News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

huwar18

It seems like this mode of transportation is the new "future" transportation. I know that places are starting to use this mode. First off, I know it is not the same. I feel like it is the "monorail" of our time. They are starting to pop up in a lot of major cities. Also, I am assuming this system is cheaper than adding another monorail system.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

Attachments

• 225px-Tube_Transport_System.jpg
    225px-Tube_Transport_System.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 94

CaptainAmerica

Animal Kingdom Lodge will be the sole DVC/Deluxe property with one mode of transportation to/from the parks or Disney Springs. Those buses are always overflowing. I would love to see this system link AKL to AK. Any chance of that happening?
No they're not (always overflowing). Not since the addition of dedicated Magic Kingdom busses for Kidani and Jambo.

P_Radden

Yep. It does.

Costs are being justified by the expected increase in popularity of the resorts linked. You know how DVC likes their transportation ;) and the less number of busses required.

Expect this to start work very soon and naturally be ready for the SWL influx.

It has been justified money-wise.

Buses are a finite resource. Roads are clogging. The resorts being serviced will in theory have more people requesting transport..

Serviced resorts? For now the CBR (two stops) and a duel PoP/AoA station.

It isn't for two resorts. It is for new DVC resort, CBR, Pop, AoA on one end ... and YC,BC, BW, Swan and Dolphin on the other end. Another option for EPCOT resort Guests and a new one to sell to the other four resorts, all while taking strain off bus system.

As to a good investment, I would say investing in infrastructure for a resort like Disney has is always a good investment. And, again, they are doing the absolute cheapest alternative to buses they could find. And with the goal of making staying at those resorts more coveted.

From what I know the theme is staying.

I should also add whilst the gondolas theirselves will be theme generic, each of the station complexes will be appropriately themed to their location and to existing adjacent (and proposed) buildings.

@marni1971 Any plans to expand this to other parks and resorts in the works or will they just wait and see how this goes first?

It could be part of something bigger.

Animal Kingdom Lodge will be the sole DVC/Deluxe property with one mode of transportation to/from the parks or Disney Springs. Those buses are always overflowing. I would love to see this system link AKL to AK. Any chance of that happening?

This system? I doubt it.

Something else? Maybe.

This is all the solid info from all the posts in the last 3-4 pages... At least the thread made it 30+ pages before getting derailed. Martin thanks for coming back in here and dropping some knowledge to get this baby back on track.

Last edited:

Tonka's Skipper

But with the units having switchable cars for loading it can be much more efficient as once a monorail stops for loading everything behind it stops. With the switchibg gondola cars can be dispatched when full with no interruption to cars ahead or behind.

Much more efficient and shares the random dispatch feature with buses

I agree, that was my point in another post......with the by pass or side track( whatever the name)........the main line keeps moving.

AKK

Tonka's Skipper

The system is not all that expensive. $10 to $15M per mile covered all in. A fraction of the cost of a monorail or even a surface level light rail. The money saved on operating the fleet of busses would probably mostly offset the cost.

1. The capacity is not as low as you think or as slow. The larger urban gondolas hold 20 to 30 passengers or more. They also travel as fast as 15 to 20 MPH. Seems slow compared to a bus but they fly direct from point A to point B with no stopping for traffic lights. A 3 mile system with 30 gondolas holding 30 people each that takes about 10 minutes to travel the full length would have a capacity over 4,000 people per hour.
  2. The loading and unloading can be done by detaching the gondolas and loading them independent of the cable. This allows the cars to be slowed down for loading and would allow for things like strollers and wheelchairs to be easily pushed in. Think of the way an omnimover loads. It's fast and efficient.
  3. The towers and gondolas could potentially be visible from the parks, but the approach to the park stations should be relatively low to the ground so less intrusive. The view from the new CBR and possibly Boardwalk would be impacted as well.
Yes, we still need a lot of details, but it's doable.

Goof,

1. I did say relatively low and 4000 covered those large resorts and parks is relative low.

2. I agree and made the same point you are in a later post.

3. ! agree...just another expense.

I am sorry, but I am one of the folks that disagree on the monorail costs..........at 10 to 15 mil per mile the gondola and the monorails will not be that far apart.

AKK

raymusiccity

Unfortunatly this would result in a whole heap of discrimination lawsuits
Scooters can't go on chair lifts at ski resorts....No law suits there. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where they're just not able to board, as long as you provide the customer with a viable alternative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom