News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Magic Feather

At the Riviera have they always asked if you were going to Riviera or Aruba?

It was hard to tell if this was a "direction check" to avoid people thinking they were at the hub or if it was a stuffy exclusionary check that only those going to Riviera or Aruba should get off and everyone else should continue on to the main hub.

Whatever it was supposed to be, it felt very exclusionary and that we were not welcome to get off if not going to Riviera.
Intended as a direction check. In general, the Skyliner station is known to be confusing to first-timers with the way its laid out. Riviera, being the only pass through station, is among the worst of issues. Hence its become standard for guests to be asked if they intend to get off at Aruba/Riviera at that stop. Similarly, guests are asked at the entrance of both sides of that station as to their destination prior to boarding.

TrainsOfDisney

At the Riviera have they always asked if you were going to Riviera or Aruba?

It was hard to tell if this was a "direction check" to avoid people thinking they were at the hub or if it was a stuffy exclusionary check that only those going to Riviera or Aruba should get off and everyone else should continue on to the main hub.

Whatever it was supposed to be, it felt very exclusionary and that we were not welcome to get off if not going to Riviera.
They were asking since day one. Literally. Why would you want to get off at Riviera if you weren’t going to Riviera?

mmascari

They were asking since day one. Literally. Why would you want to get off at Riviera if you weren’t going to Riviera?
We were in Jamaica. The walk from Riviera and from the main hub was just about exactly the same. So, coming from EPCOT, it was easier to get off at Riviera.

However they asked it, it felt very much like it was exclusionary if you were not going to Riviera you shouldn't get off. We just got off anyway after the first time.

They may not have meant it that way, but it's how we perceived it. Like we were sneaking something and getting away with an illicit if mild action.

trainplane3

We were in Jamaica. The walk from Riviera and from the main hub was just about exactly the same. So, coming from EPCOT, it was easier to get off at Riviera.

However they asked it, it felt very much like it was exclusionary if you were not going to Riviera you shouldn't get off. We just got off anyway after the first time.

They may not have meant it that way, but it's how we perceived it. Like we were sneaking something and getting away with an illicit if mild action.
Ya I wouldn't overthink it. Every time I've been on the Epcot line, I was asked. Typically it was "Are you going to Riviera or staying on?" or even "Do you know where you're going?" (which isn't a great way to word it but whatever). I'd just say I'm going to the Hub or Central.

I get the way they asked though. It could be slightly off-putting. Thing is, anyone can go to Riviera so it's not like they can stop you. It's just a hotel. They just want to be sure you know where you're since it's a new system and guests are still learning it. Rather ask the question and annoy someone then have a guest confused and throwing a fit they missed their stop.

Aren't there two exits/entrances at the Riviera station? One that goes to the right and to Riviera and one that goes to the left and more the CBR area?
Yep. One on basically each side since you can't cross between cabins.
1656450371266.png

mmascari

Aren't there two exits/entrances at the Riviera station? One that goes to the right and to Riviera and one that goes to the left and more the CBR area?
There are two sides, but not so much for to Riviera or to CBR.

There's a side that's from the HUB and to EPCOT.
Then, the other side is from EPCOT and to the HUB.

You get on/exit on the side you're traveling. There's no crossing the line inside the station. The nice covered walkway from Riviera only goes to one side. To get to EPCOT, you have to walk around uncovered from Riviera to the far side.

Goofyernmost

Unauthorized "firecracker" during a film production.
Must have been some firecracker
Gondolas don't just burst into flame, something had to trigger that. There really not that much in one that is even flammable. I suppose the windows are probably plastic and that is flammable, but that isn't likely to just up a start burning. Some of it looks a little photoshopped as well.

Goofyernmost

You didn't bother to read the story did you?
No I didn't! I just didn't care that much about 7 year old news. I just looked at the picture and the part the threw me was first the guy standing in the burning gondola just seemed strange. Also those cables would have to have some lubricant on them to ease the way through as well as help prevent them from corrosion so the guy doing handover stuff would have had to be a very strong person of perhaps James Bond.

I could be legit or maybe not, I honestly don't care. If it was actual, fine and I hope they came out of it OK, if not it just looked odd to me in the picture. Whatever the case I'm not interested in pursuing it at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom