News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

mmascari

Yes, there is a service road right next to the skyliner, they could build an alternate bus stop there and I’m guessing it’s in the works already.
This thread is 5 years old and they haven't done it yet. I wouldn't count on it.

There’s a road that goes under the waterway right next to EPCOT that connects Boardwalk to Beach Club. They could probably carve out an area in the woods next to that road on the Beach Club side for a bus stop and then shuttle people back to the front of EPCOT to get on the various buses to the resorts. There is not enough space for multiple bus stops for each resort.

Isn’t that an emergency access road as well as backstage access? I think it’s used on occasion for access to the Millenium Tent. Not sure they would want hordes of Epcot guests queuing for buses every day - the lightning storms are pretty frequent during the summer months.

There's 2 roads that go under the water bridge.

Epcot Resorts Blvd on the Beach Club side. If they wanted a real bus stop, even just 1 to do a loop to all the Skyliner resorts, this would be the best guest experience. Walk over the bridge from IG towards Beach Club. Then either turn right and walk through the woods far enough to get to a bus stop that's not in the dip under the water. Alternatively, cross the bridge to Boardwalk then turn left into those woods and walk far enough to get to a bus stop that's not in the dip under the water. The dip in the road is the biggest obstacle to a single bus limited use stop.

Avenue of the Stars and the little side street that goes to the back of the Skyliner station is the other path. From a functional standpoint, it's poor bus access to get to resorts, but a single bus that only goes to the front of the park bus stops would be very possible. Same limited use, single bus. Just have 1 bus drive a loop from IG to front bus area and back, only carry people one way. This wouldn't be as nice a guest experience as above, but better than walking. It would be all backstage areas and poor show too. Probably need to adjust a road near the front though a current staging area to make it work better. I suppose they could use a bus with screens instead of windows, or just put you in the back of a box truck for the journey. That would solve the back stage part.

I wouldn't wait for either of these after all this time.

Option 3, and sounds like it may be what they're doing, is have you walk all the way to the front of Beach Club or Boardwalk and have a bus to the Skyliner resorts there. It's at least a shorter walk than back to the front of park bus stops. All the physical infrastructure already exists, they just need to divert a bus or two and put out a placard.

Option 3B, same as 3 but you have to take a bus to Disney Springs and then transfer. Doesn't even need a sign then. :p

TrainsOfDisney

This thread is 5 years old and they haven't done it yet. I wouldn't count on it.
But the skyliner hasn’t been open 3 years, which is when the problem would have been obvious to Disney. These plans would take time. It took years for Disney to expand the bus loops at each park into a proper size.
It would be all backstage areas and poor show too.
This hasn’t stopped them at DAK :-/
sounds like it may be what they're doing, is have you walk all the way to the front of Beach Club or Boardwalk and have a bus to the Skyliner resorts there.
Yes, this is what they have been doing from the beginning. I experienced this in early 2020. The walk is .4 miles. Not insignificant.

TrainsOfDisney

Another line going from DHS to Coranado, to Blizzard Beach and then to All stars would be pretty cool
Ideally there would be a small monorail / people mover that would hit each of the 3 all-stars and then head to a central stop at Blizzard beach where skyliners or monorails ran to both DHS and DAK. A separate peoplemover could operate Coronado Springs to this BB transfer station as well.

UpAllNight

This system is absolutely fantastic and there’s been a big team of manufacturers & Imagineers around the main hub station. I got the impression an expansion is up for negotiation / planning

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Isn’t that an emergency access road as well as backstage access? I think it’s used on occasion for access to the Millenium Tent. Not sure they would want hordes of Epcot guests queuing for buses every day - the lightning storms are pretty frequent during the summer months.
There are 2 roads. 1 backstage and one that is public. EPCOT resorts Blvd is the one to the left of the canal in this picture (on the resort side) that connects Beach Club to Boardwalk. They could carve a path down to that road through the small wooded area and have a bus stop. Again, not big enough for multiple resorts but a general shuttle running to the front of the park would be doable.

B1EB3A5D-E9DD-4DCB-BC4F-749A74C9E7B0.png

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There's 2 roads that go under the water bridge.

Epcot Resorts Blvd on the Beach Club side. If they wanted a real bus stop, even just 1 to do a loop to all the Skyliner resorts, this would be the best guest experience. Walk over the bridge from IG towards Beach Club. Then either turn right and walk through the woods far enough to get to a bus stop that's not in the dip under the water. Alternatively, cross the bridge to Boardwalk then turn left into those woods and walk far enough to get to a bus stop that's not in the dip under the water. The dip in the road is the biggest obstacle to a single bus limited use stop.

Avenue of the Stars and the little side street that goes to the back of the Skyliner station is the other path. From a functional standpoint, it's poor bus access to get to resorts, but a single bus that only goes to the front of the park bus stops would be very possible. Same limited use, single bus. Just have 1 bus drive a loop from IG to front bus area and back, only carry people one way. This wouldn't be as nice a guest experience as above, but better than walking. It would be all backstage areas and poor show too. Probably need to adjust a road near the front though a current staging area to make it work better. I suppose they could use a bus with screens instead of windows, or just put you in the back of a box truck for the journey. That would solve the back stage part.

I wouldn't wait for either of these after all this time.

Option 3, and sounds like it may be what they're doing, is have you walk all the way to the front of Beach Club or Boardwalk and have a bus to the Skyliner resorts there. It's at least a shorter walk than back to the front of park bus stops. All the physical infrastructure already exists, they just need to divert a bus or two and put out a placard.

Option 3B, same as 3 but you have to take a bus to Disney Springs and then transfer. Doesn't even need a sign then. :p
The walk to the Beach Club bus stops is pretty short from there. Certainly much shorter than circling back through the whole park. I’d say about 1/3 the distance. BC = red, front of EPCOT = blue
90CE47D6-C968-4DF4-BE95-9088B1FD161A.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

The walk to the Beach Club bus stops is pretty short from there. Certainly much shorter than circling back through the whole park. I’d say about 1/3 the distance. BC = red, front of EPCOT = blue
View attachment 644377
Skyliner to Epcot bus stop is .8 miles.
Skyliner to Beach Club bus stop is .4 miles.
Skyliner to to Boardwalk bus stop is .4 miles.

So yes, it’s 1/2 the distance and also will be a quicker bus ride since Boardwalk is so close to the skyliner resorts.

mmascari

There are 2 roads. 1 backstage and one that is public. EPCOT resorts Blvd is the one to the left of the canal in this picture (on the resort side) that connects Beach Club to Boardwalk. They could carve a path down to that road through the small wooded area and have a bus stop. Again, not big enough for multiple resorts but a general shuttle running to the front of the park would be doable.
EPCOT Resorts Blvd would be horrible for a bus going to the EPCOT bus stop. It would need a new road and a new bridge to avoid going all the way around and in through the main entrance. The other road at least avoids that problem.

Looking at the picture in the next post, once you deal with the road dipping down with shear walls on either side you need to push the stop farther back. Far enough that it's beyond the picture in the first post.

In the second picture, to the north, it's almost all the way to the loading dock area behind that building before you're past the retaining wall. To the South, it's beyond the picture, almost to the back of the building down there.

They wouldn't need the stop to be that far back, but the bus would need to drive that far to access the road.

View attachment 644377

We're staying at a Skyliner resort on our upcoming trip. Shutdown and falling back to busses will be the biggest annoyance for the trip. I definitely wouldn't walk to the front bus stop. I would walk to Boardwalk or Beach Club first, or even to HS.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
EPCOT Resorts Blvd would be horrible for a bus going to the EPCOT bus stop. It would need a new road and a new bridge to avoid going all the way around and in through the main entrance. The other road at least avoids that problem.

Looking at the picture in the next post, once you deal with the road dipping down with shear walls on either side you need to push the stop farther back. Far enough that it's beyond the picture in the first post.

In the second picture, to the north, it's almost all the way to the loading dock area behind that building before you're past the retaining wall. To the South, it's beyond the picture, almost to the back of the building down there.

They wouldn't need the stop to be that far back, but the bus would need to drive that far to access the road.

We're staying at a Skyliner resort on our upcoming trip. Shutdown and falling back to busses will be the biggest annoyance for the trip. I definitely wouldn't walk to the front bus stop. I would walk to Boardwalk or Beach Club first, or even to HS.
We stayed at BC in August when there are daily thunderstorms and it wasn’t too bad. We did have 1 night where we left HS during a storm and got stuffed on a bus. Since there are not normally buses to the EPCOt resorts from DHS it stopped at Swan, Dolphin and YC before getting to BC and it was still going to BW after. It will run in rain as long as there’s no lightning.

JoeCamel

We stayed at BC in August when there are daily thunderstorms and it wasn’t too bad. We did have 1 night where we left HS during a storm and got stuffed on a bus. Since there are not normally buses to the EPCOt resorts from DHS it stopped at Swan, Dolphin and YC before getting to BC and it was still going to BW after. It will run in rain as long as there’s no lightning.
Yeah that fricassee thing.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom