News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

truecoat

I apologize if this has been covered before earlier in this thread, as I've come and gone and I'm sure I haven't seen every message. But has there been any speculation on just how long it would take to construct this rumored gondola system and get it into actual operation? Obviously we don't have any official word on anything, but I just wonder if folks familiar with the proposed plans and the ins and outs of constructing systems like this would have any idea.

I found information on a 10 passenger gondola lift built in Vail covering 2 miles. It started construction in April 2012 and opened in November 2012 so they can be built rather quickly.

I'd say the one at Disney World will take 36 months.

Lift Blog

I found information on a 10 passenger gondola lift built in Vail covering 2 miles. It started construction in April 2012 and opened in November 2012 so they can be built rather quickly.

I'd say the one at Disney World will take 36 months.
Ski resorts build in 5-7 months because they have to. The urban systems with large station buildings in La Paz, Medellin, London, etc. seem to be taking 18-24 months from groundbreaking to revenue service. The actual lift equipment can go up pretty quickly.

Last edited:

macfreak

There is the Portland Aerial Tram
and
Roosevelt Island Tramway
Just a few of the aerial trams and I'm sure in NYC they have lots of storms and such weather to deal with.

I would assume if this company can do this Disney could either hire them to do it or do something like it. This one moves 2800 people an hour there is another one i read about that moves 3200 people an hour and thats with 10 passenger ones. They make them in 15 and 20 so no reason Disney could not do a 20 passenger one or even larger.

If you look at this video they can operate these year around with little maintenance and such why could Disney not do it?

Cesar R M

There is the Portland Aerial Tram
and
Roosevelt Island Tramway
Just a few of the aerial trams and I'm sure in NYC they have lots of storms and such weather to deal with.

I would assume if this company can do this Disney could either hire them to do it or do something like it. This one moves 2800 people an hour there is another one i read about that moves 3200 people an hour and thats with 10 passenger ones. They make them in 15 and 20 so no reason Disney could not do a 20 passenger one or even larger.

If you look at this video they can operate these year around with little maintenance and such why could Disney not do it?

That double rotor helicopter got me puzzled.. never seen that design before.

HauntedMansionFLA

Even if they get rid of a true 'value' resort... What do you think Flamingo Crossings will be... A value resort not run by Disney made up of various low budget hotels!
I know. I thought that was a waste of land that could have been developed for Disney owned projects down the road (the always rumored 5th gate)

lazyboy97o

I know. I thought that was a waste of land that could have been developed for Disney owned projects down the road (the always rumored 5th gate)
The fifth gate is not a rumor, just fantasy. Disney still owns Flamingo Crossing (for the time being at least) and the land is cut off by a limited access state highway. The Reedy Creek Comprehensive Plan still assumes there is enough room for at least two more theme parks.

Last edited:

rael ramone

Here's an onboard ride of Medillin's transit system. While having to be much higher than the one WDW will use, you get a good look at how open these gondolas feel with all the glass at around the 1:35 mark.

Thanks for posting this!

Saw 10 minutes of it. Very impressed with, what is essentially Public Transportation in a city in a Frontier Market nation to look to be in that good condition.

It can definitely start out looking good. If they go by the standards of old it can stay looking good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom