News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JoeCamel

These systems operate in some of the harshest environments on Earth but there's no question lightning poses a challenge. Keep in mind with the rumored WDW system no one would ever be more than a few minutes from a station. The ski area I work at in Wyoming gets daily afternoon thunderstorms and operates 3 lifts in the summer. Typically, we monitor storms and clear the line of riders when strikes are registered within about 10 miles. Once the lift is stopped, we attach special grounding clamps to the cables. When the storm passes, the clamps come off and the lift is started right back up. I imagine Disney has plenty of experience with lightning monitoring and procedures for other types of rides.

The towns of Telluride and Mountain Village in Colorado operate a gondola transit system with a custom lightning protection system to minimize downtime: http://www.lightningprotection.com/...-village-transportation-case-study-020513.pdf
Nice!

frankc

These systems operate in some of the harshest environments on Earth but there's no question lightning poses a challenge. Keep in mind with the rumored WDW system no one would ever be more than a few minutes from a station. The ski area I work at in Wyoming gets daily afternoon thunderstorms and operates 3 lifts in the summer. Typically, we monitor storms and clear the lines of riders when strikes are registered within about 10 miles. Once the lifts are stopped, we attach special grounding clamps to the cables. When the storm passes, the clamps come off and the lifts are started right back up. I imagine Disney has plenty of experience with lightning monitoring and procedures for other types of rides.

The towns of Telluride and Mountain Village in Colorado operate a gondola transit system with a custom lightning protection system to minimize downtime: http://www.lightningprotection.com/...-village-transportation-case-study-020513.pdf
Thanks great info

Progress.City

IMG_1092.JPG
I guess a transportation system like this is no longer in the cards... (bummer)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd say so. To give you an idea, U.S. ski resorts added zero new gondolas from 2013-2014, only two in 2015 and one in 2016. A five-section system would be the largest ever built in North America. The contract for this may exceed the value of all other lifts (including chairlifts) built in North America combined for the year.

Lift geeks aside, the larger ski industry views the theme park world as somewhat of an enemy.

Any guestimate on what the proposed Disney system would cost?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Where will the maintenance facility be? And also, the route that's been floating around here is probably not accurate. I am 100% certain the gondolas will not travel above buildings and resort rooms.

Going over the resort buildings is probably not ideal, but I don't see why it wouldn't happen. The CBR buildings are only 2 stories tall so height isn't an issue, and the gondolas are silent except when passing over the towers so noise should be an issue.

csmat99

most other mass transit systems aren't easily and completely destroyed by hurricanes though, so building something that could easily be knocked out by a hurricane, in an area know for hurricanes... is like, not such a good idea. It's like building a house of cards in a wind tunnel
Do you do any research before even posting? These systems are all over the world and some in very bad weather areas like the Caribbean or in mountain ranges in europe. We have people called engineers their job is to make sure the stuff they build doesn't fall over even if we had 100 mph winds. The cars of course can handle very high winds usually up to 50-60 mph hour but doesn't matter because all the cars will be stored and pulled off the line in event of hurricane.

NoTime42

Peter here from Lift Blog. I see someone linked to my article a few posts above. You guys can probably tell I've never been to Walt Disney World! However if anyone has technical lift questions I'd be happy to answer them. In addition to my blog about lifts I run a gondola operation at a major ski resort.
Peter,
Thanks for the great info.

Are you aware of any lift systems (like the 3 wire systems) that use one of the stationary wires as power for the gondola cars?
Or are there other means of providing A/C?

csmat99

Hahaaa...!
Yea, even though I spent a massive amount of my '80-'84 serious party years down there, I honestly can't remember the last time I was on 6th St.... :cyclops:
OK, so probably because I was too wasted to remember the last time I was on 6th St....!!! :hilarious: :oops:

Yes, pedestrians, bikes, rickshaws ;), cars, busses, delivery/commercial trucks, light rail, etc., all make so much sense on the same street level. :rolleyes:
Last I heard, there were at least a few tangles in Houston every day between light rail and motor vehicles.
What about the the proposal from a local architect that they bury about 3 Miles of midtown I-35 to make the transition from west-ish to East Austin less..."harsh", I believe was the word used. :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:
And, can you just imagine the cost of trying to build some sort of subway system around here, with all the limestone to get through, along with the aquifers....?! Ain't gonna' happen.
Of all modes of transportation, elevated, of some sort, seems to make the most sense, especially in the downtown area.
But, yep, that will probably never happen in the relatively near future either.
I just hope they won't build it near the bridge don't want to be on one when the bats take off at night. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Flalex72

As much as I would love that, well I think we all would, I couldn't find any evidence of such a system. This leads me to believe it will be the simple case... All 3 lines end at CBR south.

Quoting from someone who likely knows more than I do:

Every detachable lift has a switch that allows carriers to be moved off of the main line onto a maintenance rail. On chairlifts, this is a manual process, but on larger gondolas it happens automatically. This maintenance rail sometimes ascends or descends to another level, with a series of tires or a chain to move the carrier up the hill. In lifts where two separate haul loops meet in the middle, there is usually the capability to have vehicles continue through between loops, or turn back if one section isn't operating. The Doppelmayr Combined Lift Brochure shows how this functionality can be used to separate gondolas from chairs, but it works in many situations. This functionality is easily modified to create a system where cabins move between ropes. It might not currently exist, but it's not revolutionary and could be accomplished with existing designs.

Flalex72

Where will the maintenance facility be? And also, the route that's been floating around here is probably not accurate. I am 100% certain the gondolas will not travel above buildings and resort rooms.

The proposed building at CBR South is large enough to house the maintenance facility.

Going over the resort buildings is probably not ideal, but I don't see why it wouldn't happen. The CBR buildings are only 2 stories tall so height isn't an issue, and the gondolas are silent except when passing over the towers so noise should be an issue.

The Cabriolet Gondola at Mont Tremblant goes over the Marriott there, which is three stories tall. The loudest noise is a small rumble when the grips pass over the sheaves on the towers, but you don't notice it inside the building. Those gondolas are also open-air.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.210...zP2Rf5XYkJIs4uD7niRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Lift Blog

For anyone curious, there are 111 gondolas currently operating in North America in a variety of places - mostly at ski resorts but also zoos, theme parks, adventure parks and cities.
Every detachable lift has a switch that allows carriers to be moved off of the main line onto a maintenance rail. On chairlifts, this is a manual process, but on larger gondolas it happens automatically. This maintenance rail sometimes ascends or descends to another level, with a series of tires or a chain to move the carrier up the hill. In lifts where two separate haul loops meet in the middle, there is usually the capability to have vehicles continue through between loops, or turn back if one section isn't operating. The Doppelmayr Combined Lift Brochure shows how this functionality can be used to separate gondolas from chairs, but it works in many situations. This functionality is easily modified to create a system where cabins move between ropes. It might not currently exist, but it's not revolutionary and could be accomplished with existing designs.

Sure, it's possible but I can't see cabins splitting onto multiple lines being very feasible. The merging back together is even tougher. Especially when high capacity requirements mandate very tight spacing. The switches you speak of are normally only used when parking or launching cabins.

Breckenridge has a chairlift that splits every other chair to a second loading area and from what I hear it is interesting to maintain and has not been tried again.

Last edited:

Flalex72

For anyone curious, there are 111 gondolas currently operating in North America in a variety of places - mostly at ski resorts but also zoos, theme parks, adventure parks and cities.

Sure, it's possible but I can't see cabins splitting onto multiple lines being very feasible. The merging back together is even tougher. Especially when high capacity requirements mandate very tight spacing. The switches you speak of are normally only used when parking or launching cabins.

I doubt it would happen, I just don't want people to think that things are impossible. We're seeing a growing trend of these systems being proposed for urban transport, and a system of allowing carriers to switch lines in real time would be a selling point for a large urban system. A manufacturer could use this system as a technology demonstrator, to show how flexible things are if nothing else.

Lift Blog

Kamikaze

I doubt it would happen, I just don't want people to think that things are impossible. We're seeing a growing trend of these systems being proposed for urban transport, and a system of allowing carriers to switch lines in real time would be a selling point for a large urban system. A manufacturer could use this system as a technology demonstrator, to show how flexible things are if nothing else.

Urban transport is going to be fixed point to fixed point. No track switches, etc. Can you imagine trying to explain a switching system to someone who has never been on it before? This system is going to be separate lines with transfers. Just drop the rest - there is no reason to discuss things that are not going to happen. (Same as 'they should do monorail instead')

SLUSHIE

Breckenridge has a chairlift that splits every other chair to a second loading area and from what I hear it is interesting to maintain and has not been tried again.

I was going to mention this, and I agree about the merging back in thing. With these systems, when they come off the line they don't stop, and they merge back in where they came from.

The chair at Breckenridge is pretty interesting, and I've ridden it a few times but its just a kiddie chair so it's not very appealing to me to ride on it other than how unique the loading station is. I didn't ride it when I was there earlier this winter. A lot of the newer 6 person chairs now have conveyor systems to help people load faster, which I assume is a lot cheaper and possibly just as efficient (though my mom absolutely hates them). Many other 6 person chair, like ones at Heavenly, Northstar and a few others at Breck don't have any weird loading apparatuses at all.

A system where a cabin could come off and people would be able to load at their leisure just ins't very feasible. But actually now that I think about it, while I'm not sure its ever been done, they could potentially include a parallel conveyor to help with loading similar to how they do on some attractions like Haunted Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom