News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GCTales

Been lurking for a while and reading this thread in fascination.

Putting this here just for eye candy and reference if there is ever an indication that Disney will expand the monorail (didn't know where else to put it).

Not to detract from our discussions on the gondola, but I came across this gem on the Osaka monorail, which includes switching tracks.

(full article on monorails)
http://mb.ntd.tv/2017/03/06/amazing-osaka-monorail-japan-civil-engineering-discoveries/

(link to youtube video of the Osaka monorail switches in action)

Bocabear

If this is completely greenlit it will probably not be finished for more than a year...I think it will be buses for your August trip

BEARSHOUSE4

If this is completely greenlit it will probably not be finished for more than a year...I think it will be buses for your August trip
I figured that. I was more referring to how Disney was offering to relocate some guests at CBR because of construction. If they had similar construction at POP or AOA...

Grimley1968

I figured that. I was more referring to how Disney was offering to relocate some guests at CBR because of construction. If they had similar construction at POP or AOA...

Since the new building would be in the middle of the lake and avoids any existing buildings, I would imagine the impact to guests staying there would be pretty minimal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

At most they would have to close the bridge between AOA and Pop. This should have minimal impact on these two resorts. The impacts at CBR are less about the gondola system and more about the other major changes coming to the resort.

Creathir

I'd be surprised. Given its out in the middle of the lake, it's unlikely to be a cause of disturbing noises and what not.

Though you never know. Maybe they feel the construction traffic alone would be worthy of compensating some of the guests?

bcoachable

I think it's odd that the gondola from CBR to Epcot will go over Buena Vista and then just hug the side of the road so you'll be looking at traffic down below.

I agree that it may not look awesome to look down at traffic from a gondola- but think of the families driving by... "daddy, why can't we ride that??"

Flalex72

I am a little surprised that they are going over water, but I like it!!

My question about going over water is how that impacts safety features, i.e. rescues in the case where a vehicle (or vehicles) are "stuck".

The installation of a boat launch at the north end of the lake serves two purposes, it makes it easy to launch boats to assist with construction, and it makes it easy to launch boats to catch people in the unlikely event they have to be lowered from the cabins.

halltd

I think it's odd that the gondola from CBR to Epcot will go over Buena Vista and then just hug the side of the road so you'll be looking at traffic down below.

I agree that it may not look awesome to look down at traffic from a gondola- but think of the families driving by... "daddy, why can't we ride that??"
Kind of like the Epcot monorail as it parallels World Drive...looking down on traffic with lots of cars driving below?

Tom P.

I apologize if this has been covered before earlier in this thread, as I've come and gone and I'm sure I haven't seen every message. But has there been any speculation on just how long it would take to construct this rumored gondola system and get it into actual operation? Obviously we don't have any official word on anything, but I just wonder if folks familiar with the proposed plans and the ins and outs of constructing systems like this would have any idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom