air conditioned gondola.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The Mark V had windows that opened, but then the lawyers probably stopped that.

MarkV-02.jpg
IIRC, California's trains still run open windows.

Lift Blog

Using Google Earth and assuming 1000 feet/minute, the longest single section would be 3.9 minutes and the longest possible ride 14.3 minutes from International Gateway to DHS, including 40 second dwell times at each mid-station.

International Gateway to Boardwalk parking lot turn station: 2.3 minutes
Boardwalk parking lot turn station to CBR turn station: 3.4 minutes
CBR turn station to CBR 2: 2.7 minutes
CBR 2 to DHS: 3.9 minutes
CBR 2 to AoA/Pop: 2.9 minutes

Last edited:

tongaloosh

Is World Showcase still opening at 11am? If so, what does this mean for the gondola transportation? Will riders be able to get into the back half of Epcot at 9am? Or will that leg of the transportation system be closed until closer to World Showcase's opening time?

I've never stayed at any of the Epcot resorts, so if there's a protocol for Epcot-area resort guests getting into the park at 9am, it's news to me :oops:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is World Showcase still opening at 11am? If so, what does this mean for the gondola transportation? Will riders be able to get into the back half of Epcot at 9am? Or will that leg of the transportation system be closed until closer to World Showcase's opening time?

I've never stayed at any of the Epcot resorts, so if there's a protocol for Epcot-area resort guests getting into the park at 9am, it's news to me :oops:
The back gate always opened at 9am. The path to the front of the park by going left through England and Canada is open. The way to the right around the lake past France is blocked off. None of the shops or attraction are open, just the path.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom