News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Also you can definetely have a load point in the middle of the system. There are several examples of this around the world

VERY true. On a smaller scale, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has a sky ride with three stations that connect in a big triangle where you can get on or off at any point in the triangle. The cable is constantly moving, but the cars connect and disconnect from the cable in the stations allowing as much load/unload time as necessary. Granted, these are the smaller 2-4 person cars, but I'm sure the concept can be scaled up.

Sped2424

I am hearing Animal Kingdom is also getting some sort of consideration for transportation. As to whether that will be from the AK lodge into the park or something grander Idk. Just that something other than buses are being considered. Take this with that grain of salt but this all is very interesting.

BrianLo

Also you can definetely have a load point in the middle of the system. There are several examples of this around the world

I guess gondolas aren't really a common thing down in the swamps, but absolutely, I've been on several that have a mid course exit/entry point. There's no reason they couldn't introduce several.

Revelstoke weirdly makes you exit, walk 5 feet and board the next identical gondola. Also a possibility, but would be a bit silly in this scenario.

Mike730

I can't help but notice the proximity to all the water elements... which I have to think is more about some sort of utility/upkeep/infrastructure and not guest stuff.

Has anyone worked out the size of these buildings from the maps?
The largest building at CBR is similar in size to the TTC monorail station, including the Epcot line.

Rob562

OK, so a couple things that occurred to me...

First, what if the small building in the NW corner of CBR isn't a necessarily a *turn* but a *Y* switch? Notice that the shape of that building isn't the same as the one in the Boardwalk parking lot. If those two buildings solely existed to redirect the cable from one direction to another, wouldn't they be virtually identical?

What if the new large building at the southern end of CBR is the maintenance bay? The Y switch in the NW corner would simply route gondolas off to the "spur" that leads to maintenance/storage, meaning the cables over/through Jamaica and Aruba would be empty most of the time.

The big question then would be, where does the 3rd side of this "Y" point? It doesn't point directly at the new DVC highrise. Instead it seems to point at the small pad in the NE corner of CBR, which could just be a footer? That's generally in the direction of OKW and Disney Springs.

Can someone with the overlaid map project that line farther east and see where it would be heading if it did indeed exit out the east of CBR? Where does it go if it goes straight? What if it turns at that NE structure?

(Though I did just realize my theory ignores the Studios station and its alignment...)

-Rob

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wonder how this will work in situations for Severe Storms/Hurricanes and Power outages while the cabin is in mid-transit...
It'll stop running every afternoon? :D

It is indeed a gondola transportation system that's being planned.

A little odd I know given the central Florida climate and it's a shame it's not a WEDway but it is a real thing.

Last edited:

djkidkaz

Ok so as someone mentioned can these gondolas withstand hurricane force winds?

Also no one has mentioned it but what do gondolas have to do with Caribbean Beach? I wonder if the plan is to change the name and theme of CBR?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ok so as someone mentioned can these gondolas withstand hurricane force winds?

Also no one has mentioned it but what do gondolas have to do with Caribbean Beach? I wonder if the plan is to change the name and theme of CBR?
It has been mentioned they have them in the Caribbean.

I rode one in St Thomas last fall. And no, the traditional system doesn't like wind. Or lightning.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

roj2323

Those permits you are referring to are not site plans and do not even show everything even within the areas covered. They are permits with SFWMD and represent modifications to the watershed only. They do not and are not meant to show everything that will be constructed or demolished in the area.

Which is why people are guessing. If you have information, share it or at least tell us where to look.

TP2000

I love this idea!

The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway here in Southern California has revolving cabins that hold two dozen people. The cabins revolve as they travel up/down the mountain from the desert floor so that everyone has the same chance at a decent view, plus it makes it more fun. Perfect for a theme park resort environment.
2009-tramvalley_h_web.jpg

Up in Portland, Oregon they have a tramway that serves as mass transit to/from Oregon Health Sciences University that's up on a steep hill, and it handles thousands of people per day with cabins leaving the stations every few minutes, with heavy commuter traffic in the mornings and evenings (like you'd get to/from theme parks). The tramway cabins are air conditioned, which is rarely neccessary in Portland but would be mandatory most days in Orlando.
Tram-1.jpg

There is plenty of modern tech answers to an aerial tramway in the 21st century. It doesn't just have to be a circa 1970 amusement park skyway, nor an open-air ski lift type operation. I think this would be a really fun way for WDW to tackle their transportation problems, at least in a few areas where ultra-high capacity monorails aren't needed.

jt04

It'll stop running every afternoon? :D

It is indeed a gondola transportation system that's being planned.

A little odd I know given the central Florida climate and it's a shame it's not a WEDway but it is a real thing.

Wel, well. Did you mean to confirm this or is that a typo?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom