News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

Not sure if this has been covered yet- apologizes if so- but those things seem to be moving fast. How will people who aren't spry anymore be able to hop off and on so quickly? Will they slow it down for those who need more time, like the omnimovers? Will it move slower in actual use? Will scooters or strollers be allowed?
They slow down for loading and the terminal stations have an additional accessible loading area that is even slower.

eliza61nyc

Hey, remember how deafening the gondolas were going to be going over the sheaves, ramping down coming into the station, and the noise of the fly wheel motor not allowing for any piece of mind passing under it near a station?...

LMAO, Those aren't real birds you're hearing, we're going to have to pay an upcharge for the tweeting birds.

QuasiNoFroyo

While I'm not entirely certain that I will ever ride these, I hope to see some gondolas themed to Alice in Wonderland, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King, Hunchback, Hercules, Tarzan, Emperor's New Groove, Tangled, Big Hero 6, Bug's Life, Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, and Inside Out. Aristocats, Robin Hood, Pocahontas, and Mulan might also work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hey, remember how deafening the gondolas were going to be going over the sheaves, ramping down coming into the station, and the noise of the fly wheel motor not allowing for any piece of mind passing under it near a station?...

Hey, remember how some posters use hyperboyle and revisionist history to try to make their point? Because... the real conversation never had anything about 'deafening'.. and in fact quite the opposite. And these videos aren't even shot from the area that was being discussed.

But hey.. let's not let facts get in the way of a good jab...

The real posts..

I mean... In paranoid disney land these days no way these gondolas move where near where a guest would be able to reach or obstruct. I just can't visualize how they will do it yet... or avoid the noise in the major walkway

(this was about the very base of the IG station.. because the concept art shows the gondolas rising right at the edge of the walkway)

Significantly larger vehicles.. significantly higher speeds. There is quite a bit of noise as a cabin gets accelerated to the line speed when it 'joins' the line and there is noise as they traverse the wheel sets on the towers. You have that happening in very close proximity to exposed guests here at IG.
(again.. talking about the area at the base of the station... not out past the first tower)

Isn't there a 'woosh' as the cabins accellerate and displace all that air? I guess it's reduced by the fact it's all open air... but there is still a lot of tire contact being made, and a large block of air being displaced by this big mass being accelerated into 10-12mph.
Well I never thought it would drown out conversation... just that it will be a large volume of noise in a space that normally only has background music to be pleasing. My point was they can’t use distance to mitigate the noise when the walkway (and only path) in the area is so walled in by the skyliner.

Noise tolerance is a relative thing... it’s like the monorail... it’s quiet relative to other transport.. but not silent. And here the cabins will be passing by much more frequently.

The proximity is still quite interesting to see how it pans out.

What I find most interesting in hindsight is just how far away the guest path is actually from the transition zone at the edge of the station.. when you finally see where that happens and add in the distance the first rising tower adds.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like this... I'll upload the file later.
Been onSeen#ColorCharacters
200​
RedPluto, Chip and Dale, Mickey and Minnie
201​
RedChip and Dale, Pluto, Mickey and Minnie
203​
RedPirates of the Caribbean
208​
RedWreck it Ralph
209​
PurpleHaunted Mansion
210​
PurpleSnow White and the Seven Dwarves
211​
PurpleMonsters Inc.
212​
PurpleStitch
216​
GreenZootopia
217​
GreenDucktales
218​
GreenPete, Goofy, Horace and Clarabelle
222​
RedToy Story
223​
RedPeter Pan
229​
BlueGuardians of the Galaxy
231​
BlueBeauty and the Beast
235​
OrangeCoco
238​
OrangeFinding Nemo
239​
OrangeToy Story
240​
OrangeWreck it Ralph
241​
OrangeStar Wars
let me introduce you to google sheets :)

halltd

Since there are trees on either side of the gravel, putting solar panels there wouldn't make much sense. Are you sure they were solar panels?
Definitely not sure. Someone get pics, please! They’re on the North side of the gravel, they’re pretty large rectangular panels maybe every 30 feet or so, and they’re installed at about a 45 degree angle. I don’t know what they are, but solar panel was the first reference I could come up with. Lol.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
PDF of the cabin list. Started it at 001 and then skipped to 200 because we aren't sure the numbering between that yet.
So here's my first cut at a spreadsheet based on Rteetz's excellent list... note that it provides spots for you to enter the date you rode on it, the date you saw it, and which lines you saw/rode it on...

Lensman

Definitely not sure. Someone get pics, please! They’re on the North side of the gravel, they’re pretty large rectangular panels maybe every 30 feet or so, and they’re installed at about a 45 degree angle. I don’t know what they are, but solar panel was the first reference I could come up with. Lol.
Are you talking about the panels on the left side of the service way in this picture? Looks to me like the kind that charge a battery for signage or lighting. Maybe it's for wifi access points?

Edited to add: I don't see anything like them through the parking lots or any of the other stretches of the Skyliner line, but I also haven't been able to find pictures of the stretch through the trees along Buena Vista Drive. I'm sure there's some simple explanation, but it's fun to speculate, as always!

Picture credit to blogmickey (obviously)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Are you talking about the panels on the left side of the service way in this picture? Looks to me like the kind that charge a battery for signage or lighting. Maybe it's for wifi access points?
View attachment 371419
Picture credit to blogmickey (obviously)

I wasnt imagining something that small from his description, but these make sense as solar panels to, as you say, charge sonething near them, as opposed to general power generation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you look at the photo, you can see them every 30 or 50 feet. I count three, maybe four in the photo.

Edit: thanks, Joel! There’s another just to the right of the pylon.

Can't imagine what they could be for. If they needed lights they could put them on the towers since there is power running to the tops of the towers.

halltd

Here is a closeup picture. They are facing South so they would get a good bit of sun.

View attachment 371526
Maybe they power some sort of intrusion alarm to alert security if someone attempts to drive or walk down that “road”? Still seems like it could just be powered with real power, though. Lol.

When I drove by the other day, I was actually wondering why they didn’t turn the path under the towers into a functional space. The distance to CBR is about the same as Beach Club from DHS, so they could’ve made a walking path that doubled as an egress access for emergency trucks. Make the area pretty and functional instead of just a gross gravel swath sliced through the woods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom