News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Missing20K

I'm not sure if its been posted on this thread yet, sorry if it has, but i have a few questions:
  1. how many people an hour can this system handle?
  2. do the gondolas have AC?
  3. How do they evacuate the gondolas in a stoppage emergency (over land and over water)?
  4. Are the gators in the water?
  5. what about the florida lightening?
  6. will the gondola resorts still have bus service?
am i missing something?
April Fool's Day was yesterday. ;)

Doug Means

1. alot
  2. no
  3. very carefully
  4. most likely
  5. think of it as a tower of terror bonus scene if you end up being struck whilst riding
  6. yes
not being snarky, but there's answers to these questions in the past 800 pages. I realize that you shouldn't have to wade through 800 pages of answers, but these questions are literally posted every couple days, along with the various death scenarios for each. *sigh.
i know, it was a small attempt at humor

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
i know, it was a small attempt at humor
Good job hooking a few big ones!

joelkfla

I filmed the operation of the 2nd loop at DHS. Security wouldn't let me stand on a bench, so I had to hold my phone above my head the whole time, which made it a bouncy video (my phone doesn't have image stabilization.)

Anyway, the operation is as expected. There are 3 positions on the loop; call them A, B, & C. 2 cabins sit in the loop at A & B, presumably A is unloading & B is loading. When ready, they move ahead simultaneously to B & C, C being just short of the switch onto the main loop. A few seconds later, a 3rd cabin moves off the main loop into position A, while the cabin in C takes it's place on the main loop. So we're back to cabins at A & B, where they remain until the cycle repeats. The departing cabin appears to always pause at position C for a few seconds, waiting for the next cabin to enter the 2nd loop.

So at the start of the video, you can see 2 cabins in the loop, one at the bottom of the loop (B), and another mostly hiding behind a pole at A. Both start moving @0:04. Position B is at a bad angle and partly blocked, but the 2nd cabin appears to stop @0:20, and the lead cabin stops at C @0:27. A 3rd cabin enters the loop @0:29, and the lead cabin starts moving onto the main track @0:33. The 3rd cabin reached position A @0:40.

6 cabins pass by on the main loop, before the cabins in the 2nd loop start advancing @1:32. 2 more cabins pass by before the 2nd cabin stops at C @1:56. The 2nd cabin departs C onto the mainline @2:01, with it's doors closed.

So during this test, after a cabin entered the 2nd loop, the 9th cabin following was the next to enter the loop. The 2nd cabin was stationary at the load position for 72 seconds. The 3rd cabin was stationary for unload for 52 seconds.

Goofyque'

I filmed the operation of the 2nd loop at DHS. Security wouldn't let me stand on a bench, so I had to hold my phone above my head the whole time, which made it a bouncy video (my phone doesn't have image stabilization.)

Anyway, the operation is as expected. There are 3 positions on the loop; call them A, B, & C. 2 cabins sit in the loop at A & B, presumably A is unloading & B is loading. When ready, they move ahead simultaneously to B & C, C being just short of the switch onto the main loop. A few seconds later, a 3rd cabin moves off the main loop into position A, while the cabin in C takes it's place on the main loop. So we're back to cabins at A & B, where they remain until the cycle repeats. The departing cabin appears to always pause at position C for a few seconds, waiting for the next cabin to enter the 2nd loop.

So at the start of the video, you can see 2 cabins in the loop, one at the bottom of the loop (B), and another mostly hiding behind a pole at A. Both start moving @0:04. Position B is at a bad angle and partly blocked, but the 2nd cabin appears to stop @0:20, and the lead cabin stops at C @0:27. A 3rd cabin enters the loop @0:29, and the lead cabin starts moving onto the main track @0:33. The 3rd cabin reached position A @0:40.

6 cabins pass by on the main loop, before the cabins in the 2nd loop start advancing @1:32. 2 more cabins pass by before the 2nd cabin stops at C @1:56. The 2nd cabin departs C onto the mainline @2:01, with it's doors closed.

So during this test, after a cabin entered the 2nd loop, the 9th cabin following was the next to enter the loop. The 2nd cabin was stationary at the load position for 72 seconds. The 3rd cabin was stationary for unload for 52 seconds.

Oooh! Content! Thanks for posting. I got stopped standing on a bench trying for a picture when the were building Y&Y. Fortunately, I have long monkey arms.

Great video!!! Thanks!

begood524

I know that it has previously been stated that the system will not officially open in phases, but is it possible for there to be phased soft openings? It seems like the HS and Pop lines are much farther along than the Epcot line in terms of both testing and station construction.

Surferboy567

I know that it has previously been stated that the system will not officially open in phases, but is it possible for there to be phased soft openings? It seems like the HS and Pop lines are much farther along than the Epcot line in terms of both testing and station construction.

I could be wrong but I feel this will open in some way earlier then expected whatever way that takes....I'm not sure

deeevo

I could be wrong but I feel this will open in some way earlier then expected whatever way that takes....I'm not sure
I dunno... I don't think all the stations are completely built and all the lines haven't even started testing yet. We have just seen the Hollywood to CB and CB to Pop line running correct? Still need Riviera and EPCOT lines tested and stations fully operational.....

jt04

I dunno... I don't think all the stations are completely built and all the lines haven't even started testing yet. We have just seen the Hollywood to CB and CB to Pop line running correct? Still need Riviera and EPCOT lines tested and stations fully operational.....

All the lines are testing and seem to be following the same protocols. Epcot is a bit different since it is a much longer line and also involves a turn and construction zone.

The real issue is getting the stations ready for guests. Still think it goes operational before summer but that is just my hunch. Definitely before August 29th barring circumstances such as a natural disasters.

joelkfla

All the stations are believed to be mechanically complete and fully operable. Construction continues on the structures and surrounding areas.

Riviera & Epcot are on a single line.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
All the lines are testing and seem to be following the same protocols. Epcot is a bit different since it is a much longer line and also involves a turn and construction zone.

The real issue is getting the stations ready for guests. Still think it goes operational before summer but that is just my hunch. Definitely before August 29th barring circumstances such as a natural disasters.

We have not seen any full line testing on Epcot yet, we have only seen testing in the turn station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom