News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Nubs70

I can't tell if it's trolling or if she actually has serious questions, but I'm guessing it's the former.

On an on-topic note:
I could even see them being small like this, but I'd expect much larger TBH. I guess it depends on how many they can put per line.
Gonodla%2BRound%2BRock%2BFrog-Design-Gondola-Cable-cars1.jpg
I would expect WDW would use.smaller gondolas as the smaller.gondolas can be run in a loop whereas the jumbo gondolas run back and forth with one travelling in each direction. Smaller.gondolas also detach from the high speed traveling line and run on a low spend line for loading and unloading.then reattach to the high speed line.

Cesar R M

I'm thinking a luxury gondola more like this than a traditional sky ride:
View attachment 189663
This is from Whistler mountain in Canada. The lift covers something like 3 miles in about 10 minutes and has 28 of these gondolas that hold up to 28 people. It has an hourly capacity of over 4,000 riders but would be less if it has to make multiple stops. I assume it could also be air conditioned for FL heat. The whole thing cost something like $50M to build a few years ago. Much cheaper than a monorail. I'm pretty sure the thunderstorms would still be a problem for these.
Unless they set lightning arrests/towers in even higher structures around the path..

TinkerBelle8878

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but what about the thunderstorms and all? Those happen all summer long and usually close down things like the railroad and other attractions. So is this gondola usable in that kind of situation? I hardly think a transportation system that is only in service on clear, unwindy days is really any kind well thought out addition/solution. Or in the far future, replacement for monorails?

MagicHappens1971

Just curious, but what will this exactly look like (Based on speculation)? When i first read the rumor i imagine the cars to be colorful and topped with mickey mouse ears, or will this be more identical to the white cars in london?
I'd hope for a subtle themeing, similar to the monorails or the busses. Just a wrap that says Disney Transport or something. Putting Mickey ears on top would look tacky imo

donaldtoo

I can't tell if it's trolling or if she actually has serious questions, but I'm guessing it's the former.

On an on-topic note:
I could even see them being small like this, but I'd expect much larger TBH. I guess it depends on how many they can put per line.
Gonodla%2BRound%2BRock%2BFrog-Design-Gondola-Cable-cars1.jpg

I knew I recognized this, and the "Austin Visitor Center" sign under the lamppost banner and street sign confirmed it.
Just concept art though, 'cause nothing like this currently exists here.
Funny how sometimes (or many times) what's "old" could become new again. ;)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Per Kilometer.

It only travels like half a kilo across the river.
Yep. It does.

Costs are being justified by the expected increase in popularity of the resorts linked. You know how DVC likes their transportation ;) and the less number of busses required.

Expect this to start work very soon and naturally be ready for the SWL influx.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
For Disney to build a gondola, where/how would the recoup the money? They already have the occupancy, so do they raise the price drastically? Raise it to where it matches some of the deluxe resorts in price?
I just think it seems unlikely.
It has been justified money-wise.

Buses are a finite resource. Roads are clogging. The resorts being serviced will in theory have more people requesting transport.

Come back in late summer and say your last line again.

roj2323

Buses are a finite resource. Roads are clogging. The resorts being serviced will in theory have more people requesting transport.

The animation resort is already the busiest bus at DHS. When it opened its bus stop at DHS had to be moved after only a few months because the cue would backup preventing others from getting to their busses. I can totally understand the desire to create a direct access route that eliminates the need for bus service.

21stamps

For only CBR, or for multiple resorts?

roj2323

The theory is that this will drop guests off as "pre screened" so they would only need to pass through the ticket line and not security.
That seems to be the prevailing theory for the monorails and Boat transportation as well. The idea is much like Universal Orlando's model where they push security as far out as they can to the resorts and Transportation hub prior to citywalk.

WDW1974

It's not about liking. I would like if someone had a Venti Non Fat No Whip Iced Mocha sitting on my desk every morning...doesn't mean I think it's going to happen.
I questioned why they were doing it...because to me, putting in a new system of transportation , for 1 or 2 resorts, didn't sound like a good investment.

A few people here gave logical, reasonable, and informative answers to that question.

It isn't for two resorts. It is for new DVC resort, CBR, Pop, AoA on one end ... and YC,BC, BW, Swan and Dolphin on the other end. Another option for EPCOT resort Guests and a new one to sell to the other four resorts, all while taking strain off bus system.

As to a good investment, I would say investing in infrastructure for a resort like Disney has is always a good investment. And, again, they are doing the absolute cheapest alternative to buses they could find. And with the goal of making staying at those resorts more coveted.

WDW1974

Yep. It does.

Costs are being justified by the expected increase in popularity of the resorts linked. You know how DVC likes their transportation ;) and the less number of busses required.

Expect this to start work very soon and naturally be ready for the SWL influx.

You really think this thing can be ready by mid or late 2019 (the earliest SWE could possibly open and I have my doubts about that)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom