News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

joelkfla

Unless it wasn't an opinion because they know info.
Again, there is no way of knowing with certainty that something "never would have happened" or of knowing what others (the decision makers, in this case) would have done. Anyone's free to express an opinion and draw conclusions from what they know, but stating that they're conclusion can't be argued against because "it's a fact" is ridiculous.

MickeyMinnieMom

It’s not ridiculous when you consider why the skyliner was proposed in the first place. I’m not stating my opinion. Removing bus service and reducing traffic was the exact reason an alternate transport method was pursued and approved. They didn’t do this so they could market something new. In this case I actually very much do know what was on the minds of the decision makers.
Three final thoughts before I climb out of this rabbit hole... ;)

- Any chance that eliminating bus service might not have been realistic -- even if that's what some execs thought?

- Limited bus service would still remove buses (just not all), and you still reduce car traffic (one of your stated goals - which makes sense).

- Adding the gondolas obviously allows them to 1) charge more for Riviera, and 2) increase rates for other attached resorts. Might this be worth the money even if they didn't eliminate bus service?

joelkfla

It’s not ridiculous when you consider why the skyliner was proposed in the first place. I’m not stating my opinion. Removing bus service and reducing traffic was the exact reason an alternate transport method was pursued and approved. They didn’t do this so they could market something new. In this case I actually very much do know what was on the minds of the decision makers.
Even if you have inside information of the reason's given for a decision, that doesn't rule out the possibility that the same decision could have reached for other reasons. I maintain that stating that it never would have happened but for a single factor is an opinion, not a fact.

MickeyMinnieMom

There will be a large reduction in the number of buses on the gondola routes.
If the gondolas prove as successful as they hope those bus routes will be eliminated except in special situations.
Makes sense. That's just a giant "if" IMO... depending on how they operate them in bad weather, comfort, etc.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Makes sense. That's just a giant "if" IMO... depending on how they operate them in bad weather, comfort, etc.

Yea, definitely a big "if." I can definitely see Disney wanting to eliminate a some buses if they have two but I feel like a lot of people will be afraid to use the gondola system. I could be wrong there.

Also, I see in your signature that you'll be at WDW in Late Oct/Early Nov. I'll be there the same time! Woot woot!

MickeyMinnieMom

Bad weather would be one of the special situations.
But how often is Disney's operational threshold reached? How twitchy will they be about that? That's more where my questions lie.

In August I could imagine there being near-daily disruptions depending on that threshold... they might find higher guest satisfaction if they offer regular LIMITED bus service as an alternative in that situation. Will be interesting to see.

Bender123

Like during the thunderstorms that happen 242 days of the year?

If you really want to see the impact of this, go to a bus station and observe the lines for busses throughout the day...The midafternoon T-Storm is usually during a low traffic time for the transportation system and the storms actually drive its use down even further.

The expectation is that storms have a minimal impact on the actual movement of people from point to point on property...the only time this would have any tangible impact would be at park open and park close.

peter11435

Three final thoughts before I climb out of this rabbit hole... ;)

- Any chance that eliminating bus service might not have been realistic -- even if that's what some execs thought?

- Limited bus service would still remove buses (just not all), and you still reduce car traffic (one of your stated goals - which makes sense).

- Adding the gondolas obviously allows them to 1) charge more for Riviera, and 2) increase rates for other attached resorts. Might this be worth the money even if they didn't eliminate bus service?
- I still fully expect bus service to be eliminated once the system is fully operational and running smoothly. So I would say it was realistic even if plans may change.

- I’m still not sure how successful limited bus service would be. You can’t remove buses without drastically increasing the interval between buses. Guests never respond well to that.

- Possibly. But I don’t believe we have actually seen an increase at those resorts yet. I don’t think we can definitively say how how much more people are or are not willing to pay for skyliner access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom