• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner - Every Possible What If ....? Has Been Discussed.

iowamomof4

Guests at CBR already cross that road in two places just over the bridge from the new crosswalk, highlighted in yellow here. I think the new crosswalk is approximately where the red circle is and there is also a second new crosswalk a bit to the left of my red circle.

peter11435

Advertisement
Guests at CBR already cross that road in two places just over the bridge from the new crosswalk, highlighted in yellow here. I think the new crosswalk is approximately where the red circle is and there is also a second new crosswalk a bit to the left of my red circle.

View attachment 350515
Very few guests actually cross the road. The yellow circle on the right connects parking lots and is rarely used. Most guests use the path to the left of your other circle that goes under the bridge along the water. Additionally the only guests needing to cross that road currently are those staying in Trinidad South. Far more guests will now need to cross the road and will not have the under bridge option currently available.

iowamomof4

Very few guests actually cross the road. The yellow circle on the right connects parking lots and is rarely used. Most guests use the path to the left of your other circle that goes under the bridge along the water. Additionally the only guests needing to cross that road currently are those staying in Trinidad South. Far more guests will now need to cross the road and will not have the under bridge option currently available.
Fair point, but the previous poster seemed to be saying it was unprecedented to have guests at CBR crossing that road at all and I just wanted to point out there were already 2 crosswalks on that road just a little ways away from the new ones.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They should just put in a crosswalk with clearly marked signs and a stop sign. I feel like if cars/buses are forced to stop for a stop sign they are much less likely to run down a pedestrian. If it became a major problem they could even add a traffic light with a pedestrian crossing button. I think stop signs and a cross walk should be good enough to solve the problem.

peter11435

Fair point, but the previous poster seemed to be saying it was unprecedented to have guests at CBR crossing that road at all and I just wanted to point out there were already 2 crosswalks on that road just a little ways away from the new ones.
Correct. And it’s certainly not uncommon for guests to have to cross traffic to access transportation. SSR, OKL and FW all come to mind.

joelkfla

I still cannot believe Disney would want CBR Guests crossing that main entry roadway to get to Gondola station. Bus traffic and car traffic is pretty high, and at park openings or closings I’d think lots of Guests would be crossing....which could lead to roadway congestion.

Solution is to build an offshoot of the main promenade to go under the bridge alongside the lake....then follow the shoreline to the Station.
It's not on the main entry road. Only cars coming or going to Barbados or Trinidad (55% of the remaining units), or Old Port Royale go that way. The crosswalk is beyond the entrance to the Jamaica parking. They might put a stop sign at the crosswalk.

Last edited:

iowamomof4

It's not on the main entry road. Only cars coming or going to Barbados or Trinidad (55% of the remaining units), or Old Port Royale go that way. The crosswalk is beyond the entrance to the Jamaica parking. They might put a stop sign at the crosswalk.

I don't see a 2nd new crosswalk in the image.
I snipped this from Bioreconstruct's photo. I think I've circled the two future crosswalks correctly.

iowamomof4

How long does it take to do the landscaping around buildings like these Skyliner stations? It seems like construction of the stations themselves is where most of the work remains and it also seems like the pace of that construction has slowed considerably over the last month or so. But then I consider that one of the reasons it looks like there is so much work left to do is because the ground remains all torn up around the stations and that could all be fixed up pretty quickly with sod, bushes, and flower beds. So I guess I just wondered what people think about everything left to do on the stations and how much work actually remains.

lazyboy97o

They should just put in a crosswalk with clearly marked signs and a stop sign. I feel like if cars/buses are forced to stop for a stop sign they are much less likely to run down a pedestrian. If it became a major problem they could even add a traffic light with a pedestrian crossing button. I think stop signs and a cross walk should be good enough to solve the problem.
There seems to be a widespread belief that stop signs and red lights are optional in Florida.

How long does it take to do the landscaping around buildings like these Skyliner stations? It seems like construction of the stations themselves is where most of the work remains and it also seems like the pace of that construction has slowed considerably over the last month or so. But then I consider that one of the reasons it looks like there is so much work left to do is because the ground remains all torn up around the stations and that could all be fixed up pretty quickly with sod, bushes, and flower beds. So I guess I just wondered what people think about everything left to do on the stations and how much work actually remains.
Area Development work can be done in a few days depending on the design.

surfsupdon

I see your points and I certainly did not mean that it was ‘unprecedented’ to cross the street.

This road has now become the main artery to CBR; it used to just be part of the circle, and it was on the far side of the long way around. OPR now houses registration, so all DME buses and drop offs pass this route in addition to Disney Transport and anyone heading to Trinidad, Barbados, OPR, or Martinique. It is now the main entry road and has far more congestion.

A gondola hub to head to Epcot or the Studios from CBR will have far more Guests accessing this stop compared to an individual bus stop servicing a portion of a Resort (OKW SS). More people having to cross a road now with more vehicle traffic.

Perhaps I’m the minority, but I foresee this area becoming pretty chaotic.

joelkfla

This road has now become the main artery to CBR; it used to just be part of the circle, and it was on the far side of the long way around. OPR now houses registration, so all DME buses and drop offs pass this route in addition to Disney Transport and anyone heading to Trinidad, Barbados, OPR, or Martinique. It is now the main entry road and has far more congestion.
Barbados and half of Martinique no longer exist; they were demolished for Riviera. So it's only the main entrance road for half of the units. But you're right that all Guests will pass the point for check-in, whether driving or arriving by DME.

Disney Transport drivers are trained not to hit pedestrians.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't know that they'd renamed Trinidad North to Barbados. Same number of units, though, exactly 1/2 of the resort.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

Based on the discussion in this thread, the skyliner will be much more dangerous then crossing the road to get to it. ;)
I want to clarify again. I am not saying that crossing this road is dangerous; but rather that with the increased pedestrian and vehicle traffic merging at one spot, I can see times of back up on Seabreeze Drive.

To keep the flow of vehicle traffic easily flowing, build a pedestrian walk under the bridge, similar to the opposite shoreline.

Top Bottom